York University/Lombardo..........

Winnipeg Fury

York soccer team stripped of four wins

Oct 03, 2008 05:14 PM

DAVID GROSSMAN

SPORTS REPORTER

The York University's men's soccer team has been stripped of four victories for using an ineligible player.

Andrea Lombardo, a 6-foot-2 forward, was a senior roster member of the Toronto FC soccer team and played in a game for that professional team last April.

His participation violated Ontario University Athletics and Canadian Interuniversity Sport rules. Those rules permit participation in Major League Soccer, but only as a member of a developmental roster.

The OUA said Lombardo's participation was in violation of rules, which state that "student-athletes must have an amateur status in order to be eligible for participation in OUA sports."

To have been eligible to play for York, Lombardo would have had to wait one year from his last professional game.

Lombardo, a first-year arts student at York, scored two goals in the Lions' 3-0 win over Waterloo and also played in a 5-0 win over Guelph, a 3-1 win over McMaster and a 1-0 victory over Brock.

York drops from first place in the OUA to fifth spot and has a 3-4-1 record.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

What's more shocking? Playing Lombardo as an ineligible player-something they should have known-or the fact that Lombardo actually scored?

Is this not the Paul James led program.. York soccer under his direction ?

Seems like a black mark on his supposed professionalism.. harkens back to his days in Singapore no doubt.

and yes its a shock Lombardo scored.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Is this not the Paul James led program.. York soccer under his direction ?

Seems like a black mark on his supposed professionalism.. harkens back to his days in Singapore no doubt.

and yes its a shock Lombardo scored.

Paul James isn't the coach of the men's team. It's tough for me to put the blame on PJ since we don,t know who is in charge of verifying that kind of things. I would like to hear PJ on the issue.

In Singapore, PJ did nothing wrong. He was one of the guy who gave up the story and in the present case York self-declared the case of Lombardo so it doesn't look that bad in the end.

James is in responsible for and in charge of both men's and women's programs. He is the York soccer "Master Coach" and "Director of Soccer." He loves to talk about bringing "professionalism" into the CIS, just never thought he actually meant bringing professionals.

I still don't understand why Srdjan Djekanovic was allowed to play last season and Andrea Lombardo is not this year. Being on the DEV roster doesn't hold water as an excuse. Srdjan was being paid by TFC (sure, it was very little, but he was still being paid by a professional team).

I consider it hypocrisy if they allowed one player and not the other.

The other thing to keep in mind is the spirit of the entire University soccer system. Lombardo is what, 21 years old? These are the kind of players we should be encouraging to go back to school if their attempts at a professional career have floundered.

Hopefully we can get some answers.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I still don't understand why Srdjan Djekanovic was allowed to play last season and Andrea Lombardo is not this year. Being on the DEV roster doesn't hold water as an excuse. Srdjan was being paid by TFC (sure, it was very little, but he was still being paid by a professional team).

The other thing to keep in mind is the spirit of the entire University soccer system. Lombardo is what, 21 years old? These are the kind of players we should be encouraging to go back to school if their attempts at a professional career have floundered.

I am not sure who informed us of this, perhaps Srdjan's coach Mosher who came on this site a few years ago, or someone else.

Srdjan was development roster at TFC, was paid accordingly (17,000 a year isn't it?), and never lost his university status. The new rule, instated a few years ago, allows Canadian players to play for certain pro teams, under this lower status (development or USL equivalent), be paid, and not lose CIS eligibility. I wish I could find the post because I thought it interesting, but the article seemed clear enough. I am not going to look for the original rule.

But it should have been clear enough for York and Lombardo to have known better. But considering they have to send in a list of players on their roster, why wasn't it checked and why didn't someone advise them of Lombardo's ineligibility?

Just a comment on Srdjan: in a perfectly rule-governed world he should have lost his status for having played in Serbia in first division, where he was paid (as a teenager). The hitch was that the team never officially registered a contract, his salary was not registered anywhere either, he made it sound like financially and legally a good part of Serbian football was under the table. Now he was probably paid a rather small, symbolic sum, given the teams (one was a struggling 1st div side where he was 2nd keeper, then he signed for a team in 3rd tier with prospects of promoting because of its history and fan base, though they didn't go up). If he reads this he'll kill me but no one can take away his eligibility because it is technically sound. Even if someone were to accuse him of having played pro above the status established, officially and financially and legally he never did. Which is why he will be there to lead UBC to their third CIS championship in 4 years.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I am not sure who informed us of this, perhaps Srdjan's coach Mosher who came on this site a few years ago, or someone else.

Srdjan was development roster at TFC, was paid accordingly (17,000 a year isn't it?), and never lost his university status. The new rule, instated a few years ago, allows Canadian players to play for certain pro teams, under this lower status (development or USL equivalent), be paid, and not lose CIS eligibility. I wish I could find the post because I thought it interesting, but the article seemed clear enough. I am not going to look for the original rule.

But it should have been clear enough for York and Lombardo to have known better. But considering they have to send in a list of players on their roster, why wasn't it checked and why didn't someone advise them of Lombardo's ineligibility?

Just a comment on Srdjan: in a perfectly rule-governed world he should have lost his status for having played in Serbia in first division, where he was paid (as a teenager). The hitch was that the team never officially registered a contract, his salary was not registered anywhere either, he made it sound like financially and legally a good part of Serbian football was under the table. Now he was probably paid a rather small, symbolic sum, given the teams (one was a struggling 1st div side where he was 2nd keeper, then he signed for a team in 3rd tier with prospects of promoting because of its history and fan base, though they didn't go up). If he reads this he'll kill me but no one can take away his eligibility because it is technically sound. Even if someone were to accuse him of having played pro above the status established, officially and financially and legally he never did. Which is why he will be there to lead UBC to their third CIS championship in 4 years.

Thanks for clearing that up Jeffrey. By the way, I have nothing against Srdjan. Just wanted to be clear about the difference. I think its good that these athletes take education seriously as well. Canada isn't like the US when it comes to University sports. You really have to earn your way in. I respect any player who pursues education.

I'm pretty sure Lombardo was on the senior roster on opening day. He was dropped later on to the DEV roster.

I'm guessing the reason no one caught this earlier is that someone sinister wanted York U. to lose the points in the games he played.

I still think its splitting hairs. I guess Lombardo will have to wait until next year to play for York U.

So how does this affect their playoff chances?

In most countries around the world, players who combine a university carrier with pro football are far and between but they do exist in almost every country.

I know of three cases in south america, Bilardo ARG (medical doctor), Maturana COL (Dentist) and Tabarez URU (Teacher). All these professionals combine football with school while they were young. They were both, pro footballers and university students.

I don't agree with prohibiting young pro football players securing a future for their post soccer carrier. Not a very smart move IMO.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Eric

In most countries around the world, players who combine a university carrier with pro football are far and between but they do exist in almost every country.

I know of three cases in south america, Bilardo ARG (medical doctor), Maturana COL (Dentist) and Tabarez URU (Teacher). All these professionals combine football with school while they were young. They were both, pro footballers and university students.

I don't agree with prohibiting young pro football players securing a future for their post soccer carrier. Not a very smart move IMO.

The percentage of footballers who get a university education while still playing must be miniscule, probably around 2-3%. For a long time I was impressed that Alfonso del Corral, Real Madrid team doctor, was a former player, until I learnt he was a former basketball player. At Barça only one was studying, Olegeur, an economics major, but since he left for Ajax there are none. Bilbao has a player who was brought in from a 3rd tier Basque team, Koikili, who has a history degree and worked as a consultant in Bilbao until getting signed for a 1st division side. The only degree on that team.

I really wish I can find the info on that rule because it was surprising and the article or rule would clear this issue up.

No one is doing that.. Lombardo .. has tried out and made a team .. that represents a univeristy .. he is a student and continues to be.

What has happened is Lombardo played illegally .. as he was a professional and did not become a CIS eligible athlete after his failed TFC career.

He should get himself a Ontario Soccer Association re-instatement as an amatuer and play for a local mens rec league.

He will not and should not be allowed to play in the CIS again .. until he applies for re-instatement as a CIS player, since he played inlegally this year he should be on suspension for year one ( re-instatment pro to university and year two suspension for knowingly playing well still a professional according to CIS rules.

In addition the official signing the team list submitted to the CIS and OUAA... should be suspended.

This was not a player from somewhere else turning up and hiding his playing past.. this was a blatant and cynical breaking of the rules.

Lombardo had to sign this form:

http://www.cisport.ca/e/pol_proc/documents/AthleteAcknowledgementForm.pdf

Lombardo woujld have read this rule on the public CIS sight and Paul James would have known the rule.

40.10.6.2.3.9 Soccer

An athlete shall be considered a professional for that year in which the athlete played soccer in a semi-professional or professional league, unless the athlete played under the classification of amateur and possessed an amateur card as provided by a National Soccer Association.

Specific to Major League Soccer (MLS), players who participate exclusively under a Developmental or

There is no excuse.

No rational.

That defends this kind of "cheating".

It's all about the overlap between academic and athletic circles, which are only now entering the soccer world in Canada.

University soccer has always been about students motivated by their education first, and soccer second. York is the harbinger of change.

And the best example of all would be the Brazilian legend, Socrates. Played internationally for Brazil in the 80's. was regarded by some as on par with the Zico. Also stuied and completed his degree in Medicine and went on to practise as a doctor once his career was over.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

It's all about the overlap between academic and athletic circles, which are only now entering the soccer world in Canada.

University soccer has always been about students motivated by their education first, and soccer second. York is the harbinger of change.

I agree with you, but someone did not cross the I's in the athletic department, or was told to look the other way. As a former CIS student athlete in the 'other' football, not only were things stated quite specifically for us by the AD's in terms of CFL and playing pro in Europe regarding our university eligibility, this was reinforced by the coaches.

Ultimately, the AD has to sign the Eligibility Certificate for the program and players involved, and they have to indicate the previous team. How was this not picked up at that level before it was submitted to the CIS?

http://www.universitysport.ca/e/pol_proc/documents/EligibilityCertificate.pdf

PEACH

quote:Originally posted by Vic

James is in responsible for and in charge of both men's and women's programs. He is the York soccer "Master Coach" and "Director of Soccer." He loves to talk about bringing "professionalism" into the CIS, just never thought he actually meant bringing professionals.

Archived