Fraser Valley/Vancouver Metro League

bettermirror

Do we have any experts on these leagues around? I know there is takethepiss.com but really I can't be bothered with the posturing on that site - very little in the way of honest commentary.

Good leagues in regards to the top few in each league. Well, Vancouver metro may be a higher quality, but are the training habits any better? I know, for example, a top team in the FV league can basically be a beer league team with some dedicated guys - not to diminish the talent of the players, simple the state of the league itself. It's a top rec league for sure and there are some good players - but the culture of the league is what it is.

Comments on them? Insight?

Prove me wrong then Richard - I am looking for info and opinion. All discussion on this part of the site is geared toward the eastern men's leagues. Why not generate some discussion about the pacific's top amateur winter league in which a lot of ex-Whitecaps and loads of PCSL players spend their time?

C'mon, Rich.

quote:I know there is takethepiss.com but really I can't be bothered with the posturing on that site - very little in the way of honest commentary.
If you can't be bothered to ask questions on TTP, or even search for that matter since there ARE good discussions about the very topics you are asking about here, what exactly do you expect?

Calgary Boomer,

I don't think there is much to what you have heard. Over the years, there have been a couple of rumours of individual cases of players being paid at certain "fly by night" clubs but it is certainly not the norm and 100% nowhere near what I would consider the "not badly" category :)

Off the top of my head, here are the ex-whitecaps currently playing VMSL and the teams they are with:

Paul Daily - West Van Premier/Masters

Dave Fiorvento - West Van Premier Coach

Olly Heald - Croatia Premier

Johnny Sulentic - Croatia Premier

Didar Sandhu - Croatia Premier

Dave Morris - ICST Pegasus Div 1

Rob Reed - ICST Pegasus Div 1

Nico Berg - West Van Premier

Mike Dodd - West Van Premier

Tino Cucca - Inter Premier

Tiarnan King - Columbus Premier

Rob Merkl - Westside Masters :)

John Catliff - Westside Masters :)

Tony Fonseca - Columbus Masters :)

Steve Millar - Norvan Premier

The last name may be linked to what you heard but he was lured to Norvan to be player/coach and is getting a bit of jing to do so after a small falling out at Surrey United last year.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Prove me wrong then Richard - I am looking for info and opinion. All discussion on this part of the site is geared toward the eastern men's leagues. Why not generate some discussion about the pacific's top amateur winter league in which a lot of ex-Whitecaps and loads of PCSL players spend their time?

C'mon, Rich.

Have no interest in proving you right or wrong. You expressed quite strong opinions in your opening post, that's all I was observing.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Calgary Boomer,

I don't think there is much to what you have heard. Over the years, there have been a couple of rumours of individual cases of players being paid at certain "fly by night" clubs but it is certainly not the norm and 100% nowhere near what I would consider the "not badly" category :)

Off the top of my head, here are the ex-whitecaps currently playing VMSL and the teams they are with:

Paul Daily - West Van Premier/Masters

Dave Fiorvento - West Van Premier Coach

Olly Heald - Croatia Premier

Johnny Sulentic - Croatia Premier

Didar Sandhu - Croatia Premier

Dave Morris - ICST Pegasus Div 1

Rob Reed - ICST Pegasus Div 1

Nico Berg - West Van Premier

Mike Dodd - West Van Premier

Tino Cucca - Inter Premier

Tiarnan King - Columbus Premier

Rob Merkl - Westside Masters :)

John Catliff - Westside Masters :)

Tony Fonseca - Columbus Masters :)

Steve Millar - Norvan Premier

The last name may be linked to what you heard but he was lured to Norvan to be player/coach and is getting a bit of jing to do so after a small falling out at Surrey United last year.

Maybe it's not practice anymore, but one of the players on that list told me how much he got paid and I was surprised. I think the Whitecaps also put a stop to their players joining winter leagues.

• 3 weeks later...

The Whitecaps have a team in the VMSL, for their young guys anyways, they release them from their contracts in time to get them playing...I believe they are the Delta WFC team in VMSL Premier.

What do you want to know!? TTP is really the authority on goings on relevant to the FVSL and VMSL.

I think your take on the FVSL is rather unfair though...The FVSL is not less serious or anything, you probably just see a bit higher calibre out of the VMSL sides, and the depth in the teams in the VMSL is a lot better than the Depth in the FVSL.

the FVSL Premier teams are largely made up of good journeymen Amateur Players and then they get all the players from College (Trinity, UCFV, etc) join up.

The VMSL gets the same thing, but there are guys playing there that could still be playing in the USL, or better (Xausa, Sulentic, etc)

Archived