MLS bids to be submitted in 1 month

whitecapsfc

Who thinks that Montreal and Vancouver will get into the MLS the same year (may be lots of grumbling from the American fans)?

There's also rumours about 4 teams in 2011, which would be awesome considering there are 4 great markets (Vancouver, Montreal, St. Louis, Portland) and Van/Mon/Port could potentially use much of their USL players (from the 2010-2011 season) to prevent major dilution of the MLS player pool.

I know this topic has been discussed to death but only a month away from bid submission date.

I hope they only keep it to two clubs in 2011. If they expand too quickly , it could cause potential harm to the MLS by bringing in small market teams without adequate infrastructure, and if they absorb too many clubs from the USL too quickly the USL could come to the brink of collapsing (unless the USL can find new cities to bring in to the league).

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I hope they only keep it to two clubs in 2011. If they expand too quickly , it could cause potential harm to the MLS by bringing in small market teams without adequate infrastructure, and if they absorb too many clubs from the USL too quickly the USL could come to the brink of collapsing (unless the USL can find new cities to bring in to the league).

True. You are right about USL sustainability. If Vancouver and Portland join the MLS there won't be much of a USL presence in the west. But Austin is joining the USL in 2009. San Diego wants an MLS team, maybe they should consider joining USL first and would be a western team. I'm not sure if Alberta could sustain another USL franchise in the near future but if an ownership group came in it's an option, which would be another team in the west.

Archived