Caps vs Impact - Round 1(R)

tmcmurph

The call was a bloody joke and everyone knows it. The Impact were laughing about it. How a referee could miss the call when he's less than 10 yars away, and rely on a junior assistant who's 35 yards away, is typical bush league USL officiating.

HOWEVER, Karma does have a funny way of evening things out...and I still think the Whitecaps will win in extra time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still lost by this alleged throat grabbing. Watch Nolly, he has the ball in one hand the whole time, and other then when knocking Ribeiro's arm away his elbow is down to the side. He would have had a really hard time grabbing his throat with his arm like that. I've watched the video a dozen time and I just don't see a red.

Its all done now though, so lets hope for a clean, fair match tomorrow ... oh and a vancouver Victory ;)

2-0 Caps win tomorrow. Montreal will go on to CL league play and the Caps will take out Puerto Rico for the USL-1 title!

I'll take Sebrango and Gbeke for the goal scorers as the red card really makes the Caps play for real revenge. Eliminate not injure their opponents!

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

2-0 Caps win tomorrow. Montreal will go on to CL league play and the Caps will take out Puerto Rico for the USL-1 title!

Someone's optimistic of the Islanders chances being down 2-0 haha...

None the less we should be in for a solid match tomorrow, I see the Impact coming out slow, picking it up mid-way through and eventually going into a shell from the 60th minute forward, finishing in a 1-1 draw, allowing Montreal to face Rochester in the rivalry of all rivalries in USL.

WE HATE RHINOS

I love you Vancouver pricks, i should break your mom's leg instead u little biatches. How f'n blind can u be he clearly grabbed Ribeiro by the throat, go and cheer on your Sedin's for the final time instead of whining about a sport u cant even understand u fag-gots

BLOW ME VANCOUVER

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

I love you Vancouver pricks, i should break your mom's leg instead u little biatches. How f'n blind can u be he clearly grabbed Ribeiro by the throat, go and cheer on your Sedin's for the final time instead of whining about a sport u cant even understand u fag-gots

BLOW ME VANCOUVER

You're going to break my mom's leg? :D:D:D Only in Quebec would somebody threaten violence against elderly women to show what a big tough hoolie they are. What's next, you're gonna threaten to kick my dog?

Wow this thread got cretinous in a hurry. What's a shame about controversial calls like this is it deflects people's attention away from the fact that up till the ejection, the pitch had been tilted toward the Vancouver goal the whole match. If Byers had finish it'd have been 2-0 already by that point. It was clear the Caps midfield couldn't compete with Grande, Donatelli Biello and Ribeiro. Could Vancouver have stolen a draw or slim victory without the ejection? Maybe but probably not, based one the play up to that point. The principal factor was coaching. Limniatis had them almost exclusively coming up the middle on the ground, which is completley different from their usual wide play and crossing. This was partly due to DiLorenzo being out but I think also a well-calculated change to surprise Vancouver and their tall, experience defense. I think it worked.

Regarding the incident you'd need a pretty tinted pair of Caps goggles not to see the goalie's white glove on Ribeiro's throat in the above photo. And the linesman is standing right there, not away on the touch line as some were suggesting.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Wow this thread got cretinous in a hurry. What's a shame about controversial calls like this is it deflects people's attention away from the fact that up till the ejection, the pitch had been tilted toward the Vancouver goal the whole match. If Byers had finish it'd have been 2-0 already by that point. It was clear the Caps midfield couldn't compete with Grande, Donatelli Biello and Ribeiro. Could Vancouver have stolen a draw or slim victory without the ejection? Maybe but probably not, based one the play up to that point. The principal factor was coaching. Limniatis had them almost exclusively coming up the middle on the ground, which is completley different from their usual wide play and crossing. This was partly due to DiLorenzo being out but I think also a well-calculated change to surprise Vancouver and their tall, experience defense. I think it worked.

Regarding the incident you'd need a pretty tinted pair of Caps goggles not to see the goalie's white glove on Ribeiro's throat in the above photo.

The weird thing though is that after the ejection and we scored, instead of pressing with the extra man to put the series away we sat back and Vancouver had the run of play for the rest of the match. I was even happy when the final whistle blew that we held on for the victory. With 11 men Vancouver hardly looked like they belonged on the pitch but with 10 and down a goal they started to take it to the Impact.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Seems a little inconsistent, no?

I'm a fan, not an ISO inspector.

If they players leave Ribeiro's leg alone I will be fine with it, but I hope the Southside does not. Good day to go after Limniatis and the rest of the Impact, since they have been riding on a bit of luck and favourable reffing along with some good play. I hope their good fortune has run out as of today.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The weird thing though is that after the ejection and we scored, instead of pressing with the extra man to put the series away we sat back and Vancouver had the run of play for the rest of the match. I was even happy when the final whistle blew that we held on for the victory. With 11 men Vancouver hardly looked like they belonged on the pitch but with 10 and down a goal they started to take it to the Impact.

Yes although they did sub in Jefferson instead of the trditional 1-0 lead, last-10-minutes defender, so I think the sitting back had less to do with John "I'm goin' out on a" Limniatis' tactic and more to do with fatigue. Unfortunate but hard to blame them under the circumstances....

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Mtl still don't have a good forward to finish, I hope Brown plays sunday and does better than Byers.

As much as Byers finishing sucks he has only 1 goal fewer than Brown in less than half the amount of games. Brown is pretty one dimensional in that he doesn't do much else if he isn't scoring and take the 2 goals against Olimpia out (one nice, one a terribly taken penalty though he did draw the penalty) he hasn't done much scoring this year. Brown also relies on others to feed him while Byers creates his own chances. I think Byers is in almost every other respect a superior player to Brown so he would still be my first choice to start.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

From the close-up it is a scandalous call, it is nowhere near a punch. He also happens to have one arm around him and the other in his face, a finger close enough to be touching his face.

The ref is far from being in control of the situation. At any time. If he could have carded Ribeiro from the start it could have calmed things down, but it was a close one, to me it did not look like it was deserving of a yellow. So he just let it ride and blew it.

As for throat grabbing, it is pure invention. I hope they break Ribeiro's leg on Sunday and knock Montreal out. Expect a visit from the inspirational Impact coach to the Southside after the match.

Either your high on something or you didn't pass your 6th grade. How could you not see that he grabbed his throat? I was 2rows up and I saw it, you see it in the replays, heck I work at the Airport and I had a chance to talk to a few Whitecaps players "Gbeke, Sebrango and Nash." and this is what Gbeke told me. "Our goalie normally doesn't react that way, we don't know if he actually did grab Tonio's throat because he won't admit it but he also won't deny it. He really regrets what happend last night."

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

Either your high on something or you didn't pass your 6th grade. How could you not see that he grabbed his throat? I was 2rows up and I saw it, you see it in the replays, heck I work at the Airport and I had a chance to talk to a few Whitecaps players "Gbeke, Sebrango and Nash." and this is what Gbeke told me. "Our goalie normally doesn't react that way, we don't know if he actually did grab Tonio's throat because he won't admit it but he also won't deny it. He really regrets what happend last night."

You could see what a grab it was, Ribeiro needed an oxygen mask afterwards.

If someone grabbed me like that I would just assume they were making a pass at me. Ribeiro didn't even react. So nice try.

A question for all the Impact whiners: when an old lady from NDG comes up to you on St. Catherines, touches your shoulder and asks for directions, do you all fall down screaming?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You could see what a grab it was, Ribeiro needed an oxygen mask afterwards.

If someone grabbed me like that I would just assume they were making a pass at me. Ribeiro didn't even react. So nice try.

A question for all the Impact whiners: when an old lady from NDG comes up to you on St. Catherines, touches your shoulder and asks for directions, do you all fall down screaming?

Wheres the logic in that, so basically as long as the opposing player isn't injured there should be no call? Take your goggles off and accept the fact that your keeper isn't playing today.

Since when do we allow old ladies from NDG on SS pitch? Totally irrelevant scenario there buddy. And btw, you should see some of those old ladies when they're angry with a cane in their hands. Not a scarrier sight in the world...[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

BLOW ME VANCOUVER

Gotta love the outcome of the series, huh?

Asswipe!

Archived