CSL Select/AllStar Team to Singapore

Eric

^ As far as I know he CSL had nothing to do with the organization of this trip, one of the players friends told me that everything was put together by the coach Rafa Carbajal. The invitation to take a team to Singapore was made directly to him and the original idea was to take the best CSL players but because they had to pay for their flight ticket, it was not possible for most of them to make the trip.

As you said, it'll be great if one or two players can make it there, that will mean that CSL players are of a good enough level.

Let's wait and see what the news are.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big News </u> (at least its big news in my opinion)

2 of the players from the CSL Selects showcase team have secured contracts to play professionally in Singapore. They will be playing for the same team (which is obviously good for them because at least there will be a familiar face on the squad).

Details will follow tomorrow but I do know that these players have signed 1 year contracts with an option for 1 more year (club option).

I think this says alot about the quality of the CSL (and its players) and affirms what I've been saying fora while, which is that the CSL must be taken seriously as a stepping stone league. Our best players can make a living at this sport and the CSL is clearly (to me) a very good player development stream for people with professional ambition. I really hope that this type of news results in an influx of talented young players with pro ambition trying out for CSL teams in the new year. To me, this is the league where the best U18 players in Ontario should be playing their soccer.

I'm not sure, at this point, if any other players on the showcase tour will be offered contracts but if they do, I'll gladly share the news

^ I can confirm that one of the players who signed a contract is Murphy Wiredu (of Vaughn Italia Shooters of CSL).

the name of the other player that signed is Anthony Bahadur, who played for Rafa Carbajal at North York Astros the last two months of the 2008 season. Bahadur also played for Toronto Lynx of PDL (he joined Astros at the end of the PDL season)

welll done Murphy Wiredu and Anthony Bahadur, now its time for the league to move up in the world. thanks you Rafa Carbajal for giving canada a chance.

Very insipring news, 2 players earn a contract.

I totally agree that CSL is a good league for players of the ambition to turn professional.

Got me training harder now, Thanks vpjr for these news

quote:Originally posted by Speed

Thats great for him. Are they going home getting there stuff and straight back to Singapore? Is there season in progress already

The S-League season starts in the new year. I am quite certain they will be returning home first before returning to Singapore for training camp

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The old Canadian saw, if it's foreign it must by definition be better than anything local :(

That's not the case at all Richard. I'm surprised that you have interpreted it as such.

The absolutely pathetic lack of fully professional footballing opportunities here in Canada (only 3 teams where one can earn a liveable wage) forces our players with professional ambition to leave home.

I applaud these young men for taking a risk (paying out of pocket to showcase themselves) and winning an opportunity to fulfill what is likely a dream scenario of playing soccer professionally FULL TIME.

I have no qualms with Whitecaps and Impact....they have done quite a bit for Canadian soccer and have given a large number of Canadian players the ability to persue this sport professionally and Full Time. TFC has not done much heavy lifting yet but one can hope they will one day. However, after those 3 teams, what options are there. Those three teams represent a maximum of 75 jobs (assuming no foreign players are brought in to take those spots). There are far more than 75 Canadian players with professional ambition.

Furthermore, I'm willing to wager that the money these young men will earn next season is better than what TFC would have paid had they been offered DEV deals or even the lowest level Senior roster salary

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The old Canadian saw, if it's foreign it must by definition be better than anything local :(

That's not the case at all Richard. I'm surprised that you have interpreted it as such.

The absolutely pathetic lack of fully professional footballing opportunities here in Canada (only 3 teams where one can earn a liveable wage) forces our players with professional ambition to leave home.

I applaud these young men for taking a risk (paying out of pocket to showcase themselves) and winning an opportunity to fulfill what is likely a dream scenario of playing soccer professionally FULL TIME.

I have no qualms with Whitecaps and Impact....they have done quite a bit for Canadian soccer and have given a large number of Canadian players the ability to persue this sport professionally and Full Time. TFC has not done much heavy lifting yet but one can hope they will one day. However, after those 3 teams, what options are there. Those three teams represent a maximum of 75 jobs (assuming no foreign players are brought in to take those spots). There are far more than 75 Canadian players with professional ambition.

Furthermore, I'm willing to wager that the money these young men will earn next season is better than what TFC would have paid had they been offered DEV deals or even the lowest level Senior roster salary

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

great news. another set of CSL players heading abroad always reflects well on the league. VP do you have any more info on the two players, Murphy Wiredu and Anthony Bahadur? Where they're from, age, past teams ect?? thanks

Here's a wiki page for Murphy Wiredu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy_Wiredu

Anthony (Baha) Bahadur doesn't have a wiki page but he can be found on Facebook.

He's a 1988 (20 years old). This past year he played for Toronto Lynx and North York Astros. According to Facebook, he had been enrolled at U of Cincinnati but I assume that he was no longer enrolled there if he played pro this summer.

Wow, very surprised, but good on them!! Have a feeling Rafael has tapped into a goldmine here. When CSL players see who was able to secure contracts they will practically be begging him to be part of future trips.

Update on Gagan Natt mentioned earlier in tread, he is off to Castanhal Esporte Clube in Para state Brazil for a six week trial. As he is coming off injury he has been given until early January to impress. He has been given the trial based on a word put in by Helinho (previous Lynx/Stallions/Supra/PFC player now at Millionairos of Colombia).

Rafa has just done wonders for this league i my opinion. It makes it so much more appealing to young foreigners like me, or even young local players, that if you get a good season or two under ur belt in the CSL, there is possibilities moving onto better leagues, and after looking into the S-league it looks pretty decent like, they get huge crowds.

quote:Originally posted by pfc

Wow, very surprised, but good on them!! Have a feeling Rafael has tapped into a goldmine here. When CSL players see who was able to secure contracts they will practically be begging him to be part of future trips.

Update on Gagan Natt mentioned earlier in tread, he is off to Castanhal Esporte Clube in Para state Brazil for a six week trial. As he is coming off injury he has been given until early January to impress. He has been given the trial based on a word put in by Helinho (previous Lynx/Stallions/Supra/PFC player now at Millionairos of Colombia).

pfc, that's great news about Gagan Natt. Does he have Canadian links or is purely 100% Norwegian?

As for the players winning contracts, I'm not overly surprised about Murphy being offered a contract. I felt that, if anyone was going to get an offer, it would Murphy and/or Jon Hurtis.

As for Baha, I haven't seen enough of Baha to get an opinion (only saw him play a couple of games with Astros last season). I'm sure that the S-League scouts liked his size and pace. I get the feeling that a player like Baha might thrive in a fully professional environment and 5 day a week training.

Hopefully, based on getting 2 players signed this year (and maybe more to come, who knows) there will be a flood of players who will start saving their money now to buy plane tickets for next year's showcase (assuming there will be one next year).

quote:Originally posted by Speed

Rafa has just done wonders for this league i my opinion. It makes it so much more appealing to young foreigners like me, or even young local players, that if you get a good season or two under ur belt in the CSL, there is possibilities moving onto better leagues, and after looking into the S-league it looks pretty decent like, they get huge crowds.

Rafa is one of several really high quality coaches in the league that young players should be lining up to try out for.

As I said above, the CSL is the league where Ontario's best 17-19 year old players MUST play if they have professional ambition (unless, of course, one of the 3 domestic fully pro teams signs them or they have interest from overseas). Obviously, it can be a good stepping stone league for young foreign players too. It will be interesting to see what comes of this. It is critical that the news of these signings is publicized to help promote the league as an elite/professional player development league in order to convince more and more young players to make the jump from OYSL to CSL.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

pfc, that's great news about Gagan Natt. Does he have Canadian links or is purely 100% Norwegian?

As for the players winning contracts, I'm not overly surprised about Murphy being offered a contract. I felt that, if anyone was going to get an offer, it would Murphy and/or Jon Hurtis.

As for Baha, I haven't seen enough of Baha to get an opinion (only saw him play a couple of games with Astros last season). I'm sure that the S-League scouts liked his size and pace. I get the feeling that a player like Baha might thrive in a fully professional environment and 5 day a week training.

Hopefully, based on getting 2 players signed this year (and maybe more to come, who knows) there will be a flood of players who will start saving their money now to buy plane tickets for next year's showcase (assuming there will be one next year).

Baha being 20 years old and like you said his physical build has probably had a big say in the clubs decision making. I rate him as an athlete first not so much a player, but in the right environment he may thrive. I was attempting to send Wigor Gomes down from Portugal FC, however at the time he was not free'd from his contract with Portuguesa Sao Paulo. Wigor (8 goals in 12 regular season games) is also 20 years old and an ever bigger athlete then Bahadur. Wigor is now available and I will be looking at assisting him in getting trials in Asia.

Gagan was born and raised in Norway, however played U16 and up locally. His goal is to play in Norway in the next few years.

Can you imagine this team going to such a showcase:

GK:

Pelc (SWE)/Olivieri (ATT)

Def: Natt (PFC),Benedicovic (CRO),Kevin Mcintosh(PFC),Surprenant (ATT)

Mid: Medwin (Bra), Bailey (PFC), Da Silva (PFC), Nascimento (Bra)

FWD: P-R Mayard (ATT), Wigor Gomes (PFC)

I dont know Olivieri's age, but thats a team all under the age of 27. Would have been nice :)

The CSL has got to get some media attention to cover this. Next year a CSL Allstar team should not only be sent back to Sig. but to other countries overseas well there. We need a GM for this team to start the process now for next year...getting big time sponsors, talking to different FA's ect.

Just spoke to Rafa Carbajal. He's back now, as is the team.

It looks like Murphy and Baha will be leaving within 2 weeks for Singapore to start preparing for next season.

The scouts in Singapore were very impressed with our players and are sure they will thrive in a fully professional environment.

Apparently the players and Rafa loved Singapore. Great place, very clean.

Hopefully there will be more good news to report soon.

Archived