Hemming asks for release from Toronto FC

red card

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

He has.....but we'll have to see if he had good reason to do so. He went on a number of trials in Europe the last time he & TFC parted ways, if one of them came calling with a far more lucrative contract than a $17,900 one, it would be tough to blame him for jumping at the opportunity. If it's for some other less understandable reason, I'll be disappointed.

I totally understand his wanting to leave. If the right opportunity arose, many of the players on the team would be out the door.

Obviously, it's the timing that's the big issue.

Sure, his salary was a joke but he couldn't get any salary anywhere else when he came back from his failed trials. At least he had a place to train.

He came to TFC for this opportunity .... and then when we really need him, he's on his bike!

Of course I understand his motivations but the optics are crap.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

I really feel that by the time Johnston went to the media and started talking about grass he sealed his own fate.

Garth Wheeler's recent article in the Toronto Sun is definitely hard to ignore:-

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/08/25/6562386-sun.html

But the timing of Mo's outcry makes it seem like he's trying to cover his own back. The turf has been an issue since Day 1, nothing has changed. But the pressure on Johnston has mounted.

Blaming the lack of players coming through the door at BMO on the turf takes the pressure off him in the short-term. But the fact remains, Mo hasn't brought in a marquee player to take this team to the next level.

The upper brass at MLSEL can't be happy about Johnston's emphatic statements. Sources say a move towards getting grass into BMO already was in the works, but it realistically won't be in place for years to come.

That's what happens when you have governmental commitments and responsibilities in place.

It would have been better for the organization if Mo had kept his mouth shut and let the process play out.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I totally understand his wanting to leave. If the right opportunity arose, many of the players on the team would be out the door.

Obviously, it's the timing that's the big issue.

Sure, his salary was a joke but he couldn't get any salary anywhere else when he came back from his failed trials. At least he had a place to train.

He came to TFC for this opportunity .... and then when we really need him, he's on his bike!

Of course I understand his motivations but the optics are crap.

Down here amongst the ranks of the disgruntled working masses I'd say his timing is perfect. Just hope this move isn't simply out of spite. (If it was, well glad you grew some balls on your way out the door but geez.)

I think it's perfectly clear that on this team developing players into footballers or growing a "role playing" footballer into the squad is never ever going to happen. Management is approaching things differently. Hemming hadn't a chance.

And that's the reality and if it wasn't clear before it has to be painfully clear now. If guys like Hemming felt they'd been given an opportunity with TFC I think the insulting pay they receive wouldn't be as big an issue. That's the cost of an apprenticeship. But if that apprenticeship isn't leading forward then he's just so much cheap, disposable labour and likely feels exactly that way.

Pretty good timing. Like you wrote, looks awful. But I still wish him the best of luck.

Maybe we'll see him in Montreal. The Impact have been growing their squad as they expect to be playing long after TFC's season is over.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I think it's perfectly clear that on this team developing players into footballers or growing a "role playing" footballer into the squad is never ever going to happen. Management is approaching things differently. Hemming hadn't a chance.

Don't think that's clear at all. Most players on development roster sort of deals won't make it. That's the way it works at pro soccer teams the world over. If TFC get one future regular starter out of the current bunch I think that would be about par for the course personally. Two would be doing really well. .

Sure, think you've got it half right. Most players on development roster sort of deals at most clubs won't make it. Agree with you there but we're not talking about most clubs we're talking specifically about TFC. Trader Mo Johnson at the helm, a transfer list longer than a monkeys arm, and naught to show but a parade of younger "fringe" players, some of whom have since gone on to get jobs and playing time with other pro clubs I'll add, going out the door to be constantly replaced by veteran footballers.

Yeah, this club is interested in developing talent. In honestly trying to develop talent. Fair or no, I just don't get that impression and doubt I'm alone in that.

Well two players have gone from the dev. roster to the senior roster in TFC's short history, although one of them (Lombardo)went back to the dev. roster at the start of the season and never played again and is now gone. The other is Jarrod Smith, though it remains to be seen how long he'll last given he has been more ineffective than Lombardo was last season. But we can't say that nobody has made the jump. I think the jury is still out until next year, though Hemming was one of two players I thought would be ready for a senior roster jump for next season (Nana being the other, with Rosenlund having an outside chance, particularly if he plays more as the season progresses) and he's now gone, so there's not much for the jury to decide upon at the moment.

I'm actually happy for Hemming. At this point, I'm starting to think its best for guys like him to get FAR FAR away from TFC.

The club is a mess, the players appear to have quit on the team, management is a joke and MLS is starting to look like the 2nd best league in North America (how embarrasing will it be for MLS if Puerto Rico goes through in CCL tonight after Montreal went through last night while neither MLS side could get out of the 1st round...LOL).

My bet is that Hemming actually wants to play in a professional soccer league, not a pub league with bigger budgets (to those who dismiss this comment, hell, Carver is comparing MLS to a pub league so I think the comparison is not a huge overstatement).

If Hemming is as disenchanted with TFC as I am, I'm glad he quit on the team. There is no reason for him to stay. Its quite obvious to me (and probably Tyler himself) that after Saturday's game, he was going to go back to the bench so that stiffs like Velez and James could start ahead of him, for now other reason I can fathom other than because these are the guys that Mo and JC picked for the team, whereas Hemming is one of the token Canucks.

Hopefully Hemming finds himself a gig somewhere that pays better (from what I hear, he'd probably do better financially playing for Vaughn Italia Shooter and then just hold down an easy part time job on the side). Maybe there is a USL side prepared to give him a better pay packet. it's not hard to beat $18K per year, quite frankly.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I'm actually happy for Hemming. At this point, I'm starting to think its best for guys like him to get FAR FAR away from TFC.

The club is a mess, the players appear to have quit on the team, management is a joke and MLS is starting to look like the 2nd best league in North America (how embarrasing will it be for MLS if Puerto Rico goes through in CCL tonight after Montreal went through last night while neither MLS side could get out of the 1st round...LOL).

My bet is that Hemming actually wants to play in a professional soccer league, not a pub league with bigger budgets (to those who dismiss this comment, hell, Carver is comparing MLS to a pub league so I think the comparison is not a huge overstatement).

If Hemming is as disenchanted with TFC as I am, I'm glad he quit on the team. There is no reason for him to stay. Its quite obvious to me (and probably Tyler himself) that after Saturday's game, he was going to go back to the bench so that stiffs like Velez and James could start ahead of him, for now other reason I can fathom other than because these are the guys that Mo and JC picked for the team, whereas Hemming is one of the token Canucks.

Hopefully Hemming finds himself a gig somewhere that pays better (from what I hear, he'd probably do better financially playing for Vaughn Italia Shooter and then just hold down an easy part time job on the side). Maybe there is a USL side prepared to give him a better pay packet. it's not hard to beat $18K per year, quite frankly.

Well said.

MLSE really needs to step in and just fire Mo and Carver (unless he is willing to change his style of play), but sadly it wouldn't happen since MLSE don't have a clue about soccer at all.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well they're looking after their young Yanks though. Four year deal for Barrett just announced today.

Okay signing, but he is still young and got potential to do well in MLS though.

Naw, who am I kidding? This is same player who missed on a breakaway last game.

I noticed Cunnigham has started scoring again in Dallas. The coaching staff has no respect for the players....and the Canadian players in particular.

Last year, the team started to play well when we got Cunningham...this year Carver messed him up.

Anyone heard what happened to Lombardo? I thought he was one of those players that would do well but just not put the ball in the net. Of course, that can change with a little confidence. All he needed was some support when playing...maybe a quick forward.

^ Lombardo needed more than a quick forward next to him. he needed some talent. I've never spoken to an objective observer who really were surprised that he didn't stick with the senior roster this year. he just doesn't have what it takes to cut it as a pro. Lots of heart, puts out a good effort but the pure talent is not there.

i agree with vpjr....let's be honest, Lombardo is not a good footballer....i've seen him play in the U20 team as well as TFC, this guy just doesn't have it technically or physically.....as far a s Jarrod Smith is concerned, he is better physically and technically (barely) than Lombardo but Jarrod doesn't cut it either....though I am glad TFC has signed Barrett for 4 years....this guy is alright, has a bit of both (technical and physical) abilities...enough IMHO to play in the MLS

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

^ IMHO, Lombardo performed better last year than Jarrod Smith this year. And Lombardo is 3 years younger. I'm not saying that Lombardo is going to be a future star, just relating performance.

Smith sucks too but he is a better player than Lombardo (marginally).

Plus, he actually scored a goal in a game that counted (way back in April vs. LAG). Smith has no finishing ability but he's actually looked a lot more dangerous at times than Lombardo ever did.

I believe that alot of Canadian supporters want to believe that Andrea is a player who just needs a break but, honestly, I don't see it. I just see a guy who doesn't have the basic requisite skills to be a successful pro footballer. I'm glad he's decided to persue his education because I suspect that he'll need one to be successful in his later life. A career as a pro soccer player just ain't going to happen. Smith might want to sign up for some post-secondary programs too because I suspect he'll struggle to survive as a pro as well.

Archived