MTL - Champions League Run or USL Title?

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I was commenting on a CL run, not winning the entire tournament. If I were an Impact supporter I think I'd want the USL title over CL run. But I'd obviously want to win the CL over the USL, I just don't really see that realistically happening. The only reason I can see Impact supporters wanting a CL run over the USL title would be to gain some media attention and strengthen their MLS bid.

I'd rather advance past group stage than win the USL title, and many others agree with that.

We don't see the USL even close to the CL.

Guest Jeffery S.

Usually the only valid philosophy is to worry about the next game and not speculate on the rest. The next game is always the most important, and experience has shown that it is the only system that works.

Now if you are in a league in the mid-table dead zone in the last games you can rest players worrying about a Cup semi-final or something, but only if you are not playing for anything in one competition. Montreal is playing for something in both.

Both winning USL, or showing well, and going far in the Champions, are important for their MLS bid. Especially the latter, since any team showing well against Mexican or Honduran or existing MLS sides as is, in its USL form, has to be taken as a serious potential competitor with an MLS budget. So I say the edge has to be for the Champions, but since the next important game is today to get into a final, today's game is the most important of all.

Archived