Mexico - Canada Pre/Dur/Post Match Thread

jpg75

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn Canada for losing..although not mathematically eliminated, it's safe to say they're out almost. 1 Home game and 2 road games left and the chances of getting 9 points is slim to none. Well, can't wait to see what excuse Mitchell and the CSA will come up with now. I'm hoping that when 2014 rolls around, we'll have 3 futbol academies in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver churning out more talented youngsters that can keep the ball possession and aren't afraid of attacking Mexico in Mexico.

Good:

Hirschfeld (If only we had him in from the beginning)

Klukowski (Our best defender, was unbeatable)

Hutchinson (Excellent on the ball, good on almost every touch)

Ok:

Serioux (Good defending, unfourtunate but mindless tackle for a yellow)

Hume (Thanks for the free kick, but why do you keep falling to the ground when you're not touched?)

Nakjima-Farran (Good touches but little involvement)

Gerba (Thank you for scoring again, but lots of bad touches)

Friend (I don't know how you could have done much more, as long as Mitchell is there you're just gonna waste away and maybe hit the occasional long ball header)

Hastings (A couple of sketchy clearances but all considered not too bad)

Occean (Needed more time, don't think you had one touch)

Brennan (Hardly noticable, reasonable filling for Bernier/Radzinski/Imhoff I guess)

Bad:

De Guzman (Horrible body language, gave up quickly from time to time, still our most skilled player, but doesn't seem to be there mentally)

De Rosario (Horrible body language, clumsy on the ball a couple of times, almost as if he doesn't want to be out there, keep your hands off the ball, you got away against Jamaica but not this time)

Stalteri (Slowwwwww, bad defending gave up goal #2)

It looks like Canada can't make it to the Hex. I say it has to do with the negative, worried thinking of Mitchel; the players are not getting good vibes either. When playing Brazil, our guys were moving as a team.

It starts with coaches that have faith and confidence..that can take average teams to higher levels. Canada did not get lucky breaks because there was not much positive thinking. Just look at the success of the current Russian coach. For some strange he ends up doing well with ordinary teams...like magic. Dale has the opposite problem and I honestly feel bad for him.

Anyways what is done is done.

I don't think we got a good effort out there from anyone except for Lars and Klukla.

I know it was warm out there but they looked tired after 5 min. We were capable of more but what was disappointing was the lack of heart. It doesn't matter what kind of quality we put on the field if that's the attitude isn't it?

Well, it's most probably over now. Are we going to be that much better against Honduras after what we saw tonight? Is Canada going to have the belief in themselves to get back in this thing?

I always look forward to the next game and think it will be different but it will have to be the players and coach that say screw it we're going for it. We know we're better than what we've shown and we're going to go out there and prove it.

Disappointed as well. DeGuzman was supposed to have been our star and he has let us down eversince Jamaica. Something is bothering him but he should put that aside in such a key game.

Forrest actually had some opinions for once, that alone made the whole Canada burning out worth watching.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Disappointed as well. DeGuzman was supposed to have been our star and he has let us down eversince Jamaica. Something is bothering him but he should put that aside in such a key game.

Forrest actually had some opinions for once, that alone made the whole Canada burning out worth watching.

De Guzman is an attacking player. When your manager's strategy is to hang back for ninety minutes and play every man behind the ball, it's hard to get forward effectively.

3-4-3, 4-3-3. Either way It was hard to keep track of Freind since he was never on TV unless Hastings punted the ball up the field. Almost forgot about him. The point is, we should of been playing 3 forwards minimum with Hutchinson and Guzman pushing forward the whole game. Who the hell other than Andorra plays with 9 guys behind the ball. Actually, our next freindyt should be against Andorra, it could be fun watching a 4-5-1 vs a 4-5-1....

Well, I just got back from watching the match and although we are not mathematically done, I'm afraid to say that psychologically, the players are shot (body language not good). As for the game itself, all I can say is that we were lucky to get away with only 2-1. The Mexicans looked really good...they played with a tempo more reminiscent of how Canadian teams played when we were a lot less skillful; but they have skill to boot. Maybe I'll feel better about things when I wake up in the morning but I'm really depressed right now. I had that slight glimmer of hope that we could sneak a point.

The only good thing to have come from the qualifying so far is this great group of supporters we have here. If only we could cheer about something...anything.

The strategy was ok, the execution was ok too, all the shots on goal were from long range or forced and under pressure.

The problem IMO is the lack of creativity and the inferiority complex, even when they had ball possession, they look uncomfortable with the ball in their feet. Is like they don't believe they can play attacking football, so they give it away and the responsibility is off their shoulders.

The lack of concentration in the defensive set plays was incredible, how can that be at that level!!! they were cough ball watching a few times.

It's clear to me that De Guz and De Ros don't want to play for Dale Mitchell and I believe they don't even want to play with some of the teammates they have. I saw their frustration when they were trying to build up something and the return pass was always wrong.....too far.....too short....... and I do understand their frustration.

I'll watch the tape on the weekend and reserve specific judgements until then, but one thing I do want to say which seems to be getting overlooked is that I thought the Mexicans were excellent tonight. They seemed a quicker team both offensively and defensively for much of the match: quicker decision-making in terms of running off the ball and passing the ball, as well as doing a good job of closing down our players when we had possession. But they were also patient when they needed to be and stuck to the task at hand with their buildup play.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

The only good thing to have come from the qualifying so far is this great group of supporters we have here. If only we could cheer about something...anything.

We all want a Canada win so badly. We want these games to mean something. I'd love a chance to go to Edmonton and join up with the Voyageurs one more time to witness a great win. We deserve so much better than what we have received thus far.

quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

It looks like Canada can't make it to the Hex. I say it has to do with the negative, worried thinking of Mitchel; the players are not getting good vibes either. When playing Brazil, our guys were moving as a team.

It starts with coaches that have faith and confidence..that can take average teams to higher levels. Canada did not get lucky breaks because there was not much positive thinking. Just look at the success of the current Russian coach. For some strange he ends up doing well with ordinary teams...like magic. Dale has the opposite problem and I honestly feel bad for him.

Anyways what is done is done.

Wow you sound like paul james!! :D

quote:Originally posted by Eric

The lack of concentration in the defensive set plays was incredible, how can that be at that level!!! they were cough ball watching a few times.

It's clear to me that De Guz and De Ros don't want to play for Dale Mitchell and I believe they don't even want to play with some of the teammates they have. I saw their frustration when they were trying to build up something and the return pass was always wrong.....too far.....too short....... and I do understand their frustration.

There was clearly a lack of leadership tonight. I'm not so sure that the players are not wanting to play for Dale or with other players but it is interesting to hear many here comment on the body language of both De Ro and De Guzman. These guys are pros and have been through this situation before and it is incredible that they were not capable of more. These guys all have wonderful club careers. They are stars in there leagues.It's not too much to ask that they show up for there country and play with pride and heart.

This really does suck. The team did put a effort forward so I wont bother ragging on our problems passing. Lets enjoy the next games we have coming up. It'll take more than getting knocked out of the wwq for me to stop supporting.

Winning the 2009 Gold Cup would sound pretty greating good right now, with a new coach.

Ohh ya, forest and hes little side kick have got to shut up sometime. Same with them during the Hond. games. I'd take Nigel and DeVos over them any CMNT game. Send over an email to sportsnet if u guys agree.

Archived