CSL Select/AllStar Team to Singapore

Eric

I just saw this on the CSL website www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/news_archive.php?news_id=112514 , I guess they're looking to promote the league and it's players overseas. Good initiative though. I wonder who are the players going?

Selection underway for Singapore visit

2008-10-01

Singapore Opportunity for CSL Players

Singapore may be the smallest country in Southeast Asia (population 4.5 million), but it’s big on sports. Especially soccer. The Singapore Football Association was tagged as the Asian Football Confederation's 'Mover of the Year' in 2005. The national association wants to do more with soccer and it’s for this reason the national body has extended an invitation to the Canadian Soccer League to send a select side to the island republic to play several games against their first division clubs this coming November.

Visiting overseas teams, they reason, will help soccer’s development in Singapore. It’s a part of the world where the world’s game has established an increasing presence in recent times and Singapore is determined not to be left behind.

The CSL, represented by Rafael Carbajal, the head coach of North York Astros with considerable coaching experience overseas, has started the selection of a squad to go to Singapore from November 10 to 25, 2008 and he is inviting players who are available for the two-week trip to make application for a tryout before the selection is finalized on October 13.

Applications for consideration should go to Rafael Carbajal at rafael.carbajal@hotmail.com.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I guess the ones that want a shot at becoming fully professional players and not semi-pros as they are now in the CSL. I imagine that if any of the players have a good show over there, they might be contacted by one of the pro clubs from the S-League, that's the way it usually works.

I think this is a showcase for the Canadian players. Good for the CSL for putting something like this together. IMO it's a step towards international recognition (even if it's Singapore).

• 4 weeks later...

^ Coach Carbajal has assembled most of the team for this trip but wouldn't mind a few more players. Apparently its a pretty good group but I don't have a list of names to share. When the team is finalized, I'll get the list from the coach and post it here.

I have been helping Coach Carbajal to secure some sponsorship for this team to help offset some of the costs of taking the trip. My company has kicked in to pay for the team uniforms. Legea was nice enough to offer us a very good price on these kits, which was really appreciated.

We are still trying to secure some sponsors so if anyone on the forums works for a company that might be interested in providing some amount of sponsorship support, please drop me an email and I'll be happy to send a sponsorship package. Time is of the essence because the team leaves in less than 3 weeks and I still have to get the sponsor logos applied to the kits.

This is a real opportunity for young Canadians to earn themselves a pro contract to play in Singapore for the 2009 season, which kicks off in February. This CSL select team will be playing friendlies against teams from the Singapore pro league and scouts will be watching.

As far as I know, the only charge for the players is the flight ticket, everything else is covered by the FA from Singapore.

If I was a bit younger I wouldn't miss this opportunity........ I forgot to mention if I was a better player too :D

• 3 weeks later...

^ No News so far. They flew out last Tuesday so I imagine that they would have played 1 showcase match by now.

EDIT: Coach Rafa Carbajal just sent me an email to advise that the Select Team played their first game on Monday and drew 2-2 vs. a local pro club. Apparently, Rafa's group was leading 2-1 when the referee made a dodgy PK call in favor of the opponents in the 89th minute. Rafa claims the foul occured about 1 meter outside the box but such is life in soccer.

Apparently the Selects played very well and have impressed their hosts. Too early to tell if there will be any contracts forthcoming

I will provide updates as I get them. I'm hoping for some pics as well, which I will post on a file sharing site.

quote:Originally posted by ray

Any news on which players make up the CSL Selects?

I don't have the full roster that went to Singapore but I can tell you that the goal scorers for Monday's game were Murphy Wiredu (Vaughn Italia Shooters, CSL) and Rickey Harris (I'm not familiar with this player and the only google hit I can find for a player matching that name is a Rickey Harris who played for Seneca College in 2007)

I can tell you that 10 young men (a GK and 9 outfield players) made the trip. Coach Carbajal indicated to me that the hosts from Singapore were going to provide an extra player to round out the roster. If this trip goes well this year, the hope will be that more players will go next year, assuming they are invited again.

here is a photo of the team before their first game

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12723134@N03/

quote:Originally posted by FutureStarCSL

nice nice, stadium looks nice to. well done CSL, on there way up. When the players come back CSL should not be consider a player development league, it should be Canada's pro league. Nice job vpjr with the photo upload

I will continue to post pics to my flickr page when I get more from Coach Carbajal.

I think it would be great if the CSL became Canada's premier Professional Development league. There is a big void in the development pyramid here in Ontario and the CSL could fill that void by ensuring a minimum of X number of U20 players on every roster (I'd like to see a minimum of 5 U20 players on each CSL roster, or something like that). Young players need to be playing as many high level matches as they can, coached by good coaches (and there are a bunch of good coaches in CSL now)

if the development model I envision for the CSL works here in Ontario (and Quebec), then they could take that across the country if their expansion plans come to fruition.

game 2 update:

Tonight, the Selects took the field against an All Star team of some sort, consisting of a bunch of Brazilians who have been playing in Singapore and some other players from the local pro league.

The Singapore league All Stars came out on top 3-2. Not sure who scored for the Selects yet but I'll update when I do.

Apparently it had rained heavily the night before so the field was very heavy and the air was quite thick with humidity, causing the Selects to tire more quickly than the game previous.

They have one more game before coming back to Canada. Maybe they can manage a win in their final match.

here is a link to my flickr page to see the team lineup before this match. Many thanks to Legea for the fantastic looking Uniforms and track suits

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12723134@N03/3045513063/

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I don't have the full roster that went to Singapore but I can tell you that the goal scorers for Monday's game were Murphy Wiredu (Vaughn Italia Shooters, CSL) and Rickey Harris (I'm not familiar with this player and the only google hit I can find for a player matching that name is a Rickey Harris who played for Seneca College in 2007)

I can tell you that 10 young men (a GK and 9 outfield players) made the trip. Coach Carbajal indicated to me that the hosts from Singapore were going to provide an extra player to round out the roster. If this trip goes well this year, the hope will be that more players will go next year, assuming they are invited again.

here is a photo of the team before their first game

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12723134@N03/

That is Ricky Harris of GS United. I assisted him in taking part in this trip, he replaced Gagan Natt of Portugal FC as he sustained an injury 1 week before the trip.

Just a quick update....

The Selects had their final match scheduled for Sunday evening but after 20 minutes, that game had to be called off due to a torrential rain storm that ripped through Singapore.

The organizers were able to schedule a make up match for Monday evening (probably taking place right now) so I'll update as soon as I get results.

Cheers

Here's my last update regarding the Singapore Showcase:

On Monday evening (Singapore time...about 12 hours ago) the CSL Selects earned a tough 1-0 victory in the final game of the Showcase Series.

The CSL Selects played against a team that dressed 28 players and were permitted unlimited substitutions (the CSL Selects literally had only 11 players so no subs were made).

CSL goal was scored by Happy Hall of North York Astros (he's also captain of Bermuda's MNT).

BTW, in the 3-2 loss last week, the two goals for the CSL side were scored by Murphy Wiredu and Rickey Harris (it was the 2nd goal of the series for each player).

According to Coach Rafa Carbajal, the Selects impressed the scouts and hopefully there will be some good news in December when the team make final decisions on the offering of contracts.

Way to go guys....

The team will be returning to Toronto on the 27th of November.

lets hope there's a player or two that do get contracts. I find it somewhat odd that the Singapore FA came to the CSL with this offer. Does anyone have any background on exactly how this came about. Also, I've never followed or heard much about Singapore football, what kind of salaries and attendance does the first division hold.

Archived