2009 Gold Cup

Reds YNWA

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

We should ask to host our own group and that's it.

Hosting the entire tournament would be a financial disaster, imo.

We'd turn hosting our own group into a disaster in any case - can't you see it 6 group games spread over four cities and three time zones... I mean obviously Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver would all have to have at least one game hell we'd probably throw Ottawa and Victoria into the mix and have the 666 group - 6 games in 6 cities in 6 days tour...

Sunday we're in Victoria, Wednesday in Toronto and Saturday in Montreal... my luggage is in Yellowknife and I don't know if it's time for lunch, breakfast or kick-off...

at least we'd have a new excuse... [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Big Daddy K

Host it? We didn't even host the Women's Olympic qualifier, so I'd be completely shocked if the CSA bid to host it

Bang on. The rumours that Canada was hosting came right before the U-20 WC, after that there has been silence on this front considering the money the CSA lost on this event.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I can see BMO hosting Canada's Group. We are not ready to host the whole thing. Some might complain about Toronto getting all the games, but the only other alternative is our group being in the USA.

I think we can host at least two groups actually. Put a hispanic group in Montreal and our group in Toronto. Put the other group in some place like New York or New England.

Is the tournament 12 teams this year? I heard rumblings about expanding to 16?

The tourney better stay at 12 teams, 16 would result in some crap teams entering. With 12 teams all or them are pretty good and 1 or 2 notables will be left out to make qualifying competitive. For hosting, I think we can easily host it. Hopefully in part in 2009, but definetly in full for 2011.

In 2011 we should have 5 great stadiums. BMO field, Saputo Stadium, the New Vancouver Stadium hopefully and the New Ottawa MLS Stadium should all be 20,000-30,000 seats and soccer specific with grass.

Then a big cup final at the CommonWealth Stadium filling all 61,000 seats.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

How did the CSA lose money on the most popular u20 tourny ever?

Well actually they ended up breaking even, because FIFA agreed to pay off the financial losses of the CSA, but if that were not the case the CSA would have lost money on the tournament. How - thats a good question...

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

The tourney better stay at 12 teams, 16 would result in some crap teams entering. With 12 teams all or them are pretty good and 1 or 2 notables will be left out to make qualifying competitive. For hosting, I think we can easily host it. Hopefully in part in 2009, but definetly in full for 2011.

In 2011 we should have 5 great stadiums. BMO field, Saputo Stadium, the New Vancouver Stadium hopefully and the New Ottawa MLS Stadium should all be 20,000-30,000 seats and soccer specific with grass.

Then a big cup final at the CommonWealth Stadium filling all 61,000 seats.

It will only help the region with 16 teams. When you think of the extra teams they won't be that bad.

4 teams to add that weren't in last Gold Cup for instance. Jamaica, Netherland Antilles, St. Vincent and Grenadines and Grenada. Grenada has a premier league striker and an MLS star decent team, St.VAG is a decent team not great but decent, Netherland Antilles loaded with Eredivisie and Jupiler league players also.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Well actually they ended up breaking even, because FIFA agreed to pay off the financial losses of the CSA, but if that were not the case the CSA would have lost money on the tournament. How - thats a good question...

I still don't believe it.

If we weren't talking about the CSA I'd instinctively put it down to "creative accounting". Smoke and mirrors tricks used by clever bean counters to hide/seperate real world money from balance sheet money.

But we are talking about the CSA so it's entirely possible that the hospitality costs associated with the U20s did take a big chunk out of the tourny profits. (that is to say, for example, with hind sight being 20/20 restocking CSA HQ's cellar with 600 cases of whisky for the tourny may have been overkill by about 550 cases. Oops. Oh my. Whatever will we do with them all?)

MY Experiences from past Gold Cups. Anyone who has ever been to the Gold Cup matches in the US will quickly realise why the US ( and in particular Miami, LA, BOS/NY/Was ) are the best places to host this event.

It becomes obvious that its not the soccer or the event that keeps this thing in existance. Its the presence and support in massive numbers of the ethic communities from central america and the Carribean that turn it into a gathering and party to see their team. Without that, the event would probably not even exist because there are no fans there (realtively speaking) to see sides like the US or Canada. Similarly, its silly to advocate the expansion to the tournament to include smaller sized countries in the region when there is no one around to come out and support them in sufficient numbers.

I was in Miami in 2002 to see Canada vs Haiti. They drew 34-35K Haitians and only about 12 Canadians. When CRC plays, they will draw similar numbers of ticos. Same with other sides including mexico where their support in the US probably exceeds the entire population of Canada. We saw a triple header in Boston one year ( Can-CRC, MLS game, and US - ES). the percentage of support for the US team was not even noticable even though the overall turnout was fairly decent. The key to success for this event is to draw and make it accessible to those fans. As we know, Soccer fans from latin America are willing to travel to see their national teams. But how far will they go to watch the Gold cup? We know that they will come to Canada to watch WCQ'ers, but are they willing to travel to Canada to watch the Gold Cup?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

MY Experiences from past Gold Cups. Anyone who has ever been to the Gold Cup matches in the US will quickly realise why the US ( and in particular Miami, LA, BOS/NY/Was ) are the best places to host this event.

You quickly realise that its not the soccer or the event that keeps this thing in existance. Its the presence and support in massive numbers of the ethic communities from central america and the Carribean that turn it into a gathering and party to see their team. Without that, the event would probably not even exist because there are no fans there (realtively speaking) to see sides like the US or Canada.

I was in Miami in 2002 to see Canada vs Haiti. They drew 34-35K Haitians and only about 12 Canadians. When CRC plays, they will draw similar numbers of ticos. Same with other sides including mexico where their support in the US probably exceeds the entire population of Canada. We saw a triple header in Boston one year ( Can-CRC, MLS game, and US - ES). the percentage of support for the US team was not even noticable even though the overall turnout was fairly decent. The key to success for this event is to draw and make it accessible to those fans. As we know, Soccer fans from latin America are willing to travel to see their national teams. But how far will they go to watch the Gold cup? We know that they will come to Canada to watch WCQ'ers, but are they willing to travel to Canada to watch the Gold Cup?

Yeah I know a gang of Mexicans from a pickup game on the weekends and they claim not to even follow the Gold Cup nor the WCQ up until the hex. They may be exaggerating but that's what they say. So if that's a true indication then the support here could be abysmal.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

You quickly realise that its not the soccer or the event that keeps this thing in existance. Its the presence and support in massive numbers of the ethic communities from central america and the Carribean that turn it into a gathering and party to see their team. Without that, the event would probably not even exist because there are no fans there (realtively speaking) to see sides like the US or Canada.

Yeah I know a gang of Mexicans from a pickup game on the weekends and they claim not to even follow the Gold Cup nor the WCQ up until the hex. They may be exaggerating but that's what they say. So if that's a true indication then the support here could be abysmal.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Thats would not be totally unusual. It depends on what you are used to and what you expect. There was a time that, even in Canada, there was never any mention of WCQ until the hex. Or the later stages. It was always assumed that Canada was one of the 3-4 contenders for the 2-3 spots and that Canada would breeze through these pre lim rounds. For example, I lelieve that in WCQ 98, none of the matches in the semi final round were even shown on TV. The opponents in concacaf have really improved.

Archived