Coaching Set Up Moving Forwards

Sam

To be honest I don't know too much about how the CSA board works, but I think moving forwards we should look at it from a coaching stand point, because a CSA reform doesn't look like its in the cards. So here is how I want the coaching set-up to be. First off the set-up starts with U-20 World Cup qualifying at the start of 2009 and would last until 2014, so they coaches in charge have enough time to develop their players.

Technical Director : Stephen Hart

Hart should stay on as The Technical Director. I think he would be more dedicated than many, and he would be willing to travel with the team and step in when needed.

Director of Coaching & Player Development: Ray Clark

He is currently in the position, and I believe should stay in the position. For those who remember he coached the U-20 team during their friendly this year at BMO against Argentina.

Men's National Team

Head Coach: Jose Peckerman

I know this name has been thrown around the board the last few days. He showed an interest in the job when Mitchell was appointed, but the CSA said he "cost too much". He is very good at developing young talent his CV is better than any MNT team coach we've ever had (coached three Argentine U-20 teams to World Cup wins, and Argentina to a World Cup Quater-Final in 2006). He can work with young plyaers on the fringe like Jakovic, Edgar, Johnson, Peters, and Hainault.

Assistant Coach: Nick Dasovic

Dasovic knows the CSA. He knows Canadian players and he will provided the help needed for Peckerman to adapt. He will also be able to deal with the CSA and help get the players demands though to the board, fully allowing Peckerman to focus on coaching.

Men's U-23 Team

Head Coach: Nick Dasovic

Been there before done well with limited prep-time. He should be in charge of the team in 2012 on the road to qualifying for London.

Assistant Coach: Jose Peckerman

In order for Peckerman to see all the players and work with them he needs to be involved with every youth team.

Men's U-20 Team

Head Coach: Stephen Hart

Another man in the system who knows the players and is already part of the CSA, so the CSA can save their money for Peckerman.

See U-23

Men's U-17 Team

Head Coach: Ray Clark

Again someone who already works within the CSA, and knows the players.

See U-23

I think this should be the set-up we start to use this January with the U-20 world cup qualifying. Use the time from then until 2012 (including the 2009 and 2011 Gold Cups) to develop a new team ready to face the challenges of World Cup qualifying under Peckerman.

Now of course this is all unless we pull out three straight wins and a miracle run into the hex :)

WOW that's a huge variation of coaches to choose from out of the current canadian system!! other than Peckerman the rest are already there.

Why not bring new blood to the youth system? do you really think that Peckerman is going to work with inexperience canadian coaches? I don't think so, he's going to bring he's own staff and even if everything works well with the program there will be people at the CSA who will feel left out and they will boycott or sabotage Peckerman's work.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

WOW that's a huge variation of coaches to choose from out of the current canadian system!! other than Peckerman the rest are already there.

Why not bring new blood to the youth system? do you really think that Peckerman is going to work with inexperience canadian coaches? I don't think so, he's going to bring he's own staff and even if everything works well with the program there will be people at the CSA who will feel left out and they will boycott or sabotage Peckerman's work.

I'm looking at this from a CSA perspective as well. For example they'd never buy new coaches for each level. I understand Peckerman would bring his own staff, but they'd probably have two assistant coaches - one of Peckerman's and one of the CSA's (Dasovic). A bit like Capello with England he has his regular staff with England, but he also brought in Stuart Pearce, because he wanted an Englishman on board.

It's a good guide, but honestly, Jose Pekerman, not Peckerman, as many here mistype his name, will probably be better as a Technical Director than part of the coaching staff. Even if he weren't the TD, he would probably want to be the Head coach for all levels of the Canadian National Team and if he's forced too, well, he would take some Canadian pats as his assistant. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon. The man will become disillusioned after a short while, cuz he'll realize that the CSA is not like the AFA that will provide everything for him, more like he'll have to get his own funding privately or campaign on his own.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

It's a good guide, but honestly, Jose Pekerman, not Peckerman, as many here mistype his name, will probably be better as a Technical Director than part of the coaching staff. Even if he weren't the TD, he would probably want to be the Head coach for all levels of the Canadian National Team and if he's forced too, well, he would take some Canadian pats as his assistant. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon. The man will become disillusioned after a short while, cuz he'll realize that the CSA is not like the AFA that will provide everything for him, more like he'll have to get his own funding privately or campaign on his own.

He's a smart guy - I don't think he'd have any delusions about the CSA

If we ever got a coach as good as Pekerman to run the show we'd have to pile the pressure on the CSA to give him free reign to operate. Otherwise he's going to be burried in the usual CSA bull****.

I agree the coaching setup should consist of the new coach and some of his staff, with a mix of Canadians as well. That way they can learn from the system and work their way up through the ranks.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

You haven't even touched on the Women's side which is really the only vacant posting right now.

I would say Stephen Hart is the man of the moment.

I've posted my choice for women's coach in the respective forum (which by the way is Paul James). This is just how the men's infrastructure needs to change on a coaching level. I know the women's national program is struggling too, but I don't know enough about the coaches willing to work with the national team to make a post similar to this one pertaining to the women's side.

Archived