Canadians abroad: September 26 - October 2, 2008

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for September 26 - October 2, 2008.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

No Hirschfeld again for Cluj as they play a big game against Steaua.

I looked around a few of the Romanian sites and found this:

http://www.cfrmania.ro/stiri/4077/hirschfeld-e-aproape-de-o-despartire-de-cfr-cluj.htm

My Romanian is not great, but my understanding of that article is that he no longer has a place on the team and he is looking for a new team in the winter(which I guess means after Jan 1 during the transfer window?) There's even a statement from an official at the club that says something along the line that Lars "hasn't fit in with the club."

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

Germany

2nd Bundesliga

Hansa Rostock (Ryan Gyaki) 3 - 0 St Pauli (David Hoilett)

Hoilett starts and plays 45 mins, Gyaky didn't play.

Does anyone know why Hoilett never played for the U17 or the U20? I think he may be a big player for Canada in the future, he's only 18.

Bienvenue!

Good to see a third poster from Quebec City. Note that we have a seperate thread for Canucks in Germany but it's Ok to post those results here as well.

As for Hoilett, no one knows exactly why he hasn't shown up for Canada youth teams yet. Some CSA officials have been in touch with him and it is up to him to show up for camps and games.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Interesting. He is making $300,000 Cdn a year as 3rd string keeper.

I doubt many EPL third string keepers are making that kind of money.

Good luck to him finding a new club. I wonder where he'll end up. My wild guess is the Denmark Superliga.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Bienvenue!

Good to see a third poster from Quebec City. Note that we have a seperate thread for Canucks in Germany but it's Ok to post those results here as well.

As for Hoilett, no one knows exactly why he hasn't shown up for Canada youth teams yet. Some CSA officials have been in touch with him and it is up to him to show up for camps and games.

I'm surprised to know that I'm 3rd from Qc city :D. Thanks for the uptdate

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I doubt many EPL third string keepers are making that kind of money.

Good luck to him finding a new club. I wonder where he'll end up. My wild guess is the Denmark Superliga.

I'm sure any number of Norwegian clubs would be interested. Viking and Brann are both big clubs with keeper problems, and several others will be interested in upgrading their presence in goal this off-season.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

Germany

2nd Bundesliga

Hansa Rostock (Ryan Gyaki) 3 - 0 St Pauli (David Hoilett)

Hoilett starts and plays 45 mins, Gyaky didn't play.

Does anyone know why Hoilett never played for the U17 or the U20? I think he may be a big player for Canada in the future, he's only 18.

Well not sure about the U17's, but since he is only 18 he'd likely be just starting with the U20's now. Hopefully he comes to the next U20 camp.

England

Premiership

Newcastle (Edgar)1 v 2 Blackburn

Edgar off the bench on 82 mins

Championship

Barnsley (Hume)0 v 0 Norwich

Hume starts and plays 90 mins

Blackpool (D'Agostino) 1 v 1 Coventry

No D'Agostino

Ipswich (Peters)1 v 1 Crystal Palace

No Peters

League One

Milton Keynes Dons (Gerba)1 v 2 Peterborough

Gerba starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 63 mins

Gerba's first goal in his 2nd appearance for club

S****horpe 2 v 0 Yeovil (Begovic, Bircham, Wagenaar)

Begovic starts and plays 90 mins

Bircham stays on the bench

No Wagenaar

League Two

Gillingham (Jackson)1 v 0 Port Vale

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins

Macclesfield (Dunfield)1 v 4 Exeter

Dunfield starts and plays 90 mins

Conference Premier

Crawley Town (Rayner) 1 v 0 Kettering

1st playing 2nd today with Crawley leading the table by 3 pts over Kettering

Rayner starts and plays 90 mins

Scotland

Premier

Inverness CT (Hastings) 3 v 1 Kilmarnock

Hastings starts and plays 90 mins

1st Division

St Johnstone 2 v 0 Dundee (Pozniak)

Pozniak starts and plays 82 mins

Guest Jeffery S.

Video interview in English with Tyler Hemming on the Tampere United site after their 1-0 win over Inter, he plays the whole game.

See m. 3.07 for the interview, he appears on the highlights as well but hard to see well, no. 24. Seems he is their left back, you see him going forward on a corner at m. 0.35-47, then going to do the subsequent throw in.

http://www.tampereunited.com/fin/ottelut/otteluraportit?entry=988

In other Canucks Abroad Klukowski was suspended as Bruges beat Westerlo 2-0, stay in the hunt for the league lead in Belgium.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Video interview in English with Tyler Hemming on the Tampere United site after their 1-0 win over Inter, he plays the whole game.

See m. 3.07 for the interview, he appears on the highlights as well but hard to see well, no. 24. Seems he is their left back, you see him going forward on a corner at m. 0.35-47, then going to do the subsequent throw in.

http://www.tampereunited.com/fin/ottelut/otteluraportit?entry=988

Guess that pretty much makes it official that he's signed with the club.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Begovic started over Wagenaar... why? I thought it was going the other way around at Yeovil was Wagenaar injured or something? Nice to see Ali get on the scoresheet with the Dons.

no. Josh is the backup to Asmir

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Begovic started over Wagenaar... why? I thought it was going the other way around at Yeovil was Wagenaar injured or something? Nice to see Ali get on the scoresheet with the Dons.

No, Wagenaar is the back up. Apparently there's a deal with Portsmouth that if Asmir is fit to play he's starting. Yeovil fans were upset about this during the first games of the season with Asmir giving some bad performances. In the last games Asmir has done better and complains have stopped on Yeovil fans forum.

Wagenaar is playing the cups game though and might get more playing time soon since Asmir loan deal ends in November.

Quick Roberto Stillo update....he backstopped the Genoa U18's to a 2-0 win this weekend to kick off their season the right way.

He's also training all next week with the senior team (so he'll get to see what a Diego Milito blast looks like from up close). good experience for the lad...he seems to be really fitting in well at Genoa.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Anyone know if images of it are available???

Heres a few links with a pic or two of Gerba as well as some news of him.

http://www.mk-news.co.uk/mknews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=352773

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29092008/1/gerba-relishing-wilbraham-link.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/09/29/mk-dons-1-2-peterborough-posh-ruin-ali-s-big-moment-115875-20759597/

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/Green-inspires-first-away-win.4537330.jp (Gerba is refereed to as tubby in this one ??. Also on the second page of the article player ratings are given and Gerba is give a 5 out of 10, which ties him with one other guy for lowest on the field that day.)

Archived