Caps vs Impact - Round 1(R)

tmcmurph

quote:Originally posted by Keano

They showed the replay on the big screen at the match, the goaltender took a good old fashioned closed-fist swing at Ribeiro. Couldn't tell from the angle if he connected or not, obviously not well anyhow, bt intent couldn't have been clearer. The stadium couldn't beleive it either until that replay because no one saw the incident live.

EDIT: oh about the match itself, I thought Vancouver did realy well to keep it to 1 and actully threaten occasionally. That said, if Byers could have finished at even a Metro-league level it'd have been 3-0 without a doubt. He must be Caps fans new best freind. He must have been suffering though temperature wise, never played anywhere but the caribean before.

that is completely false, ribero had his hand on nollys chest and nolly swiped his hand away, video to follow shortly, the caps got screwed big time!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

morbital what game were you at? Nolly was furious. While Ribeiro was remonstrated against by the Whitecap defenders Nolly got up and came at Ribeiro, grabbing him towards the throat. The ref got it right only with the help of the local linesman who came over to the ref to give his 2cents worth.

From that video it looks like an open hand swipe to take Ribero's hand out of his face. Bad call. I don't know if the Caps can appeal it.

Jay, next time fake like you are going to hit him and "accidentally" step on his foot with all your weight! It will look like an accident and because the ref is looking up at head level you'll be safe.

;)

That #2 on the Caps sure had a clear head and kept that from getting a lot worse. Kudos to whoever he is.

I wish I could see the slow mo on Ribeiro. Sure looks like he was into the keeper late with intent. Looks like he could have held up and didn't and purposely knee'd the keeper. Some people call that just playing the game, like walking up 20 yards on a throw in, or doing three rolls in agony milking a dive - I call it garbage, cheap and cautionable. Some people call me overboard but I like to see the red thrown when that happens. Although in the ref's defense, It's very possible from his location and number and placement of players in the box that his view was obscured when it happened.

For the red on the keeper, eh, I've seen that both called and not called many times. Depends on the ref's interpretation of the law and how they like to control the game. He definitely goes to strike Ribeiro's arm or shoulder, and does it with speed and intent to intimidate. You can argue either way 'til the cow's come home. No surprise each team's fans side with their team. Bottom line is though, whenever it happens you have only yourself to blame. You want to play the game, don't swing your arms at people and invite trouble. Sooner or later it will find you.

I was right behind the net for this, maybe 10-15 feet away. The ball was loose and Ribeiro came in hard like any striker would. If he is one second earlier he scores. Once he saw Nolly had the ball he eased up and there was minimal contact, far less than it seemed from the video which is from the other side and far away. Even stranger is Nolly is shown holding his upper thigh afterwards even though any possible contact would have been with his head. Still I think Jeff Clarke (who was number 2) was justified in challenging him as any defender wants to discourage forwards from coming in hard on the keeper. The problem was when Kindel came in and half of the Whitecaps stormed Ribeiro. I am pretty sure it was Kindel not Nolly who had his hands around Ribeiro's neck which is a clear red card. At some point Nolly takes a weak swing at Ribeiro and so does Charles. At this point someone on the Caps deserved a red though possibly it would have been more just to give it to Kindel. Afterwards there was a melee (why doesn't Morbital include this in the video?) in which both teams committed a number of bookable fouls that were so numerous that I can not give an opinion on who deserved the greater number of cards. I think the refs also couldn't tell who did what so they just concentrated on the first incident. I don't think the red card was unjustified but I do think it probably should have gone to Kindel not Nolly. I also think it was Kindel who was responsible for the whole episode. Clarke was giving Ribeiro an earful and there was no need for Kindel to step in and escalate things. I think Nolly would not have thrown the punch without Kindel's reaction. Kindel also accidentally backwards headbutted Clarke which is why Clarke goes into the goal clutching his nose.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Well in my case you are forgetting "The Grizzly Charm"!;)

Charm.. mmm .. I thought the girls said it was your fingers something about knowing how to .. oh wait this is not that kind of forum. But how are you coming along with the cute security girl who works 114 ?

Can't say I enjoy the style of the Whitecaps. Bobby L preached a more attacking style with flair when he hired the new coach but no evidence of that this year. It would be nice for once to hear from the Whitecaps coach most of the time you don't get his view.

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

Can't say I enjoy the style of the Whitecaps. Bobby L preached a more attacking style with flair when he hired the new coach but no evidence of that this year. It would be nice for once to hear from the Whitecaps coach most of the time you don't get his view.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/video.aspx

Teitur is in every post match interview

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

They are much better than last year and much more fun to watch than when they played Lillyball. It takes time and they are getting better but Sebrango is their main threat with other players providing some goals along the way.

You need more than 1 threat to play the "flair" style and they are trying to sign and develop that (Gbeke & Edwini-Bonsu). Until that starts to produce consistently teams can double cover ES and make it difficult. It takes time and I am already looking forward to next year (when the Caps defend their USL-1 championship).

I think Montreal are the better team with more threats and better depth but the Caps are still going to beat the 2-0 on Sunday! ;)

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Mtl still don't have a good forward to finish, I hope Brown plays sunday and does better than Byers.

Yes all the offense has come from midfield but for the occasional great game by Brown... none of the forwards have great first touches and finish.... also both are frustrating how they mistime their runs for the through ball

Guest Jeffery S.

From the close-up it is a scandalous call, it is nowhere near a punch. He also happens to have one arm around him and the other in his face, a finger close enough to be touching his face.

The ref is far from being in control of the situation. At any time. If he could have carded Ribeiro from the start it could have calmed things down, but it was a close one, to me it did not look like it was deserving of a yellow. So he just let it ride and blew it.

As for throat grabbing, it is pure invention. I hope they break Ribeiro's leg on Sunday and knock Montreal out. Expect a visit from the inspirational Impact coach to the Southside after the match.

Bush league officiating?

Break Ribeiro's leg?

Classless of you guys to say such things, facts are facts, and fact is Ribeiro was being held by the throat. Last time I checked that wasn't allowed, hence there was a deserving red.

Forget about that though if Vancouver is to stand a chance they're going to have to penitrate through Montreal's stellard D and of course Jordan. Irrelevant about them starting their 2nd stringer they still gota score come tomorrow.

With that said lets be on with the footy and of course....

ALLEZ MONTREAL

Archived