CSL Select/AllStar Team to Singapore

Eric

quote:Originally posted by Eric

My comment was not about the CSA being involved with pro soccer, it's about them organizing a league officially and then let the people who knows how to run a pro system take care of business. The CSA's job would just be to start the project.

I don't agree with the notion that having more clubs involved with US soccer necessarily will help us in the long run, that would only be a temporary cure and what we need is not the americans to rescue us but us to come up with our own pro system.

If you are waiting for the CSA to start anything you will wait forever. Glacial is the best description of them.

The USL and MLS are North American leagues so why not? We can not only compete we can win with teams half full of Canadians like Van and Mtrl.

What really makes soccer happen is the development that happens alongside the pro clubs like the Caps residency program and hopefully the TFC academy. That is where the future is. So with more pro clubs you have more opportunities.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

What really makes soccer happen is the development that happens alongside the pro clubs like the Caps residency program and hopefully the TFC academy. That is where the future is. So with more pro clubs you have more opportunities.

If you are really hoping for these two clubs to develop players for the good of soccer in this country, than you are more naive than me!

They're only going to do what is good for them and they will never care about what is good for the future of soccer in Canada, simply because they are in it for the money NOT for the sport. Get rid of the idea that US soccer will ever do anything to help soccer progress in Canada, it will never happen and when they start feeling threaten because we are making progress.... that'll be the day you'll see new rules in their leagues constitutions not allowing foreigner countries to take part in their national competitions.

We are Canada and we have to have our own.

If you are really hoping for these two clubs to develop players for the good of soccer in this country, than you are more naive than me!

They're only going to do what is good for them and they will never care about what is good for the future of soccer in Canada, simply because they are in it for the money NOT for the sport. Get rid of the idea that US soccer will ever do anything to help soccer progress in Canada, it will never happen and when they start feeling threaten because we are making progress.... that'll be the day you'll see new rules in their leagues constitutions not allowing foreigner countries to take part in their national competitions.

We are Canada and we have to have our own.

With all due respect we shall just have to disagree on this one. The Caps residency program has a whole slew of Canadian talent coming on line. They are not doing it for the good of the game, they are doing it for the good of their club. They have lots of players and more want to go there from other places. They will not develop Canadians exclusively but they will develop an entire generation of talent that would not have had a chance otherwise.

We are Canadians and we can compete with anyone!

We are not relying on US soccer to develop our players. We are doing it. If it comes to them changing the rules then we may need to setup a league. By that time we will be far enough along to pull it off. Trying to do it now will only end in failure, again!

Hi guys! I'm from singapore. do check out the official S-League website http://www.sleague.com or the Singapore football (that's soccer :D) forum http://www.kallangroar.com for updates on the S-League.

We are looking forward to another exciting season in the league with the addition of Wiredu, Harriss and Anthony. Would definitely add light to our football scene.

Also, check out Sengkang Punggol fan's blog http://fishoutofwaterspfc.wordpress.com/

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Another friendly, another victory for Sengkang Punggol

Not sure who the opponent was but I do know they are a team from the S-League.

Final Score was 4-1. All 4 Sengkang Punggol goals scored by the Canadians (3 goals for Wiredu, 1 goal for Bahadur).

final score was 5-1, against a lower league amateur team, Eunos Crescent. Report here

http://fishoutofwaterspfc.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/pre-season-friendly-report-2/

Pre-season for SPFC so far

29 Dec 08: won Johor (Malaysia) 2-1

13 Jan 09: won Police 3-0, a lower league amateur team

17 Jan 09: lost SAF FC, Singapore Armed Forces FC is the current S-League champions and they will be featured in this year's AFC Asian Champions League

22 Jan 09: won Eunos Crescent 5-1

24 Jan 09: vs Home United, Home was last season's 2nd runners up in S-League, with a number of Singapore national team players.

quote:Originally posted by updownslope

Hi guys! I'm from singapore. do check out the official S-League website http://www.sleague.com or the Singapore football (that's soccer :D) forum http://www.kallangroar.com for updates on the S-League.

We are looking forward to another exciting season in the league with the addition of Wiredu, Harriss and Anthony. Would definitely add light to our football scene.

Also, check out Sengkang Punggol fan's blog http://fishoutofwaterspfc.wordpress.com/

final score was 5-1, against a lower league amateur team, Eunos Crescent. Report here

http://fishoutofwaterspfc.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/pre-season-friendly-report-2/

Pre-season for SPFC so far

29 Dec 08: won Johor (Malaysia) 2-1

13 Jan 09: won Police 3-0, a lower league amateur team

17 Jan 09: lost SAF FC, Singapore Armed Forces FC is the current S-League champions and they will be featured in this year's AFC Asian Champions League

22 Jan 09: won Eunos Crescent 5-1

24 Jan 09: vs Home United, Home was last season's 2nd runners up in S-League, with a number of Singapore national team players.

Thanks for your contribution and the clarification on the opponent. The updates I get are direct from the players themselves but since they are not entirely familiar with their opposition, sometimes the info is incorrect but its all I have.

I know I'd personally like to know the perspective of the supporters in Singapore and what their impressions are of the 3 young Canadians featuring in the league. Hopefully Murphy and Anthony can help Sengkang Punggol climb from their normal place near the bottom of the S-League table

Great to see players from all over the world plying their trade on our shores. As long as they are good enough, doesn't matter whether they are from Canada or Cambodia.

Sengkang have been one of the weak teams in the league and they are looking to rebuild the squad this season, with a handful of good and experienced signings.

They have been operating on a tight budget, with very little sponsoships, past seasons so this season signings have been quite a surprise.

It is still unknown how they increased their wage budget, but it is definitely good news for the fans, Sengkang and neutrals alike. :)

Just concluded game.

Sengkang beat last season's S-League 2nd runners-up Home United 2-1 @ Hougang Stadium (Sengkang's home ground). More here http://www.bolasepako.com/2009/01/friendly-sengkang-2-1-home-united.html

Wiredu and Baha are doing well for pre-season. Hopefully, they can bring their form over to the season.

Abit of background about S-League. It went full professional in 1996 with 10 teams. Some teams joined and some folded along the way.

The league is also known in this part of the part of the world for having international club teams like China clubs, an All-African club (folded), a Korean club and a Japanese club (J-League Albirex Niigata had their satellite team here since 2004).

Since S-League was introduced, Singapore was crowned South East Asia Champions in 98, and subsequently in 2004 and 2006, equalled only by regional kingpins Thailand. S-League was also recently ranked 10th in Asia by AFC Members Association Assessment.

Not big in attendance receipt or tv income, S-League clubs heavily depend on commercial and private sponsorships. Leagues in Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia pay their players and especially foreign players better. Despite this, S-League is arguably the best managed league in South-East Asia in terms of league administration and anti-corruption initiatives.

more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-league

Not sure how much the Canadian players are being paid but I reckon around the region of S$3000-S$4000 per month (C$2500-C$3300), or S$4500 (C$3700) at most. Will that be around the same amount that they get back in Canada? Top foreign players here can command S$5000-S$7000.

"Not sure how much the Canadian players are being paid but I reckon around the region of S$3000-S$4000 per month (C$2500-C$3300), or S$4500 (C$3700) at most. Will that be around the same amount that they get back in Canada? Top foreign players here can command S$5000-S$7000."

Dev at TFC (MLS) is about $20,000 with USL/MLS making anywhere from there to $300,000. Not many at the top end (only a handful).

S-League pays way better than the CSL where these guys came from plus they get to experience a fulltime professional setup instead of their usual part time one.

^ How can you be so sure these players were part timers? What do you really know about them? I think you are giving updownslope the wrong info based on your dislike for the CSL and that's not fair to the players and to updownslope.

^ How can you be so sure these players were part timers? What do you really know about them? I think you are giving updownslope the wrong info based on your dislike for the CSL and that's not fair to the players and to updownslope.

Take chip off please. I have nothing against the CSL. They are doing something which is better than most other parts of the country. They have a stable league and could possibly grow over time. I think that would be great.

If any of the CSL players are full time professional I appologize to them. I did not mean for my comments to be denigrating to anyone. I was comparing a situation for the players to go from CSL level to S-League. It is definately a step up.

The fact that they can go there and get a job playing soccer is a tribute to their dedication and work ethic. I also think that the S-League is a great step up for them both finacially and soccer wise on several levels.

No chip at all, I just don't think is fair for the players and everyone involve with the CSL, that people from outside the province who have not idea on how clubs operate here, feel free to inform people from other countries how the CSL operates, because really how many live CSL games have you seen lately?

^ Given that the CSL and teams don't release (at least I haven't found any) salary information it was a guess on my part but given the salary range (C$2500-C$3300) per month which is higher than the TFC dev spots get I thought it was a safe assumption that the CSL would be lower than that.

If you have any salary information that shows otherwise I stand corrected. From what I've read here in the forum the CSL teams vary wildly in practice time and renumeration. I've watched two of the TFC academy games in the CSL (online, posted by a forum member). I don't claim to be an expert on the CSL, just my opinion.

The CSL is in a good position because they have enough population in a small area to keep travel costs down and have a competitive league. As they try to expand that will change and hopefully they will manage that transition.

I would be very interested to hear from the players about the amount of practice time and other comparisons betwee the CSL and the S-League.

OK let's turn this around the other way. Which CSL teams based in the GTA to your knowledge currently have players on full-time contracts? Are the SWE still doing that now that Dragoslav Sekularac is back in Belgrade?

^ Yes they are and so is TO Croatia, Portugal FC in the GTA and Trois Rivieres outside the GTA and as the league becomes more competitive for sure more clubs will do the same.

Trois Rivieres I can understand as they are basically the Impact reserves but I don't believe you on the other three unless somebody like Tom Michalopoulos is involved. I don't see any team as dominant during the regular season as the Olympians tended to be when he was around or the Wizards were when Omur Sezerman was pumping in lots of money or the White Eagles were when they had all the Serbian import players under Sekularac. How do you know what is going on in that regard? Are you directly involved with the CSL in some capacity?

I am an unconditional fan of the CSL, I like the teams, coaches and players, I personally talk to many of them during and off season. It seams to me that you are more involved with the CSL than me, for once you are definitely more involved in discrediting the CSL than me praising it. Where you involved with any of those clubs your mentioning? did the CSL got rid of you or didn't want your club in it? whatever it is, it shows.

I don't think you can BringBackTheBlizzard any more! [^]

So in other words no you are not directly involved in the CSL. You are an avid fan who appears to have a very strong sense of nationalism where Canada having a pro league of its own is concerned. Just so you know the BringBackTheBlizzard username dates back to March 2005 on Bigsoccer when I started posting about MLS expansion to Toronto long before the Toronto FC name was announced and before the stadium deal was even sorted out. The reasons for the name in that context should be obvious. Beyond that I think I have outlined in detail what I see as being the problems with the CSL in another thread. ISTR that you actually agreed with some of it. :) There is no need to rehash that all again here, however.

Archived