Onstad singing the US anthem

nolando

WTF Nolando??? You're in need of some drama or what?

I don't know if most of the foreigners are singing nationals anthem but here Onstad is english speaking and living in the USA who happens to have an english speaking national anthem who is pretty recognizable for any canadian who have watch a bit of hockey during his youth.

My point was that since it's in english it's easier for an english speaking person to hum or sing to himself this very recognizable anthem. I'm pretty sure that most canadians watching TV do the same with the US anthem.

My problem is that you started a thread with this non incident.

As far as I know, Pat might have the US citizenship and I know at least a few players in our MNT pool does.

My point was that since it's in english it's easier for an english speaking person to hum or sing to himself this very recognizable anthem. I'm pretty sure that most canadians watching TV do the same with the US anthem.

My problem is that you started a thread with this non incident.

As far as I know, Pat might have the US citizenship and I know at least a few players in our MNT pool does.

Onstad is a US citizen. Certainly anyone with dual citizenship should be entitled to sing the anthems of both countries. However, I think for a national team player for country A but for a club in country B might be better off refraining from this when his club team is playing a game in country A. It is not something I would get that upset about but it does seem a bit weird to see a national team player for your country singing the anthem of another country on your home soil.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Onstad is a US citizen. Certainly anyone with dual citizenship should be entitled to sing the anthems of both countries. However, I think for a national team player for country A but for a club in country B might be better off refraining from this when his club team is playing a game in country A. It is not something I would get that upset about but it does seem a bit weird to see a national team player for your country singing the anthem of another country on your home soil.

The only time I would feel bad about him singing the US anthem is when we are playing the US. But even there, I guess sometimes you sing or hum the anthem by reflex more than on purpose.

Guest Jeffery S.

I sing the Catalan national anthem when they play friendlies, as far as I can remember the words. I don't sing the Spanish as it doesn't have words, they had a contest to put lyrics to it but everyone turned on the winner so they just dropped it.

You would not catch me dead singing the US national anthem, though I admit that it is an excellent piece of words and music, if only the country could live up to the quality of its anthem.

It does bother me that Onstad sang it, but I think the problem is even playing the damn things, a horrible idea and so stupid for club sports. But the players get nervous standing there and they have to something, so you sing it to pass the time.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Are you sure he's a US citizen? As far as I am aware the USA does not normally permeit dual citizenship so has Onstad renounced his Canadian citizenship or does he have some special dispensation from the US government to hold dual citizenship?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

As far as I am aware the USA does not normally permeit dual citizenship so has Onstad renounced his Canadian citizenship or does he have some special dispensation from the US government to hold dual citizenship?

Wrong.

They premit dual citizenship. My brother still has two passports and lives in Frisco, Texas.

And I sing the US anthem out of respect when at events, because I know it and respect it. Do I get my own 'WTF?!?!?' on here now?

In some (but, please note, not all) cases, a country may seek to restrict dual citizenship by requiring one of its citizens born with some other citizenship to renounce (give up) the other citizenship upon reaching adulthood. Similarly, newly naturalized citizens in some (but not all) countries are required to renounce their previous citizenship(s); the US has such a requirement, for example, but Canada does not. And in some (but, again, not all) cases, a country will automatically revoke the citizenship of one of its citizens who acquires another country's citizenship by naturalization, even if no explicit renunciation was involved.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

According to any American border guard, a Canadian with dual American/Canadian citizenship is an American. They could care less about your Canadian passport. So while it is possible to have a both a Canadian and American passport, you'll have to get the American one first. (Unless you were born in Canada to American parents).

However, there are all sorts of work visas Canadians can get in the US.

The USA allows dual citizenship. Anyone doubting that can read the following from the US State Department: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Pat Onstad is a US citizen. The following excerpt is from an article about Houston's visit to the Whitehouse when they won the MLS Championship:

Goalkeeper Pat Onstad, a Canadian who became a U.S. citizen last year, hopes the visit will rub off on the team. "Hopefully, it's a little incentive to get invited back next year. We've got a long way to go right now. I'm excited to see how we turn it around. I am confident we will."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2007/05/white_house_guests.html

As I stated it doesn't really bother me that much but I do find it a bit strange for a national team player to sing the anthem of another country on our soil. However, it certainly doesn't bother me far so much as all the goals he has gifted to other teams during various WCQ. If he was a good keeper for us he could sing the anthem of the Soviet Union for all I care.

quote:Originally posted by finchster

Who cares? He lives in the USA works in the USA and is showing respect for the nation that allowed him to become a professonal soccer player.

Y'know what? I bet that before some random game he decided to mouth the words to the anthem and then he went out and got a shutout or something like that. Dollars to donuts its superstition and nothing more than that. Mountain out of a molehill.

Archived