Canucks in Germany - September 2008

Guest Ed

FC Kaiserslautern remain atop the Bundesliga 2 table (actually, they sit 2nd on goal diff. to SC Freiburg) with a 1-0 away to Greuther Fuerth today.

Canucks in action tomorrow/Wednesday (as the Germans say, it's an "English week") in the German FA Cup (DFB Pokal):

Tuesday, Sep 23rd:

Energie Cottbus vs Borussia Moenchengladbach (Rob Friend expected to start)

FSV Mainz 05 vs FC Koeln (Kevin McKenna likely on the bench)

1860 Muenchen vs MSV Duisburg (1860 have their only B2 win against the Zebras, Nik L on bench)

Wednesday, Sep 24th:

Hamburger SV vs VfL Bochum (Imhof out injured)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

FC Kaiserslautern remain atop the Bundesliga 2 table (actually, they sit 2nd on goal diff. to SC Freiburg) with a 1-0 away to Greuther Fuerth today.

Canucks in action tomorrow/Wednesday (as the Germans say, it's an "English week") in the German FA Cup (DFB Pokal):

Tuesday, Sep 23rd:

Energie Cottbus vs Borussia Moenchengladbach (Rob Friend expected to start)

FSV Mainz 05 vs FC Koeln (Kevin McKenna likely on the bench)

1860 Muenchen vs MSV Duisburg (1860 have their only B2 win against the Zebras, Nik L on bench)

Wednesday, Sep 24th:

Hamburger SV vs VfL Bochum (Imhof out injured)

Wouldn't Mckenna start since Ozat is out? He has been starting lately

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Any news about Beaulieu Bourgeault???

I last reported on him on September 13th (weekend before last) but they didn't play this weekend. Their 5th round game against Hertha Berlin was played earlier in September for some reason.

They play in the new Regional League Nord, which as Frank states is still 4th div.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Wouldn't Mckenna start since Ozat is out? He has been starting lately

Looks like the coke fiend is moving an out and out wingback to start at the right back position as he hasn't been happy with their D. So the back four will have Brecko (wingback), two central D, and Wome (another traditional outside back). The games and highlights I've seen, the 'classy' central D Geromel has had a very poor last two games.

Live coverage:

FSV Mainz vs FC Koeln: McKenna starts in the back four!

http://80.237.221.212/fckoeln/liveticker07/index_popup.htm?index.htm

TSV 1860 vs MSV Duisburg - Nik Ledgerwood will start after all.

go here:

http://www.tsv1860.de/de/index.php

and then click 'im LiveTicker' in the 'Nachtes Spiel' section.

Good action in the Koeln game. Mainz go ahead 2-0 in the 2nd half, but Koeln get one back, 2-1 with 15 minutes to go.

Friend comes in as a 2nd half sub, just before Cottbus scores on a PK to go up 2-0.

Ledgerwood is on the subs bench for 1860. Just getting underway.

Not a great day. Moenchengladbach are out, with Friend only coming in mid 2nd half.

Koeln are out, McKenna and company beaten soundly 3-1.

Nik on the bench as 1860 is still alive, 0-0 with just over 1/2 an hour to go.

Nik in for the Lars half of the Bender twins. Some 5 minutes to go in the first 90. These DFB Pokal games go to extra time and then PKs. No two legs in these games.

As posted earlier, Daniel Imhof out injured as VfL Bochum lose 2-0 to Hamburger SV in Hamburg.

Nik Ledgerwood is only Cdn left in the DFB Pokal as it moves on to the last 16.

Weekend Preview:

Friday

Bundesliga 1

Kevin McKenna in the starting lineup as FC Koeln have a tough one at home to league leaders FC Schalke 04. (Shown tape delay SUNDAY GOLTV).

Bundesliga 2

David Hoilett on the bench as FC St Pauli go east to take on Hansa Rostock.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Rob Friend to start as Borussia Moenchengladbach travel to take on Hamburger SV.

Daniel Imhof had a meniscus issue with his knee, out for a while as VfL Bochum host Bayer Leverkusen.

Sunday

Bundesliga 2

Nik Ledgerwood to start for 1860 Muenchen as they host FC Ingolstadt (bit of a derby).

No sign of any imminent return for Josh Simpson as FC Kaiserslautern host FSV Frankfurt.

originally quoted by ED

[i]No sign of any imminent return for Josh Simpson as FC Kaiserslautern host FSV Frankfurt[/i]

Today our local press wrote that beginning next week Josh flies to Munich to his final medical checkup to Dr. Müller Wohlfarth (team doctor of Bayern Munich and German MNT) to see if his injury now is healed up. So hopefully his long period of suffering is over then.

quote:Originally posted by frank

originally quoted by ED

[i]No sign of any imminent return for Josh Simpson as FC Kaiserslautern host FSV Frankfurt[/i]

Today our local press wrote that beginning next week Josh flies to Munich to his final medical checkup to Dr. Müller Wohlfarth (team doctor of Bayern Munich and German MNT) to see if his injury now is healed up. So hopefully his long period of suffering is over then.

Thanks for the update Frank. Good luck on Sunday.

Ends 3-0 for Rostock. Hoillet looked good the few times he got the ball. Pauli played absolutely terrible, deserved to lose by 3 goals. Pauli's defence is non-existent, only one other team in the 2nd BL has had more goals against and it is only a decent offence that is keeping Pauli from being a relegation team. Give credit to the Pauli fans though, they completely outsung the Rostock fans in Rostock even when down 3-0.

FCH, what is going on with Gyaki? He is not playing for either the first or second Rostock team.

I think Gyaki's days are done in Germany. I have a suspicion the same applies to Eddie Sidra, Zak Kalthoff and Cody Cook (all from Alberta BTW). Although if you see the youtube link posted above, nice video of Cody Cook last year with Cottbus' U18's. Looks to be the best player on the field by far.

McKenna on the bench as the FC Koeln game has gotten underway. Lots of changes by Daum; expect the same from Luhukay on Sunday with 'Gladbach. 'Gladbach hasn't won in Hamburg in 14 years.

McKenna still on the bench but could be a massive win (its early I know) for FC Koeln as they are up 1-0 over the league leaders with 15' to go.

McKenna in as a late sub, Koeln hold on for a sweet win. Up to mid-table now.

Since I get most of my information from the offcial website I suspect that he is out of the lineup because of injury. Coach Pagelsdorf made it clear that he is not counting on him in the future. I believe Ryan still has a contract until next year so the club is interested in getting something for him in return if he plays for the reserve team and catches the eye of a scout. So far he hasen't suited up yet.

http://www.fc-hansa.de/index.php?id=160&oid=6777

Hansa's reserve team travels to the Zentralstadion to face an old rival from the DDR Oberliga in Chemie Leipzig on saturday.

http://www.fc-hansa.de/index.php?id=154&oid=6766

Some pictures of the usual after game action from the Baltic coast.

http://www.express.de/nachrichten/sport/fussball/randale-in-rostock---52-festnahmen_artikel_1222361843543.html?fotolineid=1222361843448

So a huge win for FC Koeln on Friday, putting them mid-table in the Bundesliga, McKenna a late sub.

Rob Friend and Borussia Moenchengladbach are having a rough time, losing 1-0 in Hamburg on Saturday. Their big win over Stuttgart a few weeks ago is a distant memory, with just the one win on the season they are now 1-5 and sit dead last in the table. Friend went 90.

More bad news as Daniel Imhof is out indefinitely for VfL Bochum. The alternate defensive mid, Zdebel was injured on the weekend in Bochum's 3-2 loss to red hot Bayer Leverkusen and Bochum now have only 5 points on the season.

Somewhat better going in the Bundesliga 2, as FC Kaiserslautern continue their good run, with a 2-1 win over on Sunday, jetting them alone in first place. Simpson of course still out.

Nik Ledgerwood played 90 minutes on Sunday as 1860 Muenchen had a disappointing home draw 1-1 with FC Ingolstadt. They are only a point clear of relegation territory.

FC St Pauli sit mid-table in the Bundesliga 2 despite their loss on Friday.

No sign of Riley O'Neill in Eintracht Braunschweigs' 2-1 win in the 3. Liga.

Nice to see Adam Straith go 90 minutes as a wingback for Energie Cottbus' U19's, Kyle Porter starts at striker and comes off with his team ahead 1-0 in minute 69. Sweet 2-0 win over Werder Bremen's top youth team gives Cottbus their first win in now their 5th game.

Again, no sign of Eddie Sidra with Energie Cottbus' amateur team in their 1-0 loss on Saturday in the Regional League North. Another 90 minutes for Jonathan Bourgault as SV Wilhelmshaven defeat VfL Wolfsburg amateurs 2-1 in that same league. No sign of Kennedy Owusu Ansah in Hertha Berlin amateurs loss. Also, no sign of Ryan Gyaki for Hansa Rostock amateurs as they romp to a 4-0 win over one of Grizzlie's favourites, Sachsen Leipzig.

No appearance for Gianluca Zavarise for VfL Bochum amateurs in their 3-1 win in the Regional League West. Preussen Muenster win as well, Massih Wassey still out. Kent O'Connor takes a yellow card but goes 90 minutes as a left back for Eintracht Trier as they beat the Regional League West leaders Rot-Weiss Essen 1-0, knocking them out of first place. Just noticed Mario Basler is coaching Kent. Keep an eye on that one.

Nik and his teammates have the onerous task of showing up all over Munich this week as they celebrate Oktoberfest:

080930_Schaeffler_sam.jpg

Is it the beer? The pretzels. The oompah,oompah,oompah,tehderray bands? I don't know. Something appealing about it anyway:

BR-online-Publikation--208643-20080929150430.jpg

Archived