Mexico - Canada Pre/Dur/Post Match Thread

jpg75

I think everyone is getting this wrong in thinking Im making excuses for any one player or players

VPjr I cannot confirm any injury what I can confirm is that Julian played sub par in both of these games and it killed any chance we had in any of these two games....on the other hand lets say he played to the level he played in Deportivo's opener vs Madrid who is more then comparable to the Mexican team...would Canada stand a chance then???... no effin way!! The players are of no excuse in their on field performance....tactically though we have been the worst set up team in our group.... No one player should be questioning a Coach's tactics I definately agree with you there...you get on with it no matter what....but when the ship is sinking isnt it time to do something if the coach is standing Idle?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

The players are not blameless. Many did not have a good game. Issey was pretty useless last night. Brennan did little or nothing. Diesel has been bad for 3 games in a row. Hastings was brave but he can't make a decent forward pass to save his life...he looks like he wants to get rid of the ball as fast as possible. DeRo was listless...etc...etc... etc...

However, too many people on the boards look at atheletes like superheroes. These guys are human and are affected directly by the the things that frustrate us from afar. A person can take only so much frustration before it effects them and their ability to perform. The reality is that the players looked frustrated all night. The body language was not good.

Bingo! A malaise has set in with our men's program that is going to be difficult to overcome without some inspirational leadership both on and off the field. Obviously Dale is not the man on the sidelines but as well some of the players have to take a cold hard look at themselves as well.

This is not going be as easy as just hiring "insert foreign country" born coaching as has been said many times from top to bottom we need change and inspired change at that.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Bingo! A malaise has set in with our men's program that is going to be difficult to overcome without some inspirational leadership both on and off the field. Obviously Dale is not the man on the sidelines but as well some of the players have to take a cold hard look at themselves as well.

This is not going be as easy as just hiring "insert foreign country" born coaching as has been said many times from top to bottom we need change and inspired change at that.

Stalteri vs. Guardado was a perfect example of why our defenders just don't cut it. I do think that our midfield if used properly, is better than many other CONCACAF teams. Rob Friend is also CONCACAF class (once again if used correctly by playing balls with pace into the box), but our depth at the forward position is dire.

The match the way I saw it, Obvious from the go we're settling for a draw. Infact with the exception of Atiba, Julez, Dero, Friend, Klucko, Lars and Adrian most had conceded defeat with their attitude and energy guring the game. Stalteri and Hastings were horrible, both can't play a decent ball foward and lunge in time after time, I feel Paul has downgraded himself to a MLS calibre player in these last few years nothing about him strikes me a high calibre RB. I do see positives in the confidence Dero, Julez and Atiba displayed against World class opponents and coachs, we need these guys to play like champions in order for our program to grow. It's time to give Edgar and Hanault a shot at CB and even look for Peters to provide some energy on the wing. Our most talented and internationally celebrated squad and we get greated by coach who has no business coaching at a level higer then Rep.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

We truly did not look alive until Gerba got out there. I know I toot the Gerba horn quite a bit, but seriously, he produces even when on paper he probably shouldn't. 2 strikers has now become a necessity, as we can no longer just sit back and just lob the ball up to Friend hoping that he magically beats 3 defenders and puts it top corner. The Mexicans looked like they were shaken up and disorganized when we came alive after that free-kick goal. After that point they did not look like they were in 100% control of the game. We need to do this to both Jamaica and Honduras now, otherwise we might as well book our tickets to Gold Cup 2009...

Start both Friend and Gerba, or else start Friend and Occean, then sub Gerba on for one or the other, just a suggestion but please rip my head off.

Agreed, but Mitchell will never change. Look at the U-20's when it was clear to everyone that Lombardo was struggling as the single striker Mitchell insisted on forcing the issue.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Amen

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Second goal isn't only Paul's fault. First, let's put some blame on the keeper for not organizing his defense better, no one on the first post, Stalteri being badly position? Stateri is to close to the first post, he should be 2-3 meters closer to the corner kick to cut that kind of low ball(no one should be able to cut in front of him and have a quality header on target). You also have to question the player who let Marquez alone.

Yeah, Diesel was a bit too far across the box if he's going to guard from there AND when the ball was played in low and hard he didn't attack the cross with any sort of enthusiasm. Sure-fire way to surrender a goal at the short stick.

Ug. That was bad.

I'm watching the game once again right now and I get more and more frustrated. Frankly speaking, nobody with a logical sense of soccer would have expected us to beat Mexico in Mexico. What frustrates me is that we scored first against Jamaica and Honduras and weren't be able to keep the score. We lack vision and if there's somebody who could give it to the team, that's the coach. Do we have any? Oh, Jesus!

Archived