Concacaf, so much frustration

Bxl Boy

No, I won't complain about the refs, even if they are the worse of the whole world (we know it, let's consider it as a fact).

I complain about the fact of how following a national team in Concacaf is frustrating, almost... the Canadian one.

Cheering for a sports team dures all the year long, and from year to year. It's totally impossible for the average fan (not die hard as us) with the CNT.

All continents have two major tournaments (World Cup and Continental cup). We too. But Canada is already qualified for the Gold Cup, so no official qualification games for us, only the tournament. Three weeks on the two years

The gold cup qualification processus is horrible. The second round doesn't take our harts, it's a game against a minnow. The third one (we're playing actually) is short and cruel. We can be out after 3 games... in 3 weeks. So, again, 3 weeks of hopes and that's all.

How can the average soccer fan be attached to the national teams that, all by all, plays important games 3 times 3 weeks all the 4 years ? That's virtually impossible. And that's why I'm frustrated.

Each country, in Europe or in Africa, has qualifying tournament that lasts almost two years and another one two years after, in the same condition. The one with the same relative level as us (I mean a subtop one, that Norway, Ireland or Switzerland for example) can in the worst case believe almost during one year, with matches almost every month, for a qualification. In the best case, they hope from the first to the last game.

That's not a problem for the hex regulars (USA, Mexico,...) but is a huge one for countries at our level. And more for Canada, who is the only one of them that doesn't play GC qualification. And almost, in the contrary of Honduras, Jamaica, and so forth, has to build its soccer culture.

When I see the Voyageurs in that portrait, I can only congratulate everyone. Because cheering for Canada is not only frustrating because of the performances of the team, but also because of the Concacaf context that doesn't help us at all.

These are the double hex groups you get if you use those May 2007 rankings.

Group A: Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Cuba, Haiti, Suriname

Group B: USA, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, Guatemala, Canada

That...might be worse than what we have now.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

Did you "snake" the rankings? ie 1-4-5-8-9-12 and 2-3-6-7-10-11?

quote:Originally posted by theaub

But at least we'd have more than 6 matches guaranteed. We'd have at least 10 and 5 home games.

Archived