Honduran Support

Grizzly

Was at Stade Saputo to pick up some tickets. The ticket seller told me a lot of Hondurans had bought tickets. He said up to 50% of the stadium could be Honduran. Afterwards I talked to the director of ticket sales and he thought that number was too high but still said there would be a lot of Hondurans. The Honduran section was sold out quickly and apparently not to Hondurans from the US but Hondurans actually living in Honduras. They have bought many tickets in other sections (hopefully not ours). Additionally, while one can buy tickets to the game from the Impact, they are not in charge of ticket sales for the game so I guess we can blame the problems we have had on Admission. I am also not sure if the Impact employees I talked to know what percentage of sales from Admission have gone to Hondurans or are only referring to the tickets they have sold themselves.

Thanks for the info.

I guess at this point all we can do is organise our section as best as possible and try bring a more passionate presence than the Honduran supporters.

For next time:

Perhaps those who have been orchestrating the ticket purchasing/distribution can relay this info to the CSA. They need to understand we can only do so much when the ticket broker Ticketmaster/Admission are misleading us with information and facilitating Honduran sales.

We also need the CSA on our side in enforcing basic security procedures. Only away colours/support are allowed in designated away fans sections. This is a standard and important security procedure which can be implemented to our benefit in trying to limit away support.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Was at Stade Saputo to pick up some tickets. The ticket seller told me a lot of Hondurans had bought tickets. He said up to 50% of the stadium could be Honduran. Afterwards I talked to the director of ticket sales and he thought that number was too high but still said there would be a lot of Hondurans. The Honduran section was sold out quickly and apparently not to Hondurans from the US but Hondurans actually living in Honduras. They have bought many tickets in other sections (hopefully not ours). Additionally, while one can buy tickets to the game from the Impact, they are not in charge of ticket sales for the game so I guess we can blame the problems we have had on Admission. I am also not sure if the Impact employees I talked to know what percentage of sales from Admission have gone to Hondurans or are only referring to the tickets they have sold themselves.

I wouldn't worry to much about that. For the Can Vs Jam game. When I was purchasing the tickets through the ticketmaster agent, they said the Jamicians were buying alot of tickets. The agent estimated 50% also. But they were wrong in the end..

And if they are right, The Canadians we'll be organized and louder then the Hondurassses anyways!!!

quote:Originally posted by SportingFC

I wouldn't worry to much about that. For the Can Vs Jam game. When I was purchasing the tickets through the ticketmaster agent, they said the Jamicians were buying alot of tickets. The agent estimated 50% also. But they were wrong in the end..

And if they are right, The Canadians we'll be organized and louder then the Hondurassses anyways!!!

It depends who you're talking about. The Voyageurs, Montreal supporters, traveling Toronto support, etc will be better organized and louder but that doesn't account for all of the Canadian support in the stadium. From my previous visits to Saputo it seems that the average soccer family fan in the seats there is not particularly loud. So while we may be the loudest in the house the rest of the Canadian fans (as opposed to supporters) may be the sort who can get shouted down by the average Honduran grandmother. That's how it felt at the St. VaG game and that night the away support numbered in the hundreds and not the thousands.

S.

quote:loudest in the house the rest of the Canadian fans (as opposed to supporters) may be the sort who can get shouted down by the average Honduran grandmother

this is the difference between having TFC with its hard core supporters culture vs the soccer mom culture dominating in Montreal and it appears with the Whitecaps mgmt and Edmonton (when Canada plays).

well they should never have sold those tickets to honduran supporters. the CSA need to wake up on this level. time and time again we say these things, and they do the bare minimum to create a soccer culture and home field advantage. its not enough!

in any other country in the world. there is a section for sale that is designated for away support. sorry once that section is sold out it is done!

you must have to declare your support, home or away when buying tickets, and will not be let into the stadium unless you are in the right section.

its very simple. people would cry discrimination blah blah. its not. its sports! we need the presence of a strong home field advantage.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Makes me wish there was no TFC game on saturday. It could have been a convoy similar to the season opener in Columbus heading down the 401 and ensuring the Hondurans were 110% drowned out.

I believe we've got more than a hundred people heading from Toronto to Montreal for Saturday but I have no doubt that without the scheduling conflict we could be seeing ten times as many going.

S.

quote:Originally posted by Soldeed

I believe we've got more than a hundred people heading from Toronto to Montreal for Saturday but I have no doubt that without the scheduling conflict we could be seeing ten times as many going.

S.

Scheduling conflict? Its the week end!!!!

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Yes, and there's a TFC game at 4pm on Saturday afternoon in Toronto. So instead of 2000 fans coming up the M-C/401 there's only a few hundred.

ok...so i understand that the majority of the fans prefer to watch a regular TFC match then a WCQ match of our national team...is that right?

quote:Originally posted by Olgier

ok...so i understand that the majority of the fans prefer to watch a regular TFC match then a WCQ match of our national team...is that right?

Yes and the same would be true for Montreal or Vancouver. Of course one is a local game that 20 000 people had already bought tickets for and the other is a game in a city more than 500km away.

Before this becomes a pissing match I would point out that despite TFC related conflicts for both WCQ matches in Montreal a large number of dedicated Canada fans from Toronto have or will be making the trip. We have nothing to be ashamed of (except the CSA, MLS and CONCACAF).

S.

Yes and the same would be true for Montreal or Vancouver. Of course one is a local game that 20 000 people had already bought tickets for and the other is a game in a city more than 500km away.

Before you make this a pissing match I would point out that despite TFC related conflicts for both WCQ matches in Montreal a large number of dedicated Canada fans from Toronto have or will be making the trip. We have nothing to be ashamed of (except the CSA, MLS and CONCACAF).

S.

im not ashamed...im just pissed that the MLS and USL are doing nothing about this scedule conflict. Secondly, im an Impact fan. And ill have to say that the WCQ game of our national team comes first.

But it looks like im a part of the minority.

^ Well, I think the majority of supporters on this board agree with your priorities vis-a-vis league matches vs. World Cup qualifiers. The MLS schedule is what it is, unfortunately, but the show must go on and we have a job to do this Saturday.

Moving back to the original topic, Winnipeg Fury deserves a lot of credit for organising our supporters sections for this game. Had the CSA opened up section 114 for general ticket sales earlier, our section might have been half filled with blue jerseys.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

I have this really bad feeling that this game will have a laughably inadequate security presence and that things, somewhere in the stands, will turn ugly.

Security will be beefed up for this game and there will most likely be police (there were police for the Esteli game, first time I have seen them in the stadium). Still there is a lot of potential for problems at this game.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

I have this really bad feeling that this game will have a laughably inadequate security presence and that things, somewhere in the stands, will turn ugly.

The conveniently fist-sized rocks filling the area under the stands make me feel especially safe.

The question is whether the police/security will do something to prevent problems or just wait until they happen and then lay in. Most potential problems can be avoided with good planning.

S.

These are not two words I would associate with anyone involved in the lead-up to this match.*

*except us, of course.

I put country over club and so do 90% of TFC fans on the net. Look at the RPB forum. Everyone even there (RPB is the least supportive of the NT by TFC support groups) is saying Canada over TFC. I think if most had the choice they would be in Montreal not Toronto Saturday. But Season tickets.... plus money is a problem.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I saw a number of jerseys ..been worn today at the airport..going out to Miami then later to New York....picked up national team replica at the bank plus some trinkets.. for 395 limperias.. $20 Canadian at 20 to one ..

Archived