Mexico - Canada Pre/Dur/Post Match Thread

jpg75

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Very disappointing performance all round, from the head coach right down through every last player none of whom played up to their billings except for Hirschfeld who outdid himself tonight. Wonder what Mitchell's post game excuse will be this time!

He'll blame the players.

If Canada had not blown the two home games against Jamaica and Honduras, I'd be really proud right now. But we dug ourselves a hole and needed a miracle tonight. We didn't get the miracle.

That being said, if we win against Honduras in Tegucigalpa we can still make it through. The Jamaica match was called a must win. The Honduras match in Montreal was called a must win. This match was called a must win. But the real must win is the next one - against Honduras in Tegucigalpa. A draw will not cut it. We must win the next one.

quote:Originally posted by al

So Dale finally switches from 4-5-1 to a 4-3-3 and we start to have possession and pressure and actually look like we should be out there....I hate soccer, but I loved that REF!!! He is the MOTM

Yah but come on! was it really the extra fwds that resulted in the extra possession? the opposition had something to do with that, they were up by two goals.

The only way Canada has a chance to qualify is as follows:

Currently:

Mexico 9

Honduras 6

Canada 1

Jamaica 1

Next round of games:

We beat Honduras (this is a must), the other result doesnt matter between Jamaica/Mexico but lets just say Mexico beats them for this example.

Mexico 12

Honduras 6

Canada 4

Jamaica 1

Then we play Mexico at home in Edmonton, we must get a point which is more than possible as we have drawn Mexico I beleive our past 3 games at home with much weaker previous teams. Anyways, we get our point but the KEY is that Jamaica either draws or beats Honduras at home. Assumming Canada-Mexico draw and Jamaica wins.

Mexico 13

Honduras 6

Canada 5

Jamaica 4

Now we go into that final game where we have to draw Jamaica to tie honduras on points ASSUMING Mexico does us the favour and beats Honduras in their final game. Now if Honduras-Jamaica draw rather than Jamaica win, then we must beat Jamaica. Regardless, we will still be alive and kicking right to the final game and have a chance to advance where anything is likely. The key is beating Honduras in Honduras which is a MUST and if that doesnt happen then our chances are history.

quote:Originally posted by ecmoney

Currently:

Mexico 9

Honduras 6

Canada 1

Jamaica 1

Next round of games:

We beat Honduras (this is a must), the other result doesnt matter between Jamaica/Mexico but lets just say Mexico beats them for this example.

Mexico 12

Honduras 6

Canada 4

Jamaica 1

Then we play Mexico at home in Edmonton, we must get a point which is more than possible as we have drawn Mexico I beleive our past 3 games at home with much weaker previous teams. Anyways, we get our point but the KEY is that Jamaica either draws or beats Honduras at home. Assumming Canada-Mexico draw and Jamaica wins.

Mexico 13

Honduras 6

Canada 5

Jamaica 4

Now we go into that final game where we have to draw Jamaica to tie honduras on points ASSUMING Mexico does us the favour and beats Honduras in their final game. Now if Honduras-Jamaica draw rather than Jamaica win, then we must beat Jamaica. Regardless, we will still be alive and kicking right to the final game and have a chance to advance where anything is likely. The key is beating Honduras in Honduras which is a MUST and if that doesnt happen then our chances are history.

And we still need to have a better goal difference than Honduras...

A shame. The game plan was the right one to take and the effort was as much as we could ask for, but poor marking, particularly on that 2nd goal, let us down. If we don't go through it will be because of our defense. Although Stalteri got beaten on that header, I don't believe Marquez was his man to begin with, someone let him run him in all alone.

I had to turn Gerry & Craig off by the mid-second half, they were that annoying. Nice of them to have thrown in the towel before the game even started, that will help the viewing figures.

So much for the theory that Ali can't score against the big-teams.

On to Honduras. Now we truly get to the first must-win, which will put us two back. We'd still have to hope that Mexico beats them in Honduras in that final game, no matter what we do.

quote:Originally posted by ecmoney

Currently:

Mexico 9

Honduras 6

Canada 1

Jamaica 1

Next round of games:

Mexico 12

Honduras 6

Canada 4

Jamaica 1

Mexico 13

Honduras 6

Canada 5

Jamaica 4

And we still need to have a better goal difference than Honduras...

quote:Originally posted by al

So Dale finally switches from 4-5-1 to a 4-3-3 and we start to have possession and pressure and actually look like we should be out there....I hate soccer, but I loved that REF!!! He is the MOTM

That yellow card to Blanco at the end was brilliant! Indeed MOTM.

Where was our banner of goodbye Dale?

Let's face facts folks, it's over. With De Rosario and Serioux out next game, Canada is toast at this point. Might as well aim for 2014 now. And this time dammit, they (the CSA or whoever replaces them) had better do their homework and prepare, prepare, PREPARE. Wishful thinking will not cut it. It never did.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Well, he does play for Spurs.

/call it the 'Rebrov effect'

No he is on loan somewhere else cause even the Spurs don't want him.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Was it Stalteri that was supposed to be on the near post for that second goal tonight. Wasn't it Stalteri that was on the near post when Onstad made that error to fill the position vacated by Stalteri.

Do we have anybody to replace Stalteri?

Archived