CSL Select/AllStar Team to Singapore

Eric

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

An article extracted from Kallangroar about Murphy and Anthony from their recent club press conference.

Canadians raring to go at Sengkang

Basil Yeo

One is a young and upcoming talent. Another managed six goals in just nineteen appearances in 2008.

20-year-old Anthony Christopher Bahadur and Murphy Wiredu, who is four years older, will be expected to perform after the hype surrounding their arrival. They, along with Rickey Marvin Harris at Geylang United, are the only three Canadian players who managed to sign professional contracts after a joint venture between the Football Association of Singapore and the Canadian Soccer League, who sent ten players here on trial.

Formerly from the North York Astros, the 1.9m tall Bahadur is of Trinidadian descent, and has scored four times so far during pre-season.

"My dream has always been to play football overseas," said Bahadur. "Everyone would like to play for a better team, but I want to start lower in my first year here," he said. "If I start lower, I can surprise people if I play well," said the 20-year-old with a smile.

The more experienced Wiredu started out his professional career with Ottawa Shooters in the Premier Development League of USA/Canada. He became popular when he joined the Italia Shooters, whom he helped to the top of the International Division, which included a stellar performance in a 6-1 win over defending champions Toronto Croatia, where he scored a hat-trick. Wiredu has found the net twice for Sengkang so far.

"It has been easy to adapt here in Singapore," said Wiredu, who revealed that he is in the national pool for the Canadian senior team, but has yet to be called up. "They are all wonderful guys on and off the field, and communication is easy."

"We are doing well as a team and I really like the atmosphere we have here," said the 24-year-old, who was born in Ghana, but moved to Canada when he was a child.

Besides the two North Americans, Sengkang will also be able to call upon the services of attacking midfielder Abdoulaye Djibril Diallo, who is certainly no stranger to the S.League.

Diallo, who hails from Guinea, represented Gombak United from 2000 - 2003, before moving to Indonesia where he notably was the Best Foreign Player in his five year stint in the Liga Indonesia.

The Dolphins will hope that their three foreign imports will be able to bang in the goals to compensate for a poor past year, where they only managed to score 13 times. Coupled with the exciting local talent they have acquired, things are certainly looking up for Sengkang Punggol at the moment.

Here's one on Rickey Marvin Harris.

Rickey ready for S.League

Basil Yeo

The attention was on Geylang United's latest signing. Rickey Marvin Harris, hails from Toronto, Canada, and the Eagles will be counting on him to bang in the goals for the upcoming season.

Rickey was scouted through the same joint venture between the Football Association of Singapore and the Canadian Soccer League, which saw his compatriots Murphy Wiredu and Anthony Bahadur being picked up by Sengkang Punggol. Rickey himself, was the third player to be offered a professional contract, but by Geylang.

It was pure luck for Rickey, who was not even in the initial selection to make the trip here, but managed to after replacing another injured player.

"I like this team a lot and the captain does his job keeping me focused," said Rickey. "When it comes to the team, I just want to win. Failure is not an option with me."

The 24-year-old previously played for GS United of the Ontario Soccer League, where he picked up the league's Rookie of the Year, scoring 10 times in 17 games. Strong in the all aspects of forward play, he has already made a positive impact on his new club.

"We like his style of play and appreciate his speed and technique," said team manager Lim Tong Hai, aware of his new signing's potential.

"I didn't know much about the country, but I've heard good things about Singapore football," said the six foot tall striker.

"The climate is kind of tearing me up though," joked Rickey, who has mustered three caps with the Grenada national team, but is a Canadian citizen. "Luckily, the games here are played at night."

"I am looking to do well here," he concluded. "I want to score as much as I can so that my team can win, and as a striker, I cannot give anything less than ten goals."

quote:Originally posted by wretchedguy

Match report is up for Sengkang Punggol's friendly against Albirex Niigata (Singapore). Both Anthony and Murphy started.

http://fishoutofwaterspfc.wordpress.com/2009/02/07/pre-season-friendly-report-4/

"This just goes to show how professional and efficient the Japanese run their operation."

Like most things they decide to do when they go, they go big!

quote:Originally posted by updownslope

Wiredu selected in the S-League Foreigners team in season opener All-Stars game :)

http://kallangroar.com/s-league-singapore-cup/2090-charity-shield-2009-a-2.html#post66512

for those that don't feel like registering to the kallangroar message board, here is the roster of players taking part in the Charity Shield match to kick of the S-League season:

From Balestier website

::S.League curtain-raiser - S.League Charity Shield 2009::

The S.League Charity Shield 2009 will take place on Thursday, 12 February 2009. The mach will serve as an exciting prelude to the upcoming new season, where fans will witness a face-off between two S.League selection sides - an all-Singaporean lineup against an outfit comprising the S.League's foreign stars.

Official title : S.LEAGUE Charity Shield 2009 - Locals vs Foreigners

Match Date : Thursday 12 February 2009

Kick off Time : 7.45pm

Match Venue : Tampines Stadium

Basis of Play : Two halves of 45 minutes. If scores are level at full-time, the match shall be decided immediately by a penalty shootout.

Prize Money: $5,000 (Winners), $2,500 (Runners-up).

Match tickets will be available 5pm till half-time at the door

Adult (Gallery) $5.00

Student / Senior Citizen (Gallery) $1.00

*Only applicable for secondary school, ITE & Junior College students with proof of valid concession passes; Senior Citizens must be 60 years and above as of 2009 with proof of identification documents)

^Free entry for primary school students and below (Students must display valid concession passes for entry to stadium)

S.LEAGUE CHARITY SHIELD 2009

*LOCALS*

S/No . Club . Name . DOB . Age . Citizenship . Position

1 . Tampines Rovers . Hassan Sunny . 2-Apr-84 . 25 . Singaporean . GK

2 . Young Lions . Hyrulnizam Juma'at . 12-Nov-86 . 23 . Singaporean . GK

3 . Balestier Khalsa . Jufri Taha . 4-Mar-85 . 24 . Singaporean . DF

4 . Geylang United . Baihakki Khaizan . 31-Jan-84 . 25 . Singaporean . DF

5 . Home United . Ismail Yunos . 24-Oct-86 . 23 . Singaporean . DF

6 . Home United . Juma'at Jantan . 23-Feb-84 . 25 . Singaporean . DF

7 . Sengkang Punggol . Noh Rahman . 2-Aug-80 . 29 . Singaporean . DF

8 . Singapore Armed Forces FC . Daniel Bennett . 7-Jan-78 . 31 . Singaporean . DF

9 . Woodlands Wellington . Precious Emuejeraye . 21-Mar-83 . 26 . Singaporean . DF

10 . Home United . Shahril Ishak . 23-Jan-84 . 25 . Singaporean . MF

11 . Singapore Armed Forces FC . Mustaqim Manzur . 28-Jan-82 . 27 . Singaporean . MF

12 . Tampines Rovers . Fahrudin Mustafic . 17-Apr-81 . 28 . Singaporean . MF

13 . Tampines Rovers . Ridhuan Muhamad . 6-May-84 . 25 . Singaporean . MF

14 . Tampines Rovers . Khairul Amri . 14-Mar-85 . 24 . Singaporean . FW

15 . Gombak United . Agu Casmir . 22-Mar-84 . 25 . Singaporean . FW

16 . Singapore Armed Forces FC . Aleksandar Duric . 12-Aug-70 . 39 . Singaporean . FW

17 . Tampines Rovers . Noh Alam Shah . 3-Sep-80 . 29 . Singaporean . FW

18 . Tampines Rovers . Qiu Li . 6-Jun-81 . 28 . Singaporean . FW

TEAM OFFICIALS

19 . Young Lions . Terry Pathmanathan Head Coach

20 . Young Lions . Aleksandar Bozenko Assistant Coach

21 . Young Lions . Sharon Tan Team Manager

22 . Young Lions . Yeo Hwee Koon Physio

23 . Young Lions . Omar Mohd Kitman

* FOREIGNERS *

S/No . Club . Name . DOB . Age . Citizenship . Position

1 . Albirex Niigata S. . Junichi Watanabe . 18-Apr-88 . 21 . Japanese . GK

2 . Albirex Niigata S. . Yo****o Matsu****a . 29-Oct-89 . 20 . Japanese . GK

3 . Albirex Niigata S. . Keisuke Ogawa . 5-Sep-86 . 23 . Japanese . DF

4 . Geylang United . Haruki Seto . 14-Mar-78 . 31 . Japanese . DF

5 . Home United . Valery Hiek . 31-Jan-81 . 28 . Cameroonian . DF

6 . Singapore Armed Forces FC . Kenji Arai . 19-May-78 . 31 . Japanese . DF

7 . Woodlands Wellington . Luis Eduardo Hicks . 27-Nov-77 . 32 . Chilean . DF

8 . Young Lions . Obadin Aikhena . 9-May-86 . 23 . Nigerian . DF

9 . Geylang United . Rastislav Belicak . 9-Nov-77 . 32 . Slovakian . MF

10 . Gombak United . Theerawesin Seehawong . 6-Apr-80 . 29 . Thai . MF

11 . Singapore Armed Forces FC . Therdsak Chaiman . 29-Sep-73 . 36 . Thai . MF

12 . Sengkang Punggol . Abdoulaye Diallo . 27-Mar-83 . 26 . Guinean . MF

13 . Super Reds . Jeon Byung Euk . 18-Aug-87 . 22 . Korean . MF

14 . Tampines Rovers . Sutee Suksomkit . 5-Jun-78 . 31 . Thai . MF

15 . Home United . Kengne Ludovick . 21-Jun-83 . 26 . Cameroonian . FW

16 . Singapore Armed Forces FC . Park Tae Won . 12-Apr-77 . 32 . Korean . FW

17 . Sengkang Punggol . Murphy Wiredu . 15-Jan-85 . 24 . Canadian . FW

18 . Super Reds . Yun Bo Young . 29-Apr-78 . 31 . Korean . FW

TEAM OFFICIALS

19 . Sengkang Punggol . Jorg Steinebrunner . Head Coach

20 . Sengkang Punggol . Francis Thomas . Goalkeeper Coach

21 . Sengkang Punggol . Aide Iskandar . Team Manager

22 . Sengkang Punggol . Jagadeesan Kunasegaran . Sports Trainer

23 . Sengkang Punggol . Richard Lim . Kitman

quote:Originally posted by Eric

^ That was not done by the japanese! the report was done by the Sengkang Punggol's fans website, which is a Singapore club.

Yes I got that. The Japanese team brought at least 8 people with them and were very organized. That was what the report said that impressed both them and myself

"head coach Naruo Naoki, club manager Bogdan Brasoveanu, four trainers, one photographer and one videographer."

Sounds like a serious team to me.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Yes I got that. The Japanese team brought at least 8 people with them and were very organized. That was what the report said that impressed both them and myself

"head coach Naruo Naoki, club manager Bogdan Brasoveanu, four trainers, one photographer and one videographer."

Sounds like a serious team to me.

Albirex is a very serious team.

That was Issey Nakajima Farran's team when he played in S-League for 2 seasons

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Interesting article I discovered from a Singapore website regarding similarities between S-League and MLS/USL (all 3 leagues allow foreign teams). It looks like S-League is adding another Foreign club to its setup.

http://redsports.sg/2009/02/12/dpmm-sleague-football/

Yeap a team from a small sultanate, Brunei's DPMM FC will be joining the 2009 season. DPMM FC is no stranger in playing overseas league. They were a feature in Malaysia's league system 2005-08.

DPMM FC is backed by the Brunei Crown Prince and we're looking at alot of ka-chings being invested in this team :) although Brunei national team is ranked 180++ in the world :(

Anyway, the Foreigners team won the All-Star game, 2-0. Nothing much about Wiredu, rather his team-mate Diallo did stole the show.

http://sleague.com/Web/Main.aspx?ID=,68e68380-9e0b-44b2-8a32-d06df7470ca6&AID=e01cd448-cdf8-4aed-af86-195ee938512e&NLT=300

Archived