What are our chances?

Derosario23

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Don't want to be negative. But Mexico will call a 20ish man squad. With probably 3 keepers. So even if they do play a weakened team it will still be a very strong team with lots of quality players and some starters. These second choice players will also have more to play for in Canada (a spot on the starting XI in later matches)than a full team would play.

Sorry - I'm trying to be positive too, just finding it very difficult.

I understand what you are saying - and obviously playing against an unmotivated 1st XI is better than playing against a very motivated second team. But if Mexico came into Canada with a spot not clinched for the next round, then we would have to play a motivated first XI. That is because they would obviously want to assure themselves a spot and would definitely not want to leave it up to the last game. So really, we are going to be playing a motivated second XI as opposed to a motivated first XI.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianinMexico

I understand what you are saying - and obviously playing against an unmotivated 1st XI is better than playing against a very motivated second team. But if Mexico came into Canada with a spot not clinched for the next round, then we would have to play a motivated first XI. That is because they would obviously want to assure themselves a spot and would definitely not want to leave it up to the last game. So really, we are going to be playing a motivated second XI as opposed to a motivated first XI.

Always finding a way to be optimistic - I like it :)

quote:Originally posted by FootieFool

Yes, the odds are quite slim that all those games will work out with those results. Canada could beat Mexico and Jamaica could beat Honduras on Gameday 5. :)

The point being - we still gotta believe. Until the math fails us, we are still in this.

We don't even need all six of those events to happen guys. A Honduras loss vs. Mexico and us would do it if we won all 3 games.

What is it about Canadian soccer fans that makes us hope for miracles? The fact that we made it to the big show once already? Hey they did it in the mid 80s so we should be able to do it again?

We have got 1 point out of 9 so far. We can get 9 more to bring us to 10 but Honduras can get 6 more and be at 12. We dig ourselves a real deep hole and then try to climb out.

We needed to win both games against Jamaica for 6 points and hope that the Boyz could tie or beat Honduras once. If we were sitting at 3 or 4 points now we could have a lot of ways to get there. Instead we need to win our 3 remaining and get help from the other teams.

I still hope but it doesn't look good.

:(

quote:Originally posted by hectorj

Also, if it comes down to the last day and we are still in it, Mexico will do anything to eliminate Honduras, as they will not want them in the Hex. They would put out a decent team.

Well, from the above scenario, where Canada losing in mexico was better than drawing, I thought that doesn't make any sense cause they'll field a B-team against BOTH Canada and Honduras, and we need them to beat Honduras, but maybe you're right, that mexico would try to take the opportunity to eliminate honduras themselves in the final match. I doubt it, I don't think Mexico really fears any team preventing them from advancing to 2010 and would rather not risk injury, but it's an interesting perspective that does make me feel a bit better, so thank you for that..

Better tell Mitchell to attack instead of sending the lone wolf all by his lonesome IE FRIEND ;)

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Hey I've seen Mexico play up here. They are a completely different team, (and so are we). Mark my words despite the squad they field - we will get a result in Edmonton. Either a tie or win. Write that into the scenario.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianinMexico

Hey I may be crazy, but is it possible that losing was better than tying in Mexico? I mean, obviously it would have been awesome to win (the best case scenario), but tying would have gave Mexico 7 points. They would go on to more than likely beat Jamaica and consequently have 10 points. They still wouldn't be secured a spot and would field their A team against Canada in Canada and Canada would most likely lose or at the very best get a tie. That would give Canada 1 or 2 points out of a possible 6 that they could have taken from Mexico.

Now, since Canada lost, Mexico has 9 points. Since Mexico will most likely win in Jamaica, they will have 12 points and be secured a spot in the next round meaning they will most likely field their "B" team against Canada in Canada. This gives Canada a legitimate shot at getting the 3 points, as opposed to the more than likely 1 or 2 points had it happened the other way.

I know this may sound a little bit crazy, and I'm just trying to be optimistic, but I think it makes a little bit of sense.

Same thing applies for Mex v Hon, however.

Can we go through? Yes. If we win out. Is that possible? Ask me 10 minutes into the next game. If we play like we are capable of, yes it is. If the players have given up....

I'm glad I read this thread; after yet another disappointing result I was too depressed to visit the forum. Like many of you I had high hopes of advancing to the next round. Although it is now unlikely, it isn't impossible... I agree with Keegan: "one game at a time."

Cheers,

Megju

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

If Canada concede the first eighty yards of real estate in Honduras the way they did in Mexico you are going to hear words that would make a sailor blush.

Agree. I'll lose my mind if they give even an ounce of respect to Honduras. We should play up two forwards and go after them.

With Lars in net we should be able to counter some attack on their behalf.

Archived