Turf Troubles at Swangard

Richard

Seems university pointy ball played during a downpour last weekend and subsequent rain in Burnaby has caused grave damage to the pitch at Swangard ahead of their opening playoff game on Friday. All this after the Whitecaps invested so much money upgrading Swangard and relaying the turf for the U20 WC. All the more reason why the 'Caps need their own stadium.

Miserable sod spells turf times for ticked-off Thordarson - The Province

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Seems university pointy ball played during a downpour last weekend and subsequent rain in Burnaby has caused grave damage to the pitch at Swangard ahead of their opening playoff game on Friday. All this after the Whitecaps invested so much money upgrading Swangard and relaying the turf for the U20 WC. All the more reason why the 'Caps need their own stadium.

Miserable sod spells turf times for ticked-off Thordarson - The Province

Uggg. Darned pointy ball crap :(

Go play on astroturf somewhere else ya bunch of overpadded sissies! This is why a soccer specific stadium under the control of the soccer team's owner is so important. I do hope they get their waterfront stadium built.

Guys, the alternative stadium where the U-20 game against Scotland was moved to is in Town Centre Park in Coquitlam (Port Coquitlam is a different place). Facility is called Percy Perry Stadium, used to be Town Centre Stadium.

Click here for Google Map

Getting there by public transit may be a challenge. May need to take a taxi from the nearest Skytrain stop.

Bad news is that the weather forecast for Burnaby for Thursday is 90% POP, 25-35 mm of rain from Wednesday night to Thursday afternoon. Friday though is expected to be only partly cloudy. I doubt the game will be moved.

And if the Whitecaps were playing inside beautiful BC Place with the Retractable Roof we wouldn't be facing this nightmare, would we?

The sooner the Whitecaps get the hell out of that toilet bowl called Swangard the better off everyone will be.

I'll take artificial or Field Turf in a dry environment inside a Retractable Roof stadium than the nonsense garbage mudbowl we're all going to witness tommorow night.

It's not fair to the fans as that mud crapp will really affect the quality of the play and the quality of the game.

It will also put players at risk for serious injury.

That section has always been a problem at this time of year. That's where both football teams stand during the game. That's about 60 pairs of feet each weighing around 250 lbs wearing out the grass. They have had time to work on it so I'm sure it won't be as bad as originally feared. We've seen worse weather mixed with gridiron in the past and still been able to get the game off without too much trouble. The one time that they had to move a match was because of extreme circumstances.

^ Have to agree with you on that. SFU has spent millions upgrading Terry Fox Field and installing FieldTurf. The place is good enough for their soccer teams to play league games, why not their pointy ball team... unless there was a scheduling conflict but there are plenty of fields on SFU mountain now.

quote:Originally posted by chantingcraig

the swangard pitch has been garbage all year. I remember watching the highlights at the beginning of the year and seeing half of the field in brown patches

Yes, but it did improve in the summer. I'm guessing that the budget to maintain the field has been reduced in recent years. It's been great in the past. The national team used to love playing on that surface.

Archived