Mexico - Canada Pre/Dur/Post Match Thread

jpg75

quote:Originally posted by intrepid_

Any update on Jamaica-Honduras?

What would be better, a draw or a Jamaica win? Obv two points is better than three, but Honduras looks like the better team and they already have three points.

I'm thinking a Jamaica win would do us right.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Canada played sloppy, sloppy football. That's all there is to it.

It's hard to complain too much about being drawn with Mexico at the interval, and frankly that's a better 45 minutes than we put on in the second half against Honduras. Moreover, Hirschfeld has had a whale of a game. Still. If we keep playing like this, we will lose.

One goood sequence in the first half ending with JDG's shot, a few crosses into the middle and tons of long ball. Sigh. Well at least we are still tied. I am nervous because Mexico is starting to shot more from any angle. Giving 85% possession to a team that good is scary at best.

I pray for a lucky break and a goal for us. The team, the fans, everyone needs Canada to get some confidence. A win is the best way.

Honestly the most realistic chance we have is to play defensively and hope to get a quality counter and get a goal and win, worst case we get a tie as long as we can hold them. If the Mexicans get frustrated it could play right into our hands.

And then we have to go for wins in Honduras and Jamaica.

Bunker down, boys. I read somewhere that a majority of goals in a game are scored between the 50th and 60th minutes, after the half-time adjustments are made. Sven-Goran vs Dale. Uh-oh.

Canada defending well against the Mexican buildup - our weakness seems to be defending on the break (see Honduras game).

Did I see Stephen Hart giving the orders there, with Dale just watching beside him?

Canada adjusted well to the lack of progress up the middle by using the left flank.

DeGuzman needs to get his a$$ in gear. He's just jogging for the most part.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

I'm sorry, but I've got to say I'm finding it hard to be too disappointed with that half. Ugly football? Yes. But we're not going to make up all the points we've lost in one night in Mexico.

We're doing what we have to do and Lars is looking great. I'll gladly take another half of the same please. (And if we can poach a cheap one, all the better.)

Exactly. Any thought that we're willing/able to play aggressive and/or elegant soccer in Mexico is extremely wishful/deluded thinking.

Defend and hope for a counter attack.

Hutchinson is playing more like a 5th defender. I don't think he's touched the ball in the Mexican half. We have to get Brennan and Issey more into the game. Easier said than done but we're giving the ball away too easy. De Guzman needs more options going forward but we don't seem to be interested in attacking with more than 2 or 3 players and Mexico has more than enough defenders to couner that.

This is do-or-die time for Mitchell. Can he make the tactical adjustments to keep us in the game and give us a chance to win, or will we be torn apart in the second half the way we were against Honduras because he can't match the opposing coach's adjustments? C'mon Dale!

well friend is not playing well is not shielding the ball a la mark viduka , and he needs to descharge play to the midfields maybe occean could be more useful for this display, brennan is playing ok, issey is giving up to much balls, muy bien serioux (he could play in the argentinian 1st division , i hope someone is scouting him )

Goals are scored nearest re-starts but MORESO when legs tire, so at end of halves.

Even De Guzman looks like he doesn't want the ball. He MUST put his foot on it and play. Canada can take a point and be thrilled with it. I'd say a Jamaica/Hondy draw is preferred. Keeps things nice and tight and we'd be the only team take points off Mexico.

Are we hoping that they get bored and shoot at their own net for a change or is it some plan to simultaneously put their entire back line to sleep at which point we'll pounce.

Seriously, it's hard to have expected much more, but we do need some adjustments in the second half to take advantage as they get frustrated. Serioux has been great and having Lars back there gives me a better sense of security than the other keepers. That being said it is hard to see how we're going to get at least four points from these guys.

Archived