Montreal v Seattle [R]

quote:Originally posted by MTLcanada514

It feels good to be on the good side of the "doubtful" calls for once. The haters are gonna say well impact players also were in the box but im not 100% sure of the exact rule, maybe someone who'se referee'd before on this board can explain? anyways this feels greattttttt,

Laws of the Game say that if both teams encroach prior to the PK, it must be retaken. On replay, it appears as though SEA player encroached after the 2 Impact players and cost his team a goal. I'm sure the ref was looking for that.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Has Joey made light of what might happen should Montreal progress? Do they still have the turf from the U20's to play in the big O?

That's a good question. Grande said in an interview something like "I hope we're here in February, paying in the snow"... which sounds like he thinks they'd play outdoors... which sounds crazy... and also he's in no position to know and was probably just talking out of his arse.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I've mentioned this a million times now, but the 2nd leg for that same round is in early March. I'm guessing CONCACAF would force Montreal to have that game at home, if they are get to that point.

Of course, March can still mean snow in this country. [:P]

There is still Olympic stadium right next door that is if they have the same turf as what was used for the U20 WC. There is no way you can play soccer outdoors in Montreal ( or anywhere else in Canada aside from BC )in February or March.

That second half was bizarre at times, but otherwise one hell of a spectacle. I am so divided on who I want to see advance out of the Mon-Van semi that I might have to get a USLLive account to watch the games live. Oh wait... I work Friday evening, damnit.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Because of roof trouble, the Big O playing surface is closed for the winter, and maybe until March.

What I don't understand is that with the heavy snowfalls we've had this past winter which made pretty much every roof in the province a cause for concern, the Big O's roof didn't have any sort of problem. Nobody even talked about it.

It usually collapses easily, on its own, when there's a bit too much wind, out of boredom or when Japanese tourists take a picture of it with a flash that is a tiny bit too powerful. But record snowfalls, nope, no problemo senor...

[?]

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

What I don't understand is that with the heavy snowfalls we've had this past winter which made pretty much every roof in the province a cause for concern, the Big O's roof didn't have any sort of problem. Nobody even talked about it.

It usually collapses easily, on its own, when there's a bit too much wind, out of boredom or when Japanese tourists take a picture of it with a flash that is a tiny bit too powerful. But record snowfalls, nope, no problemo senor...

[?]

Haha nice. The problems were with it's flimsy retractable design, whereas since they decided to permanently cement it closed there haven't been any issues.

What I've heard is they're taking it off for repairs, which is what may enable the Canadiens to have a outdoor game there next season. so that kind of bodes ill for an indoor soccer match.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

The problems were with it's flimsy retractable design, whereas since they decided to permanently cement it closed there haven't been any issues.

Hmm yeah. Except that time in 99 when it was brand new and everybody discovered in awe that it couldn't handle the weight of the snow when it COLLAPSED on the cars set up for the auto show below it, which triggered the systematic closing of the area in the winter ever since.

There have been improvements since to get rid of the snow piling up on top of it, so maybe it's time to reconsider the winter ban...

quote:Originally posted by Keano

What I've heard is they're taking it off for repairs, which is what may enable the Canadiens to have a outdoor game there next season. so that kind of bodes ill for an indoor soccer match.

Last time I checked the roof was still there, as far as I know there are no plans to take it off this autumn (don't forget they play the Gray Cup there in November). I also doubt they will take it off during the winter, so I guess there will be a roof on the thing in march. If I was Saputo I would ask Legendre to contact the CIO right now, inspect the thing in december and make your decision then, make sure there is not much snow on it this winter and VOILA we should be able to play in march.

All we need is a playable surface. Again if I was Saputo I would buy a surface that is easily removable, you put it on an outside pitch during the summer, somwhere in Montreal and store it for winter in the Big O. That way it can be used all year long.

Archived