Ben Knight: World Cup reality check

Ben Knight

I see some f*ing nitwit is on about banning games in Montreal and Edmonton in response to that piece. Do people not realize that we would have had a bigger pro-Canada crowd in Edmonton in August if Edmonton had hosted that 1st match? Mid-week game, opening game of qualifying, lots of hope. But, no. Got to rag on Edmonton for not getting out a big crowd for the meaningless match coming up in October.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I see some f*ing nitwit is on about banning games in Montreal and Edmonton in response to that piece. Do people not realize that we would have had a bigger pro-Canada crowd in Edmonton in August if Edmonton had hosted that 1st match? Mid-week game, opening game of qualifying, lots of hope. But, no. Got to rag on Edmonton for not getting out a big crowd for the meaningless match coming up in October.

If we beat Honduras away, we're right back in the hunt. I hope Edmonton people take note of the result on October 11th because we'll need them on the 15th. If we're eliminated, then I won't take issue with crowd.

Well I think that Ben left out / missed one important thing:

The so called corporate opportunists are only interested in attaching their name to success. And by success, that means reaching the WC. But we have trouble making it out of the semi final round. And when we play at home at home, its in front of a majority of non canadian who wont / and cant buy the corporate sponsors product.

we are not good enough because the club structure to indentify, develop and produce the talent have only begun very very recently. Once we have talent, then we might start playing better. And when we start playing better; the results will come. and when the result come, we'll be in a better position to qualify for the WC. And when we qualify for the WC; then you will corporate opportunist and the money from the flowing in to the program. Did I even mention the CSA in that equation?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well I think that Ben left out / missed one important thing:

The so called corporate opportunists are only interested in attaching their name to success. And by success, that means reaching the WC. But we have trouble making it out of the semi final round. And when we play at home at home, its in front of a majority of non canadian who wont / and cant buy the corporate sponsors product.

we are not good enough because the club structure to indentify, develop and produce the talent have only begun very very recently. Once we have talent, then we might start playing better. And when we start playing better; the results will come. and when the result come, we'll be in a better position to qualify for the WC. And when we qualify for the WC; then you will corporate opportunist and the money from the flowing in to the program. Did I even mention the CSA in that equation?

I disagree just a bit. The "corporate opportunists" certainly do like success, but they also like a broad advertising reach. This, to me, is an easy sell in Canada. Soccer is the #1 participation sport in Canada. It is on TV more or less everyday. We have a professional team (that, by the way sucks and is well supported by the corporate community) with a great following.

The elements are there. Right there. All we need is a professional body to "make the sale", so to speak. That is basically how it happened in the USA (of course, they also hosted a World Cup and that helped). It wasn't that long ago that American soccer was the poor cousin in North America. But, the money started to roll in becuase the "corporate opportunists" saw an investment for the future. I would argue it has paid off for them. It was after this that the results came.

I only disagree a bit, because you are right about the need for proper player development - that is where the leadership comes back in to play. If you can't show your potential sponsors a robust development program you are asking to be disappointed. Again, this requires leadership from the top. But, again, it's not complicated.

In a follow up post to the article someone mentioned that Ossie Ardilles applied for the MNT coach at one point. Not sure if this is old news but I would rank him somewhere around Simoes quality and certianly more promising than Mitchell. Guess he found out there was no money to be had.

Archived