2008 Canadian Soccer Leage Final [R]

soccerfan1

Just finished defrosting after tonight's CSL Final. Wow, what a bitterly cold, wet night but despite the awful conditions, this was a great match. It was a fitting end to a mostly excellent 2008 CSL season and it was great to see Esther Shiner Stadium mostly full for the game. It was even better to see that most people did not leave when the heavy wind and rain rolled in at the 12 minute mark of the 1st half. The SWE supporters were resilient and very loud and kudos go out to them for supporting their team so loyally. It would be great if every CSL game featured 2 sets of supporters backing their team like that. Maybe one day.

This game featured everything you would want. Really good goals (TRA sub Nicolas Lesage's goal to make it 1-1 was highlight reel worthy), some big saves, a really controversial non-call that turned out to be inconsequential (TRA should have been called for a handball inside the 18 yrd box late in the 1st overtime period but the ref let the play continue, to my surprise and to the disapproval of the predominantly pro-SWE crowd in attendance) and a crazy round of PKs where it looked like no one wanted to win the game. Kudos go to the two keepers, who defended their nets valiantly. The TRA keeper actually took one of the PKs and was the only Attak player to actually score from the 5 attempts.

When the match ended, the SWE supporters flooded onto the field and carried GK Dan Pelc off the field on their shoulders, which was really cool to see, although PA announcer Ennio ("the voice of the CSL") must have been dismayed because he incessantly asked the crowd not to do that. I'm glad they ignored him because it made for a great scene.

Congrats to SWE. They were an excellent team this year and after 3 straight trips to the final, they deserved this one. They dominated possession for most of the match and had the better chances overall. TRA is a nice young team and I expect we'll see them fighting for the title in future years. Tonight was simply not their night.

Pre game, some awards were handed out:

MVP and leading goal scorer was awarded to Daniel Nascimento of Brampton Lions

Coach of the Year went to Rafa Carbajal of NY Astros

GK of the year went to the keeper for TR Attak (sorry, don't remember his name).

Fair Play award went to the TR Attak.

They handed out some other awards but I can't remember them (the cold has affected my short term memory, clearly). When I recall the names of the winners, I'll edit the post.

Archived