Canada slips to 81st in newest FIFA rankings

jpg75

Meh, meaningless really, but it's still news:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/09/03/fifa-rankings.html

European champion Spain held on to the top spot in the FIFA world rankings released Wednesday by soccer's international governing body.

The news wasn't so good for Canada, which dropped two spots to No. 81...

...Mexico is the top team from CONCACAF, the soccer confederation that covers North and Central America and the Caribbean, at No. 24.

Canada ranks sixth among CONCACAF nations behind Mexico, the United States (No. 28), Honduras (No. 60), Costa Rica (No. 73) and Trinidad and Tobago (No. 80).

The next FIFA ranking will be published on Oct. 8.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

1 Spain 1565 0

2 Italy 1339 +1

3 Germany 1329 -1

4 Netherlands 1295 0

5 Croatia 1266 0

6 Brazil 1252 0

7 Argentina 1230 0

8 Czech Republic 1134 0

9 Portugal 1120 0

10 Turkey 1033 +3

11 France 1019 +1

12 Russia 1013 -2

13 Romania 1007 -2

14 Cameroon 999 1

15 England 991 -1

24 Mexico 807 +8

28 USA 788 +3

60 Honduras 502 +1

73 Costa Rica 438 +5

80 Trinidad & Tobago 414 +12

81 Canada 412 -2

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

CONCACAF rankings

24 1 Mexico

28 2 USA

60 3 Honduras

73 4 Costa Rica

80 5 Trinidad and Tobago

81 6 Canada

84 7 Suriname

92 8 Cuba

96 9 Panama

99 10 Guatemala

Jamaica is not in the top 100?

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

The fact that we're ranked below a country that struggled to overcome Bermuda shows how valid these rankings really are.

Or, the fact that our only victorys since Dale Mitchell took over was against SVG. All of a sudden, the cupboard looks pretty bare in terms of decent results, and one starts to think that we belong in the eighties.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

Here's the alternate ELO rankings if anyone is interested

10 Mexico

17 United States

43 Honduras

50 Costa Rica

51 Canada

69 Jamaica

74 Trinidad & Tobago

80 Guatemala

89 Haiti

93 Cuba

105 El Salvador

130 Suriname

Canada being 4th instead of 6th

This seems to be a bit more accurate. I have a hard time believing Honduras is ranked ahead of Costa Rica, Trinidad is ranked ahead of Canada, and Suriname ahead of Jamaica

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Who.Cares.

Why do people even care about these? These mean nothing in terms of how good a team actually is or the players they possess.

Supporting England (due to my father being born in Coventry) and Canada (my place of birth), I have become accustomed to bogus rankings for both my countries and I just ignore it.

Honestly, can anyone actually justify that Turkey, Romania, Croatia, even Cameroon are better than England? On paper, no, performance wise as of late yes. But I mean 1 on 1, England has only played Croatia out of the 5 countries.

Come on now... I guarantee you that England will not finish 2nd to Croatia this time around..

Bogus Rankings.. Canada t 81.. lol give me a break

STOP SAYING THAT THIS IS MEANINGLESS!!!!

F-uck! The exact opposite is true. It is because of these World Rankings that we are in the Group of Death for Qualifying. We were ranked 11th out of all the Concacaf countries in the rankings that were used to determine the groups. That is why we are in this predicament. Even though these rankings are flawed, we still have to play by the rules and make sure that we are consistently among the top in CONCACAF so we don't get screwed again.

quote:Originally posted by masster

STOP SAYING THAT THIS IS MEANINGLESS!!!!

F-uck! The exact opposite is true. It is because of these World Rankings that we are in the Group of Death for Qualifying. We were ranked 11th out of all the Concacaf countries in the rankings that were used to determine the groups. That is why we are in this predicament. Even though these rankings are flawed, we still have to play by the rules and make sure that we are consistently among the top in CONCACAF so we don't get screwed again.

Jack Warner ladies and gents. T and T was highest ranked in May of 2007. We just need to make sure that we are ahead of TRINIDAD in the years leading up to WCQ next time lol

Masster is totally correct. They also determine whether some of our players can get work permits in the UK. And to tmac above, why would anyone outside the UK rate England higher than the clubs you listed. I mean I seem to recall seeing Turkey, Romania and Croatia PLAYING last June while all the UK players were holding their WAG's purses on holiday.

You have to beat teams ranked higher than your team to move up the ladder.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

OK, I have to weigh in on this one. I seem to recall that CONCACAF used rankings that were six months old to seed the WCQ groups. I also seem to recall that they were the only confederation to do this. I have yet to hear an explanation. At the time of the draw weren't we ranked a fair bit higher in CONCACAF?

So far as our tough group goes, Mexico and U.S.A. are so strong that it would be an immense upset if either of them did not qualify. So, to get the third place at the WC we must defeat both Hondurass and Jamaica, so we might as well do it now. If we can't, then we weren't going anyway. The downside is that if we lose out at this stage we will lose the benefit of playing ten matches in the final six, which is a big loss.

The FIFA rankings are amusing and are meaningless in terms of comparing the relative merits of the ranked teams.

Nov 2007 Concacaf Rankings

--------------------------

15 1 Mexico 985

19 2 USA 876

54 3 Honduras 578

55 4 Canada 576

66 5 Panama 487

66 6 Haiti 487

69 7 Costa Rica 466

70 8 Cuba 453

77 9 St. Vincent and the Grenadines 414

83 10 Trinidad and Tobago 403

May 2007 Concacaf Rankings

--------------------------

20 1 Mexico 891

29 2 USA 785

52 3 Costa Rica 575

55 4 Honduras 542

60 5 Panama 514

67 6 Trinidad and Tobago 463

69 7 Jamaica 457

71 8 Cuba 442

85 9 Haiti 372

87 10 Guatemala 363

Maybe I'm taking the easy way out, but I think that's your explanation right there. It's not a good one. The old Jack Warner special. I wish we had somebody in the CSA with as much passion/pull as him.

Archived