CSL Select/AllStar Team to Singapore

Eric

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by UltraSuperMegaMo

Why wouldn’t TFC give Wigor Gomes a look? Admittedly, I’ve only seen him play a few times, but Gomes looks to have the combination of size, strength, speed, and scoring that TFC desperately needs at the forward position.

He was called up for the same game that Nascimento scored in. When TFC found out we had him on loan from Brazilian Portoguesa Sao Paulo they didnt take a chance in playing him which is understandable. I am his close friend, and even I would say hes a very raw product. He has now been able to free himself of his contract as his team was relegated so we are looking at options. I believe if he was to get one more season in the physical environment of Canada he could become something special.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Thanks, i've yet to find a source - even using Google - that listed his age.

What do you think of Dan Pelc? He's an '86 and has trialed with a Polish 1st Div. team and Nott. Forest

I like him hes got the right size and made some absolute amazing saves against us on Wigor headers.

Funny thing is the player I rated as the best Goalie in the league got only 3-4 starts all season. Ian Cummins at PFC, Cummins arrived back in Toronto leaving a lucrative decent 6 figure a year salary in the Eirecom league in Ireland being backup at Shamrock. As he was invited by TFC he took the chance of leaving Ireland. Mo shafted him in a bizarre manner after a month or so of preseason. He started this season hurt and when healthy again never really gained the trust of our coach to bypass our vice captain in net. He has been invited to pre season with TFC again but hes not sure if hes gonna bother.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Thanks, i've yet to find a source - even using Google - that listed his age.

What do you think of Dan Pelc? He's an '86 and has trialed with a Polish 1st Div. team and Nott. Forest

Nascimento is 22. He is a 1986

Pelc is a solid GK who is blessed with size (and he's reasonably agile too, considering how big he is). Like lots of the best CSL players, its tough to know exactly how good he can be unless he's in a fully professional situation, training daily with quality coaches working with him to improve where he's deficient.

quote:Originally posted by pfc

Can you imagine this team going to such a showcase:

GK:

Pelc (SWE)/Olivieri (ATT)

Def: Natt (PFC),Benedicovic (CRO),Kevin Mcintosh(PFC),Surprenant (ATT)

Mid: Medwin (Bra), Bailey (PFC), Da Silva (PFC), Nascimento (Bra)

FWD: P-R Mayard (ATT), Wigor Gomes (PFC)

I dont know Olivieri's age, but thats a team all under the age of 27. Would have been nice :)

Would the Attak guys participate, given that they have a direct line to the Impact?

Someone like Suprenant is a no-brainer for the USL within the next year or two as Montreal's back line ages, so would he risk injury to showcase himself to S-League coaches?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Would the Attak guys participate, given that they have a direct line to the Impact?

Someone like Suprenant is a no-brainer for the USL within the next year or two as Montreal's back line ages, so would he risk injury to showcase himself to S-League coaches?

I guess it depends on how much money Impact are willing to pay? I personally think Suprenant is better off staying in the Impact organization and, having seen him play twice this past season, i agree that he's about a year or two away from featuring regularly for Impact.

Edit: the S-League pays foreign players</u> pretty good, better than what the following TFC players earned last year:

Attakora-Gyan

Edwards

Elkinson

Gala

Gaudet

James

Rosenlund

Ja Smith

Jo Smith

no player is going to get rich playing in S-League but its a very nice city/country to live in, its easy for westerners to adapt to life in Singapore and these guys will get train in a professional environment.

Somewhat strange as the average attendance is a stagering 1845, with a low of 600 a high of 4205 according to

http://kallangroar.com/blogs/firdaus1990/153-s-league-2008-attendance-statistics.html

Sponsors overseas usually care the bill however.

here the leagues offical site if anyone is interested http://www.sleague.com/

I was reading up on the leagues salary cap, "S.League has seen the salary cap of players go up over the years, from $64,000 per team monthly in 2005 to the current $78,000"

Another interesting note is that there are three teams that appear owned and/or controlled by foreign interests and are stocked with an entirely non-Singaporean roster.

One team is entirely Japanes, another is entirely Korean and a third is entirely Chinese

i dno about him getting a 6 figure salary though, cause rovers were relegated =due to money problems, and i play for a under 21 team in the eircom league, and none of the best 1st team even get that I think. Its also a summer league like csl.

So was cummins born here and went over after college? and came back here then?

quote:Originally posted by Speed

i dno about him getting a 6 figure salary though, cause rovers were relegated =due to money problems, and i play for a under 21 team in the eircom league, and none of the best 1st team even get that I think. Its also a summer league like csl.

So was cummins born here and went over after college? and came back here then?

5k cdn a week do the math..he played there 2 seasons ago..as far as i know born in ireland immigrated to Canada with family at an early age..

quote:Originally posted by Eric

Looking at the S-League website, I'm now convince that league is a step up for our boys. Looks like a nice league with no fan pressure and the official language is english, it's a good start for these boys.

The key is the soccer infastructure is there and money...other then the ability to offer a more professional environment to train in, i wouldnt say its an enormous step up...I have to take a moment to congratulate the two on making it and taking the risk it involved to get there...that being said they were not even the best player in their position in their respective CSL squads, so in addition to congratulating them i wanna give kudos to the league we are involved in and lets realize we arent all that bad on the field </u>anymore although we remain light-years behind off it...

^ personally, I think it's impossible for us to judge how big of a step up it is for these players until they get there and report back. I agree that, on the field of play, I think these young men will be fine. The key will be the other 5 or 6 days of the week. that's where they will need to become professional footballers, in every sense of the word. that will be their challenge, IMO. That's what the CSL doesn't prepare these players for.

Further to your point above, I agree these men deserve our congratulations for taking the risk to make this trip. I was very impressed that these men believed in themselves and their ability enough to put the money down and just do it. It was a true risk/reward proposition and so far two players are reaping the rewards of taking the risk. Other good news stories may follow. The ones who don't sign contracts will have had an excellent experience that they can learn and grow from. I wonder if the players who chose not to go are kicking themselves in the butt for not having the faith in themselves to do it too.

To your final point, all of us who follow the league know that the soccer is generally very good and that there are very good players (and coaches) in this league. The top 5%-10% of players in CSL can definitely make a living at this sport (not likely in Canada, probably not in North America but somewhere), if opportunities were to present themselves. I just wish we could wave a magic wand and fix all the other issues that hold the league back

^ I don't know if he's in Toronto or back to France.

as for not signing, maybe he didn't perform at his best in Singapore. that happens. Hurtis is a very talented player...one of my two or three favorite players to watch last year in CSL, but he occassionally would float in and out of matches so maybe he wasn't as focused as he needed to be. I don't know for sure.

Yea most definitely, but when he does shine, he makes the rest of the players look very average. He doesn't work enough for a midfielder from what I've seen of him, as in defending and getting up for headers etc... but he is magic with ball at feet and from set pieces.

Archived