John Limniatis next coach of canada?

halfnhalf89

quote:Originally posted by halfnhalf89

If he wins a usl title he surpasses dale mitchell's club achievements

You're not the only one that thinks so.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Please lord not another Canadian USL level manager. We've had Duz, and Mitch recently!

Do you really think it matters who we have managing our team for the next 2-3 years? (I'm assuming Mitchell stays on long enough to ensure there is no miracle finish and we are out of WCQ). I don't think any foreign coach will want to stay on for 6 years for a single run at the World Cup unless he is getting paid far more than we can ever afford.

That said, I'd rather see Limniatis continue to be successful with Montreal than to preside over 6 or 7 friendlies a year until 2012.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I don't think any foreign coach will want to stay on for 6 years for a single run at the World Cup unless he is getting paid far more than we can ever afford.

Why do you say this? Do you mean coaches like Pekerman? I hope so, because there are literally thousands of other managers who have a better club coaching pedigree than Limniatis. Of these thousands, surely more than a few would be interested in a job that pays approximately $250k per year, with very few demands, and huge job security. Think about it. Finding a qualified foreign candidate is not the problem, the problem is the CSA won't look where it needs to because they are extremely short sighted and extremely under-qualified to recruit a capable manager.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Why do you say this? Do you mean coaches like Pekerman? I hope so, because there are literally thousands of other managers who have a better club coaching pedigree than Limniatis. Of these thousands, surely more than a few would be interested in a job that pays approximately $250k per year, with very few demands, and huge job security. Think about it. Finding a qualified foreign candidate is not the problem, the problem is the CSA won't look where it needs to because they are extremely short sighted and extremely under-qualified to recruit a capable manager.

So do you think a career manager in 2nd division Portugal is going to want to coach in Canada for 6 years because he might get a modest raise? Because that's what it sounds like.

My own view is that once Mitchell is fired, Stephen Hart should do double duty until at least 2010. He can't be that busy as TD.

Limniatis has had a great but very short run with the Impact. As much as I support him as the Impact's coach it is far too soon to think of him as MNT coach. We had the same story last WCQ with a coach who had a bit of North American club success being hailed as our new saviour in Yallop and look how that turned out. We need an experienced coach who has had success at an international level in the past. I do not see any Canadian coaches who currently fit that description. Limniatis may now be the best Canadian candidate if we can not afford a foreign coach and may some day be coach of the MNT but he is not the person we should be hiring at this time. At the very least let him get far more experience at the club level and let him build up his resume.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

As a coach? maybe. But certainly not as a player.

A good player does not necessarily mean a competent coach and vice versa, different skillset.

Criticism of Dale Mitchell as a coach does not in any way diminish his achievements as a player.

While Limniatis may be a step up from Dale Mitchell in the short term, apart from his half season with the Montreal Impact he really doesn't have a materially different resume from Dale Mitchell. While I advocate immediate replacement of Dale Mitchell I believe Steven Hart should take over as interim coach because of his proven success with the current crop of MNT players and we should seek to appoint an experienced and much better qualified (than either Mitchell or Limniatis) international coach. But since the CSA is essentially bankrupt - witness their reported plan to raise yet again the CSA tax on Canadian youth players in an effort to get out of the hole they have dug themselves through mismanagement and poor fiscal planning - I can't see it happening, so frankly guys, we're screwed.

So do you think a career manager in 2nd division Portugal is going to want to coach in Canada for 6 years because he might get a modest raise? Because that's what it sounds like.

My own view is that once Mitchell is fired, Stephen Hart should do double duty until at least 2010. He can't be that busy as TD.

Is that a question? If so, then I'd say yes, absolutely. And I would definitely consider interviewing some of the former Portuguese internationals that manager in the second division long before I'd talk to JL. There's Paulo Alves at Gil Vicente, Rui Bento at Boavista, Alvaro Magalhaes who just departed to manage in Romania, and Diamantino Miranda. I would wager that all make less than Mitchell and we can speculate their respective levels of interest but I think it's fair to say it would be high in every case. Why wouldn't it be? And that's just one European division mentioned at random. Don't forget, the Special One was at a level not much higher. Martin O'Neill managed Wycombe out of the non-league for 5 years. And he was a highly regarded footballer. We must stop mistaking our backward logic of the ostrich for "realism." The realistic approach is to get off your arse and interview enough people to find a suitable candidate.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Limniatis has had a great but very short run with the Impact. As much as I support him as the Impact's coach it is far too soon to think of him as MNT coach. We had the same story last WCQ with a coach who had a bit of North American club success being hailed as our new saviour in Yallop and look how that turned out. We need an experienced coach who has had success at an international level in the past. I do not see any Canadian coaches who currently fit that description. Limniatis may now be the best Canadian candidate if we can not afford a foreign coach and may some day be coach of the MNT but he is not the person we should be hiring at this time. At the very least let him get far more experience at the club level and let him build up his resume.

Couldn't agree more.

I would like to see what Limniatis does at club level in the following season (and the next). Hopefully, his will be an upward track where he moves on to a higher league (MLS?) and by the time we get to the next WCQ we'll how his CV looks. Right now, he's on an up ... but in the future there will inevitably be downs: let's see how he handles the adversity.

Finding a qualified foreign candidate is not the problem, the problem is the CSA won't look where it needs to because they are extremely short sighted and extremely under-qualified to recruit a capable manager.

Absolutely correct!!!

applause!!

applause!!

I read from another topic that coaches in Canada are formed by amateurs, so we mustn't have canadians coaches in the MNT, Dale's job in WCQ was just patetic. I'd like to see a brazilian or an argentinian, that would help MNT to get better, we need to play another and more agessive style.

With the state of development in this country he sure as hell should be the busiest guy in the CSA....

Someone with WC experience...

Someone with a history of international experience...

Someone with a history of leading world class professionals...

Someone with a history of preparing teams capable of competing and performing to their potential...

Someone with a desire to overachieve...

Someone with ambition and a point to prove!!!

quote:Originally posted by squid2

Someone with WC experience...

Someone with a history of international experience...

Someone with a history of leading world class professionals...

Someone with a history of preparing teams capable of competing and performing to their potential...

Someone with a desire to overachieve...

Someone with ambition and a point to prove!!!

And someone who can stand up to Warner....

KEANO

I wish he wasn't so freakin happy at the Stadium of Light

Not that we'd ever afford him either

...nevermind

The unfortunate fact is that the CSA is not going to pay what it takes to get a quality foreign manager.

Thus, we are likely going to continue to have Canadian managers. If we are going to have a Canadian manager, I'd rather have the best Canadian manager possible. At this point, I think it's clear that Limniatis and Stephen Hart are both better than Mitchell. I'd be happy with either.

I've watched Montreal throughout the Voyageurs Cup and the CCL and, unlike Dale Mitchell, Limniatis actually modifies his tactics to fit different situations. That, to me, makes him vastly superior to Mitchell. I'd take Limniatis in a heartbeat.

Archived