Canada vs Honduras - some video history

FootieFool

This video montage was put together by some Spanish network, showing all significant meetings between Canada & Honduras since The Hex in 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DdG1AYNQ8

I don't speak Spanish and the video quality is brutal, but thought this video was interesting none the less, to give some historical context on the rivalry that exists between the 2 teams.

And it was nice to see deVos in action again.

Of course, that montage didn't show this moment from 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQlMjIFZtfE&NR=1

The backpass was brutal, but the dive in the box deserved a 9.9 from the Russian judge for artistic embellishment.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

just 4

To go with our 1 point at home [:I]

So the last time we lost to Honduras in WCQ was 1981! We beat them home and away in '86 and then tied on the road and won at home in '94 before drawing both times in '06. That's a 3-0-3 record.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

To go with our 1 point at home [:I]

So the last time we lost to Honduras in WCQ was 1981! We beat them home and away in '86 and then tied on the road and won at home in '94 before drawing both times in '06. That's a 3-0-3 record.

Yep. According to FIFA site we're 3-1-3 in 7 games in WCQ vs Honduras (5-6-3 all time)

Edition Venue Date Match Stage

2006 San Pedro Sula 09/10/2004 HON 1:1 (0:0) CAN Second stage

2006 Edmonton 04/09/2004 CAN 1:1 (0:0) HON Second stage

1994 Burnaby 18/04/1993 CAN 3:1 (0:1) HON Final stage

1994 Tegucigalpa 04/04/1993 HON 2:2 (1:1) CAN Final stage

1986 Saint John's 14/09/1985 CAN 2:1 (1:0) HON Third stage

1986 Tegucigalpa 25/08/1985 HON 0:1 (0:0) CAN Third stage

1982 Tegucigalpa 12/11/1981 HON 2:1 (2:1) CAN Final round

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/statisticsandrecords/headtohead/team1=CAN/team2=HON/index.html

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I defintely feel 3 goals coming on for us.

Just my guts here, but the closer this match gets and the more I hear the boys talk, the more I think they feel like they have something to prove and are getting set to blow the lid off the house tomorrow night.

Or it could just be that week old chili I had for lunch talking.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I defintely feel 3 goals coming on for us.

Just my guts here, but the closer this match gets and the more I hear the boys talk, the more I think they feel like they have something to prove and are getting set to blow the lid off the house tomorrow night.

Or it could just be that week old chili I had for lunch talking.

quote:Originally posted by FootieFool

This video montage was put together by some Spanish network, showing all significant meetings between Canada & Honduras since The Hex in 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DdG1AYNQ8

I don't speak Spanish and the video quality is brutal, but thought this video was interesting none the less, to give some historical context on the rivalry that exists between the 2 teams.

Thanks for this - I had never seen the highlights of that 1981 game that we lost 2-1 (in the final qualifying round, where all matches were played in Honduras). I had heard that the winning goal by Honduras in this game was offside but had never seen it so didn't include it in that score.ca podcast I did of the worst calls to screw us. Looking at it now, it does indeed look offside - blatantly so on the replay!

Brutal mistake by Bridge & Lettieri (at least I think it is he) on the first Honduras goal but excellent equalizer by Bridge to make up for it.

They also don't show a couple of really bad calls that led to Honduran penalties in that 1993 game in Honduras. As for the 1991 Gold Cup game, my recollection was that Forest got sent off bringing down a player in the box, which was a legit. call, and is the PK that you can see the Hondurans opening the scoring with I think about 5 or 6 minutes into the game. It helps to explain why we lost 4-2.

On a more positive note, great to see that George Pakos goal that gave us the 1-0 win in Honduras in 1985. I haven't seen that goal in 23 years!

Archived