Canadian Line up, according to span espn

Javier

So Hastings out for McKenna. Kluka moves over for Serioux. Brennan in for Kluka. Friend starting over Gerba. Occean alongside Friend instead of Hume.

Serioux in as the destroyer? Could be it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this alignment sort of suggests that Hutch Serioux and DeGuz will ALL essentially destroy, leaving DeRo, Occean and Friend to attack. Hard to see how we will get much overlap on the wings with this alignment, but who knows.

Must admit I am curious to see how such a line-up will work. It has some promise. Serioux will break somebody's leg tonight--my only prediction.

Anything can happen. The best team only wins most of the time. The Mexicans will be completely overconfident, and I've seen some latin teams stink the joint in cold weather. Couple of breaks and next thing you know they're uptight and trying to do it all solo and we're more than capable of holding them.

Occéan played a lot on the wing in a 4-3-3 in Lillestrøm - although he would also come into the box a lot. This would happen when the past coach decided he wanted a big strong guy (kinda like Friend) in the middle. It worked really well for them last season. Could work for Canada v. Mexico as well...

Good luck - keeping my fingers crossed for a Canada win!

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

We need to play two up front. Mitchell drives me crazy, he's like Trappatoni, afraid to attack.

Couldn't agree with you more....although I would understand it a bit more if Mitchell utilized one striker on the road in Mexico.

But at home the past two games, there is no reason why are team cannot play with two strikers and promote attacking play with their formation.

Not that this needs to be pointed out, but this is a very tall team. Mckenna, Occean and Friend are monsters, Serioux can get up, and so can Hutch and a few others. Free kicks and corners, should we get any, will be crucial. I would not want Friend and Occean bearing down on me if I was a defender. It will not be fun for the Mexican back four tonight.

Im glad to see Mitchell making some changes at CB. The defence was ball watching on both of the Honduran goals. The Honduran who scored the winner was wide open at the center top of the box. Plus using McKenna will instantly boost our chances on corners and free kicks.

I see this formation as more of a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 with the midfield set out as diamond. However anything is better than that damn 4-5-1.

We have a team of offencivly prone players, lets start playing our tactics that way!

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Jim Brennan should not play.

I'm still scratching my head as to why he came on as an offensive sub vs. Honduras.

I agree completely...he was a little faster and had more attacking flair in his youth but should be used only as defensive cover in this cycle. I mean, he's not even having that great of a season at TFC, and that should tell you something.

The Brennan sub vs Honduras was ludicrous, as most of Mitchell's contributions were that evening.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Im glad to see Mitchell making some changes at CB. The defence was ball watching on both of the Honduran goals. The Honduran who scored the winner was wide open at the center top of the box. Plus using McKenna will instantly boost our chances on corners and free kicks.

Coming late to the edge of the penalty, off of a swift counterattack: where was the midfield cover for Nunez? Still behind him when he scored. Can't blame that on the three members of the back four who were involved in defending the play (with Klukowski still stranded in upfield).

Bringing McKenna in for Hastings is a worthwhile move.

quote:Originally posted by mcaout

I like the shape and personel changes in this reported line up... although it looks fairly narrow. I'm not sure I believe it though, so many changes.

I agree, it doesn't look like it provides width, but it may be what we see in a few hours. In an interview they said that they actually scouted the Mexicans, which would explain the extensive line up changes. Personally, If this is true, I think it would indicate that Mitchell is at least TRYING to do something different--instead of hoping that results magically materialize. Still would perfer DeRo on the wing though...

Archived