Toronto FC eyeing South American talent

Eric

HAHAHA how coveniant for Mo to go to Rio in December during the best new years parties in the country and the worst winter months here!! maaaaaan this guy has all the angles cover......... good for him ;) but he said he's going to take time to select the right prospects, so he might end up staying a little longer there......... let say February maybe? is that CARNAVAL season in Rio?

MoJo is such a jackass. As has been discussed on numerous occasions, transfer fees out of Brazil can be quite high. Correct me if I'm wrong, CO, but the State Championship will already be starting in late December/early January. So presumably the players he'll be seeing will be under contract for at least 6 months (ie. won't expire till the MLS season is in full swing). WTF couldn't he just pay somebody to scout the 3rd tier this spring? I would assume that those clubs who don't reach the rather prolonged promotion playoffs are quite keen to sell off players on the cheap come May/June. Seems to me his timing is exactly 180 degrees wrong.

The best way to think of the State tournaments is that they are entirely separate from the National tournaments even while performance in the State tournaments can lead to qualification to the lower National Championships (now Serie D).

Some of the lesser States have shorter competitions and may begin in December because it gives some of the players competing in them a chance to play elsewhere in January -April. The biggies like SP, Rio, Rio Grande do Sul, etc. start in January. The higher level National Championship (Series A & B) seasons end at the end of November/first week of December.

The time to go to Brazil if you are looking for talent would be now or next Month. Now would be the time to start talking to the representatives of players that will have their contracts end in December/January because those players that would be interesting signings will have resigned by December (and the cost would go up). Either that or do loan deals like Dallas FC does (but take the time to target smaller clubs instead).

It may also be interesting to go in November because some of the teams in Serie B that still have a realistic chance to promote and have money are now loading up with more players for the stretch run. You may be able to grab a few good players from the teams that fail to reach promotion (and also clubs relegating) because they will be looking to off-load some salary. Again, you would want to have identified and made them aware of your interest by the end of November.

Another time to go would be March prior to the big state competitions winding up. There is typically a lot of player movement at that time too.

The bottom line is that you really need to be well-connected and have identified players so that you can move when the time is right. Independent one-week junkets don't work that well.

You know someone wrote a post under Morgan Campbell's blog that reaks of the truth: Mo Johnston is down in South America looking at 18 and 19 year olds. He hasn't clued into the fact that we are not a big club, and he's basically window shoppoing or going to come up empty.

Posted by: Robert | September 19, 2008 at 01:02 PM

Looking to South America is the correct idea, first divisions there are very young because clubs want to showcase there players and sell them for millions to clubs in europe unfortunantly TFC is out of this market. Remaining However are many quality players not europe bound but have 2 to 5 years first team experience (aged betwwen 23-27), and not considered a possible export so they are put on the shelf. This group should be TFC's target. Unless these players are playing for a big club Boca, River, Corithians etc they would consider a move to MLS to cashin before they retire. These guys would be a perfect fit because they can cause an immediate impact due to there experience and age and at the same time be affordable to TFC. What doesnt fit is Mo Johnston and Carver at the front of our managment do they have the necesary conections and ties to bring these guys over and can they change their coaching style of play which will suit Southamerican playing skill and traits, not likely.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

First off, all the quality 17-20 year olds are more than likely under contract and will be expensive. Only under unusual situations do young players slip through these days. While it does happen, it is not as frequent as it once was and usually involves players coming from the interior.

And that my friend is why you dont go to Rio to find players or to Sao Paulo. You go looking up in the north.. FC Bacabal, Remo .. clubs who produce local players and who lack finanical resources, right now you can pick up any player in those regions for small dollar amounts.. If I am not mistaken about 50K canadian dollars would cover a lot of clubs debts .. such an investment could get you the pick of any players on the clubs.... most of whom are on very short term ( six month ) contracts.

Unfortunately, right now the international transfer window is closed so TFC could only sign players out of contract. But I know what you mean.

However, it depends how far down the food chain you want to go. I would place the Serie B ahead of MLS so most starters probably should ok if they make the transition. Then if you were going to look at Serie B place and go to one place I would still go to Sao Paulo because there are simply more players to choose from.

Bahia, by the way, is apparently two months behind on their payroll so some players will likely be available there just to reduce the salary budget.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

And that my friend is why you dont go to Rio to find players or to Sao Paulo. You go looking up in the north.. FC Bacabal, Remo .. clubs who produce local players and who lack finanical resources, right now you can pick up any player in those regions for small dollar amounts.. If I am not mistaken about 50K canadian dollars would cover a lot of clubs debts .. such an investment could get you the pick of any players on the clubs.... most of whom are on very short term ( six month ) contracts.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Mo Johnston is totally out of his depth. It is so depressing to thing that TFC/MLSE actually believe in this person.

I don't even understand how that's possible at this point, but i agree it's true.

It's like MLSE manages on auto-pilot until something goes critically wrong. It would be hard for him to do a worse job than he has over two seasons.

^ I'm convinced that the only way MLSE changes the TFC leadership is if the people stop buying the tickets, which won't happen.

I consider myself a supporter of the club and want it to succeed but I'm totally convinced it cant happen with Mo and JC running the team so, for now, i will just sit back visit my local witch doctor and see if she can cast some type of spell on those two dimwits that will cause them to tuck their tails between their legs and get the hell out of town.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Is John Carver really that bad a coach? I've always placed the blame squarely on Mo for TFC's shortcomings, but how does John add to the problems?

If I had the foresight to take detailed notes when i watch TFC play, I'd be able to recount a bunch of instances where, it is my opinion, JC's decision making cost the team critical points.

Off the top of my head, I think he's to blame for:

- not starting his best possible squad against KC at home (TFC drew that game)

- Not using his last sub against RSL at Salt Lake after Guevara tied the game around the 81st minute. TFC was clearly gassed and were going to have to struggle to hold on for a result. JC could have/should have used his last sub to help waste precious time, give his team a bit of a breather, etc.... Pulling a draw out of nothing would have been huge in that game because the team was badly outplayed and Guevara's goal was like a gift from heaven.

- I was livid with him about something in the dying minutes of the game against in Chicago were TFC gave up an injury time goal. I just don't remember what it was anymore (I don't have a memory like G-L....).

I've said it many times...there is a reason that JC never got a shot to be a full fledged manager in England. Considering all the people he worked for in his career, how could he not have gotten an entry level manager position somewhere and worked to build his resume? I'm convinced the man is a very good practice pitch trainer but I have serious doubts about his decision making and his demeanour. He's far too hot headed for this league. We are going to have bad refereeing. His behaviour is not helpful, in my opinion. Some people like that hot headedness but I prefer my managers to be more professional. How we could ejected yesterday, with the season hanging in the balance, disputing what was an obvious red card to almost anyone who watched it? what good did it do?

Here's the article on his scouting trip from the TFC site:

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080918&content_id=189007&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Johnston scouts Brazilian talent

Reds Director of Soccer returns from trip

Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston has returned from his scouting trip to Brazil. Johnston was looking at potential signings for 2009.

"I met with four or five different companies and watched two games. There is a lot of good young talent down there and I'm going to go back down in November or December," said Johnston.

Johnston watched Botafogo take on Internacional and Nautico against Vasco De Gama during his time in Brazil.

"I don't think it is wise to just see someone on one trip and make a decision that they are good enough for MLS. You need to take your time. I'm looking at younger players who are between 19 and 21. I went to look at four experienced players but I didn't think they were good enough for our team, but I saw younger talent that has a lot of potential for the future.

I have bolded the type that made me shake my head...

Here's the breakdown of the lineups for each game:

Botafogo-Internacional

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=241022&league=BRA.1&cc=5901

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafogo_de_Futebol_e_Regatas#Current_squad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Club_Internacional

No one on either Botafogo or Internacional who started was under 24 years of age. The only young sub was "Taison" Barcellos Freda who has 1 goal in 18 games this season:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=120209&cc=5901

Vasco-Nautico

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=241013&league=BRA.1&cc=5901

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_de_Regatas_Vasco_da_Gama

Alex Teixeira is an 18 year old attacking mid with 4 goals in 18 games.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=114031&cc=5901

Madson is 22 yr old MF, which is close. Eduz is 19 yr old D and Vilson is a 20 yr old D.

No one from Nautico appears to be young:

http://www.nautico-pe.com.br/futebol-masculino.php

If Mo's thinking about dealing with Vasco and Botafogo, he better hold onto his wallet.

First of all, any of the 19 year olds he saw play in the games that he saw (Botafogo and Vasco) will have transfer fees attached. At least those that would be worth pursuing. Also many of Botafogo and Vasco's best young players are not fully owned by the respective clubs but a by third party because both clubs have financial problems (but they may still take your money and challenge you to sue them). Typically, the better younger players would be signed to longer term contracts by that age. You have to go further into the interior to find talent at that age that some team hasn't got their hooks into.

If Mo wants to grab someone at that age, check the availability of Marcone at Bahia (he was brought into the Brazilian U-20 team last year to replace Lucas when he was injured). Bahia has financial problems. If TFC offered to take him on loan for say 2-3 years, you may get him for a small fee because I suspect Bahia would like to retain his rights.

Alex Teixeira has a price tag beyond TFC and under contract until 2013. Some see him as the next big one. The competition will likely be the big clubs from England, Italy and Spain on this player.

Taison also has a contract to December 2012. Transfer fee is more than likely going to be high

Madson is a possibility but I doubt his quality. Available in December. I don't know the others.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

If I had the foresight to take detailed notes when i watch TFC play, I'd be able to recount a bunch of instances where, it is my opinion, JC's decision making cost the team critical points.

Off the top of my head, I think he's to blame for:

- not starting his best possible squad against KC at home (TFC drew that game)

- Not using his last sub against RSL at Salt Lake after Guevara tied the game around the 81st minute. TFC was clearly gassed and were going to have to struggle to hold on for a result. JC could have/should have used his last sub to help waste precious time, give his team a bit of a breather, etc.... Pulling a draw out of nothing would have been huge in that game because the team was badly outplayed and Guevara's goal was like a gift from heaven.

- I was livid with him about something in the dying minutes of the game against in Chicago were TFC gave up an injury time goal. I just don't remember what it was anymore (I don't have a memory like G-L....).

I've said it many times...there is a reason that JC never got a shot to be a full fledged manager in England. Considering all the people he worked for in his career, how could he not have gotten an entry level manager position somewhere and worked to build his resume? I'm convinced the man is a very good practice pitch trainer but I have serious doubts about his decision making and his demeanour. He's far too hot headed for this league. We are going to have bad refereeing. His behaviour is not helpful, in my opinion. Some people like that hot headedness but I prefer my managers to be more professional. How we could ejected yesterday, with the season hanging in the balance, disputing what was an obvious red card to almost anyone who watched it? what good did it do?

The point you made with tying Kansas City was the turning point in the season. We beat Colorado with some subs because of international duty 3-1 the week before. WCQ happened on the 15 and 20th so we had international duties. Most guys some back for the 21st and he doesn't play them. We are playing like crap, can't get anything going and in the 70th he brings in Dichio, Brennan and Robinson all at once. Dichio scores in the 92nd minute to win the game, but the linesman called it offside for no reason. If we won that game we would have been 7-4-2 second in MLS. Since then we are 1-8-3 and lost the Voyageurs Cup. Everyone blamed him for the draw and we've been dying ever since.

He has to go just for that!

Archived