CSL Select/AllStar Team to Singapore

Eric

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ yes, he did and he scored a bunch of goals for that club during his 2 years in Singapore.

thanks for reminding us.

here's the wiki quote:

Issey played two seasons for the Albirex Niigata satellite club Albirex Niigata FC (Singapore) in 2004 and 2005 and scored 12 and 14 goals respectively. He was elected young player of the year in Singapore in 2005, and played one game for the U-21 national team of Singapore. Here Issey met Kim Poulsen who was leading the Young Lions. After unsuccessfully trying to gain a contract with English clubs Millwall F.C. and Portsmouth F.C., Kim Poulsen convinced Issey to continue his career in Vejle Boldklub, which Poulsen was managing at the time. On February 16, 2006, he signed a contract with the club running until December 31, 2007

^ yes, he did and he scored a bunch of goals for that club during his 2 years in Singapore.

thanks for reminding us.

here's the wiki quote:

Issey played two seasons for the Albirex Niigata satellite club Albirex Niigata FC (Singapore) in 2004 and 2005 and scored 12 and 14 goals respectively. He was elected young player of the year in Singapore in 2005, and played one game for the U-21 national team of Singapore. Here Issey met Kim Poulsen who was leading the Young Lions. After unsuccessfully trying to gain a contract with English clubs Millwall F.C. and Portsmouth F.C., Kim Poulsen convinced Issey to continue his career in Vejle Boldklub, which Poulsen was managing at the time. On February 16, 2006, he signed a contract with the club running until December 31, 2007

^ as of this morning there is still no confirmation of impending contract offers for any other member of the CSL selects who went to Singapore.

Hopefully something good happens soon.

Murphy and Baha leave for Singapore to get ready for the new season next week. I wish them the best of luck and I hope they are excellent ambassadors for the local elite soccer scene. It would be great to see the S-League become a legitimate option for a few more Canadians each year (maybe it become like Denmark for Canadians...we have 6 Canadians playing top division soccer in Denmark right now...6 in Singapore each year would be fantastic).

quote:Originally posted by pfc

Wow, very surprised, but good on them!! Have a feeling Rafael has tapped into a goldmine here. When CSL players see who was able to secure contracts they will practically be begging him to be part of future trips.

Update on Gagan Natt mentioned earlier in tread, he is off to Castanhal Esporte Clube in Para state Brazil for a six week trial. As he is coming off injury he has been given until early January to impress. He has been given the trial based on a word put in by Helinho (previous Lynx/Stallions/Supra/PFC player now at Millionairos of Colombia).

Any news on how Gagan is doing in Para.. in the heat and humidity ?

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Any news on how Gagan is doing in Para.. in the heat and humidity ?

He is doing well the heat (37C during the day) seems to be a mayor factor and the biggest hurdle, however so far positive feedback is coming through. There is a new coach down there who played for Porto in Portugal and Botafogo whos name i cannot remember, he has been taking interest in Gagan and providing positive feedback. The training regiment consist of 9am-12pm weights and endurance training, 4pm-6pm training with ball so one thing is for sure he will come back fitter then ever whether its in January or May.

On the Canadians Abroad list, someone found a a news story that claims another Canadian has signed in the S-League.

I'm trying to get details from Rafa (he's back in Singapore this week). When I hear something, I'll let you know.

Another Canadian has indeed signed in the S-League.

Rickey Harris, formerly of GS United (OSL), has signed a contract with Geylang United

Out of the 9 players who travelled to Singapore, 3 have signed contracts. very impressive.

Good Luck to Rickey, Baha and Murphy as they carry the Canadian flag to the S-League. Hopefully they pave the way for more players like them to fulfill their professional soccer ambitions by getting a start in the S-League. the S-League was a good jumping off point for a guy like Issey Nakajima Farran and who knows where these young men's careers will take them.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Another Canadian has indeed signed in the S-League.

Rickey Harris, formerly of GS United (OSL), has signed a contract with Geylang United

Out of the 9 players who travelled to Singapore, 3 have signed contracts. very impressive.

Good Luck to Rickey, Baha and Murphy as they carry the Canadian flag to the S-League. Hopefully they pave the way for more players like them to fulfill their professional soccer ambitions by getting a start in the S-League. the S-League was a good jumping off point for a guy like Issey Nakajima Farran and who knows where these young men's careers will take them.

I am extremely pleased for Rickey. Sometimes circumstances works in ones favour. Rafael had asked me if I knew of any players of caliber that would be interested in joining the trip. So I spoke to Uncle Dave at GS United and Rickey eventually joined the group. People on here was saying the interest in him was non-existent, however he had the last laugh. Good luck to him and the others, I also believe there will be more players joining them in the next season or two based on the caliber of players in the GTA.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Eric

Is Rickey in Singapore already? how are the other two players doing over there? does anybody have any updates?

Rickey Harris has just arrived in Singapore.

The other day, I posted an update about Bahadur and Wiredu on the Canadians Abroad list....see below:

Murphy Wiredu and Anthony Bahadur played their first pre-season friendly for their new club, Sengkang Punggol.

The opponent was Johor FC from the neighboring Mayalsian Super League (which starts its season this coming weekend, whereas the S-League doesn't start until mid-February).

Sengkang Punggol won 2-1. Bahadur featured as the lone striker up front and scored one of Sengkang Punggol's goals. Wiredu set up both goals from his attacking mid role.

Good start for both of these young men. Still 6 more weeks before they play their first meaningful match.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in updates on the Canucks in Singapore, I got this email yesterday from Murphy Wiredu:

We just played a friendly against a squad called Old Police Academy...we won 4-0...i set up the 1st goal and Anthony (Bahadur) scored the 2nd. I am playing attacking mid and Anthony is the lone striker. We have won all 3 friendlies so far in pre-season.

We haven't even started training as a team yet with the ball. For a month we have trained on the track and did small sided games. The team is looking good. Sengkang Punggol haven't had much success in their past history but we are looking for top 5 @ the end of season. They have always placed in the bottom 3.

Actually just got an email from Anthony Bahadur.

It looks like they played another friendly a few hours ago.

Sengkang Punggol 3 - Unnamed Opponent 0

Anthony scored another goal and Murphy earned another assist.

The team will be heading over the border to Malaysia at the end of the month to play in a few more pre-season friendlies before kicking off the S-League season in earnest in mid-February

3 on full time pro contracts. That is so sweet! They will not only get paid a good wage to play but they will improve a great deal because they will be full time pros for the next 7 months! Glad to see the trip is paying off and lets hope there are more next year.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

3 on full time pro contracts. That is so sweet! They will not only get paid a good wage to play but they will improve a great deal because they will be full time pros for the next 7 months! Glad to see the trip is paying off and lets hope there are more next year.

The hope is that the S-League can be a stepping stone league for these young men. Hopefully they can develop sufficiently to make the jump to bigger leagues (be it in Asia/Oceania, Europe or North America) and that more Canadians can follow their footsteps, kickstarting their professional careers through Singapore. The relationship with the Singapore FA and the S-League clubs has been established and hopefully will be strengthened in the future.

more updates from Singapore.

Another friendly, another victory for Sengkang Punggol

Not sure who the opponent was but I do know they are a team from the S-League.

Final Score was 4-1. All 4 Sengkang Punggol goals scored by the Canadians (3 goals for Wiredu, 1 goal for Bahadur).

Regular season kicks off on Feb 20.

Still waiting for some updates from Rickey Harris.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

^ I guess Singapore is better than nothing, at the end this could be resolved by the CSA if they get their act together and create a pro system.

"by the CSA if they get their act together"

Good one! Ha ha ha. Oh you were serious? Sorry about that. ;)

It would be great if there were more pro teams in Canada for players to get full time employment at but don't hold your breath for the CSA to do anything. In fact I would argue that they shouldn't be involved with pro soccer in Canada! Given their track record would you really want them involved at all?

More MLS & USL teams is the only routes we have. Lets make the most of them. 3 teams is a good start but we could do 3 more USL and I think we will.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

"by the CSA if they get their act together"

Good one! Ha ha ha. Oh you were serious? Sorry about that. ;)

It would be great if there were more pro teams in Canada for players to get full time employment at but don't hold your breath for the CSA to do anything. In fact I would argue that they shouldn't be involved with pro soccer in Canada! Given their track record would you really want them involved at all?

More MLS & USL teams is the only routes we have. Lets make the most of them. 3 teams is a good start but we could do 3 more USL and I think we will.

My comment was not about the CSA being involved with pro soccer, it's about them organizing a league officially and then let the people who knows how to run a pro system take care of business. The CSA's job would just be to start the project.

I don't agree with the notion that having more clubs involved with US soccer necessarily will help us in the long run, that would only be a temporary cure and what we need is not the americans to rescue us but us to come up with our own pro system.

Archived