MTL - Champions League Run or USL Title?

Here's a question for Montreal fans...just out of interest (No malice intended).

Obviously, you're in a position to win the USL title and still go deep into the Champions League. And of course, it's a given that you'd prefer both.

But...if your roster was thin and the Impact needed to devote their best effort to one or the other, which would you prefer? The USL title, or a deep Champions League run?

Same here.

I think a quarterfinal match of the Champions League is worth ATLEAST as much as a USL title in terms of importance for the club. And the international visibility we get by playing in the CL is way better than what we get in USL...

Plus the games are more interesting because other teams come from different leagues...we never know what to expect.

Champions league is obviusly more important given the fact that they could win a continental title and play in the biggest club tourney of all... the Club World Cup. I think they should take it one game at a time though. They have the 2 vancouver games next so win that series... if they lose the next CL game so what.. theyre still in good position. Then win the USL cup and rest up players because now you only play CL games.

To pick one though, just try in the CL. play literally team B against Vancouver and if they lose, a Canadian team is still in the final so im happy.

The reason I ask is because the Impact are facing the same classic quandry some of the smaller European CL teams have if they get beyond the group stage of the UEFA CL (by that I mean club size, not country). A lot of fans prefer that the club go for the domestic title, because that's how they measure success. The long CL ride is just a bonus. Some fans are willing to forego the title for a shot at glory (as long as they qualify for the CL next year, of course... :-)

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

The reason I ask is because the Impact are facing the same classic quandry some of the smaller European CL teams have if they get beyond the group stage of the UEFA CL (by that I mean club size, not country). A lot of fans prefer that the club go for the domestic title, because that's how they measure success. The long CL ride is just a bonus. Some fans are willing to forego the title for a shot at glory (as long as they qualify for the CL next year, of course... :-)

makes me have even less sympathy for the dirty Rangers last season than I already did [:P]

Would the suspensions be a blessing in disguise? 2 suspensions due to accumulated yellows (Grande and ??) and those players will be fresh for the play-off games against Vancouver. Are there players who might be suspended in the USL but will be ready for the CCL? This is the reason why MLS teams hurt. The roster sizes appear bigger in the USL (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm too lazy for the research right now) and even though the salary cap is not there (in the USL) and the players may not be the big names, the depth of the team is balanced. It doesn't matter what line-up is out there, they all perform great. Look at TFC to compare. When Cunningham was in the team played one way, when Dichio was in, another way. The tactics depended too much on the personnel on the pitch. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't see the same thing with Montreal. Bravo Impact. Keep it up. Maybe one day we will see an all Canadian CCL final!

Suspensions (in USL and CCL) have indeed allowed Montreal to rest a few key figures. The fact that they also have pretty much 2 "full-time" forwards (Brown, Byers) and 4 d-mids (Leduc, Grande, Testo, Gatti) helps to limit fatigue.

I think a quarter-final CCL game (and maybe more) *in Montreal* would do much more for the Impact's profile than a(nother) USL victory, although if we're this far, might as well play one extra game (the final).

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Suspensions (in USL and CCL) have indeed allowed Montreal to rest a few key figures. The fact that they also have pretty much 2 "full-time" forwards (Brown, Byers) and 4 d-mids (Leduc, Grande, Testo, Gatti) helps to limit fatigue.

I think a quarter-final CCL game (and maybe more) *in Montreal* would do much more for the Impact's profile than a(nother) USL victory, although if we're this far, might as well play one extra game (the final).

I think its the same as Europe. CL success will raise the profile of the club, and will bring in the cash, but a league title is what the fans really want.

quote:Originally posted by MTL_4_LIFE

Impact going deep in the CCL. So they can show the MLS they are ready and they can play with big boys.

While I like your gumption, and I believe that the Impact right now would compete fairly well in MLS(as would the Whitecaps), I believe that if they get into MLS, it will not be a simple promotion whereby they keep all their players.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I think its the same as Europe. CL success will raise the profile of the club, and will bring in the cash, but a league title is what the fans really want.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I posted a survey on Impactsoccer.com two weeks ago

50% said they would prefer the CCL

16% said they would prefer the USL playoff

34% said they would prefer both

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

I must point out we are already domestic champions though, the Voyageurs Cup, champions of Canada! To me I would rate the tournaments in importance thus:

1) Champions League

2) Voyageurs Cup

3) USL Championship

It would be great to be the first Canadian team to pull the treble!

quote:Originally posted by Trident

I was commenting on a CL run, not winning the entire tournament. If I were an Impact supporter I think I'd want the USL title over CL run. But I'd obviously want to win the CL over the USL, I just don't really see that realistically happening. The only reason I can see Impact supporters wanting a CL run over the USL title would be to gain some media attention and strengthen their MLS bid.

Archived