What terrible coverage of the Canada v. Mexico...

Moosehead

Gerry Dobson needs to be fired. Mixes up players and teams. When Canada scores doesn't no its goal has to ask whether it is a goal. Doesn't provide much insight. Sportsnet provides no interview of players afterwards or summation of the match. No wonder people can't gain interest in supporting the team.

I agree but how can the mainstream media provide analysis, roundups, and conduct interesting intervies when they don't know anything about the sport? They're probably terrified of having to say anything other than commentary.

FORREST: Ok, so let's try to trnaslate a pitch-side interview or something.

DOBSON: Shutup rookie, this is where we grab our briefcases and high tail it for the parkinglot before ayone sees us.

FORREST: But-

DOBSON: *dissapears down shute in studio floor*

I agree but how can the mainstream media provide analysis, roundups, and conduct interesting intervies when they don't know anything about the sport? They're probably terrified of having to say anything other than commentary.

FORREST: Ok, so let's try to trnaslate a pitch-side interview or something.

DOBSON: Shutup rookie, this is where we grab our briefcases and high tail it for the parkinglot before ayone sees us.

FORREST: But-

DOBSON: *dissapears down shute in studio floor*

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

Gerry Dobson needs to be fired. Mixes up players and teams. When Canada scores doesn't no its goal has to ask whether it is a goal. Doesn't provide much insight. Sportsnet provides no interview of players afterwards or summation of the match. No wonder people can't gain interest in supporting the team.

Give him a break, he was calling the game off of a monitor at Sportsnet studios. And they didn't have a crew in mexico to provide any interviews anyway.

It would be great if Canadian soccer was a big enough draw that the broadcaster could afford to send a crew down to cover the game, but it's not. Dobson and Forrest aren't great at calling a game, but anyone can miss things calling it from a monitor.

I thought the camera work and picture quality were excellent.

i think dobson is fine. and i think forrest is great, he can he negative at times but maybe it is because he was in the csa system and knows what it is like and is frustrated. plus he doeas games for TFC i like tfc but its sometimes hard to be positive so maybe he is tired of doing games where the team he is routing for loses haha.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

I like him as well but why can't he yell GOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL< CANADA, we need a Spanish commentator.

Maybe it is because he doesn't get too many opportunities to practice.

[?]

Ps. I like Dobson as well. I like his dedication to the game!!

I can live with Gerry's little errors. Soccer and other less popular sports will have to live with the generalist sports play-by-play man. I admire Gerry's ability to switch between sports as his job requires him to do.

I like Forrest's candour. If Canada is being outplayed or outcoached it needs to be said. I'm sure he is dying to see Canada play well so he can deliver praise as well.

Dobson's like the daft politician always putting his foot in his mouth, he doesn't know much about football, but I'd agree his heart is in the right place. Forrest isn't bad either, but he can be either overdiplomatic or gets angry with the Canadian performance. You could tell how frustrated he was with the formation against Honduras when he said, basically, that the campaign was over if they didn't take a point.

I'm not a snob, but something about a commentator that doesn't have an English accent just doesn't work for me.

camera work & pic quality was excellent because it was the Mexican feed - notice how they had the proper camera angles to show offsides and super slo mo to capture hand balls, fouls and other close calls.

As with the CSA, Canadian camera work & production standards for soccer matches are 3rd world quality.

Sportsnet also decided to skip showing the anthems. They had poker showing before the match in Ontario - should have had 30 mins match set up instead.

Honestly I found the commentary on the match atrocious. Not only because of the countless errors on Dobson's part, but the entire time it seemed like the commentators were trying to explain Canada's performence in a rediculously negative, and downright un-patriotic mannor. Saying things like Canada didn't expect to win, and that of course they would be defending heavily because they have to play for the pride of the country. Does Craig seriously believe that the team can't handle Mexico, that if we didn't play 8 back we would lose 8-0 or something?

My friends and I muted the match for the second half, I was so angry with the commentary, I couldn't listen to any more negativity while cheering for the boys.

I taped the Honduras game and rewatched it. Craig Forrest provided excellent analysis. He basically predicted the 2nd Honduran goal minutes before it came. I'm glad he calls it as he sees it and has high expectations of these professionals. I think he should take over as interim coach for the next 3 games!

I remember years ago , when my eldest son was 11, and we watched an English First Div. match--the commentator's partner, Ron Atkinson ( ex Man. Utd. and others, manager) , said about a particular player, "He is rubbish, he should be taken off right now "! My son was shocked, and then told me he thought that was a harsh comment, and not very nice.

I was not shocked , and disagreed , but realised my son had grown up in a Canadian culture, where they don't like the truth, don't like to offend people with REAL feelings and observations.

Why can't people speak honestly about this current motley crew of soccer wannabees on the Canadian team, I've been saying for years that the talent is NOT there, yet many hide behind their oh-so-naive-don't -rock-the boat words.

I am not going to digress too much longer, but I will state one observation on just one player , "Stalteri was rubbish "!!!

quote:Originally posted by Mackenzie

I like the Dobson/Forrest team. They really are the sound of the Canadian Men's team to me.

How weird is that?

By the way. I completely agree. They have by in large replaced Vic and Graham to my mind in that regard, no disrespect intended.

They both do tend to emotionally stampede one direction or another though don't they? I mean every match has it's ebb and flow. That's just the way it is, but a spell of possession by your opponent doesn't always mean you're being outplayed. It just means your opponent has more of the ball. Missing a half chance doesn't always mean you didn't take your opportunities. It just means at that time you missed a half chance It's subtle but do you see what I'm getting at?

But that's The Dobson's style. Peaks and valleys during the broadcast. Peaks and valleys. And he's certainly not alone in that practice.

Gerry and Craig definitely do have a rhythm though. Something that only comes with experience. Nigel & JDV, for example, are getting there but there is no doubt they're experiencing growing pains along the way.

Archived