Canucks in Germany - September 2008

Guest Ed

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Adam Straith and Kyle Porter signed this week with Energie Cottbus to play for their U19 Bundesliga Nord/NordOst (highest level league for U19s in Germany). Big impact today as Kyle Porter goes 90 up front and Adam Straith scores the winner apparently as a right-mid in a 2-1 win over Rot-Weiss Erfurt.

Thanks for that Ed. Do you have a link so I can have something to track, down the road. Not sure what league you mean, can you clarify? Oberliga? Also any word on

William Hyde - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

Greg Smith - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

ADevin Gunenc - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

Tks

Edit Found something on Porter and Straith

Der soll am Sonnabend her. "Die Trainingsbereitschaft war sehr gut. Nun müssen wir das im Spiel besser als zuletzt umsetzen, uns das nötige Selbstvertrauen erarbeiten", schaut U 19-Trainer Detlef Schößler voraus. Er hofft, erstmals die beiden Kanadier Porter und Straight einsetzen zu können und so über mehr Alternativen zu verfügen. Sowohl in der Abwehr als auch im Angriff fehlte in den ersten drei Partien das Durchsetzungsvermögen. "In der Offensive müssen wir die Bälle besser sichern, damit die Mannschaft nachrücken kann", hat Detlef Schößler erkannt. Bei der Niederlage in Jena hatte sich Energie zwar viele Torchancen erspielt, aber keine davon genutzt. Dieses Manko muss dringend abgestellt werden. "Erfurt spielte in den vergangenen Jahren stets gegen den Abstieg, ist also keine Übermannschaft. Wir wollen mit aller Macht die ersten drei Punkte", lässt der FCE-Coach keinen Zweifel am Ziel für Sonnabend im Südstadion.

I guess they're also in the team picture known only as Porter and Straight :) Straith is also in the U18 photo

http://www.fcenergie.de/nachwuchs/u19/home.php

Despite the scoreline, 3-0 loss to Bayern, McKenna had an outstanding game playing at right back for Koeln on Saturday. He was involved getting forward in both halves leading to a number of good scoring chances for his side. And was not at fault on any of the goals.

Friend continues to shine, going 90 minutes despite all the travel this week. Scored a goal and set up Matmoud for a great chance in the loss to Hannover.

How these two players do not start for our men baffles the mind.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Thanks for that Ed. Do you have a link so I can have something to track, down the road. Not sure what league you mean, can you clarify? Oberliga? Also any word on

William Hyde - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

Greg Smith - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

ADevin Gunenc - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1)

Tks

Edit Found something on Porter and Straith

Der soll am Sonnabend her. "Die Trainingsbereitschaft war sehr gut. Nun müssen wir das im Spiel besser als zuletzt umsetzen, uns das nötige Selbstvertrauen erarbeiten", schaut U 19-Trainer Detlef Schößler voraus. Er hofft, erstmals die beiden Kanadier Porter und Straight einsetzen zu können und so über mehr Alternativen zu verfügen. Sowohl in der Abwehr als auch im Angriff fehlte in den ersten drei Partien das Durchsetzungsvermögen. "In der Offensive müssen wir die Bälle besser sichern, damit die Mannschaft nachrücken kann", hat Detlef Schößler erkannt. Bei der Niederlage in Jena hatte sich Energie zwar viele Torchancen erspielt, aber keine davon genutzt. Dieses Manko muss dringend abgestellt werden. "Erfurt spielte in den vergangenen Jahren stets gegen den Abstieg, ist also keine Übermannschaft. Wir wollen mit aller Macht die ersten drei Punkte", lässt der FCE-Coach keinen Zweifel am Ziel für Sonnabend im Südstadion.

I guess they're also in the team picture known only as Porter and Straight :) Straith is also in the U18 photo

http://www.fcenergie.de/nachwuchs/u19/home.php

There was a post in the Vancouver Residency thread on this forum linking to a Vancouver paper article on the boys signing this week. I used the official DFB Junioren-Bundesliga game report to confirm they played (and therefore assumed they signed).

The U19 league does not really fit into the German 'pyramid' of senior teams. It is an elite league with 4 divisions across Germany, restricted to younger players. The U18's would be a step down from that. There is also an elite U17 league with 4 divisions.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Big Rob scores another today, but BM getting thrashed 4-1 by Hannover.

So is that 3 on the year? It looks like Radzinski got 11 for Everton in his first year there -in the best of the big four league watch. I think Bunbury had over 20 in Portugal, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, we need to find a way to get this guy the ball. For BMG, he's clinical with the head and the feet. Why can't he get the service for Canada?

Just a theory, but our backline is quite slow. We need a holding mid/mids to collect the ball and move forward from rather deep in our own third. I know BMG got caught badly on a trap, but their defenders really seem to push up, to the point where they can play short passes to the midfield and spring their creative wingers/attacking mids. I don't recall even one long, hopeful ball to Friend. He was either getting crosses from the bylines to his head, or through-balls to his feet. Quite the difference, but I don't think BMG is that much more talented than the MNT. Though there defenders must be quicker. Perhaps we need to emphasize a little more pace on the backline?

There were a few long balls to him, that he chested down (one where he got called on a hand ball), but typically he has MUCH more forward support than on our current team. McKenna was supporting his forwards very well for Koeln. BTW, Rob has played 4 games, and scored in each of his starts (games 1, 3 and 4).

Nik L sits on the bench for 1860 Muenchen, the coach preferring the Bender twins in the dual holding m/f role. But Sven Bender comes off for Nik at half-time as 1860 have a goal in each half for their first win of the season, 2-0 over the Zebras.

Interview with Rob Friend from the 'Gladbach site, dated Monday (missed it). He talks about the weekend loss and his Cdn team experience:

"You have to look forward"

One day after the decisive 5:1 loss to Hannover 96, we spoke to Rob Friend about the game and his travel experience during the FIFA week with Canada.

Rob, before the game on Sunday you had a real marathon getting back. How much did that hurt you?

Rob Friend: It was really very tough. In that week I first flew to Montreal and after down to Mexico. From Thursday to Friday, I took a 22 hour trip back to Mönchengladbach. Then on Saturday, we took to the train to Hannover for my 3rd game in 8 days, then the 4 hour return trip. That's a lot of travel, but that is the life of a Canadian international playing in Europe. You have to be a professional and hope your body can handle the strain.

How did you view the game in Hannover?

Rob Friend: Well we lost 5:1, what more can you say? I didn't think that we deserved such a big loss but it happened. Certainly we made one or two mistakes too many. We must take the right things out of that game, work hard in training and come out better in the next match.

How do you prepare for the next game against Hertha Berlin?

Rob Friend: We've got to take the agner over this result in Hannover and turn it into positive energy in training this week. As a newly promoted side, we must win our home games; that's very important. With our supporters behind us, I think we can win against Berlin.

You have scored in all three games you've started. How do you feel about your start to the season?

Rob Friend: Well, I can't let it get to me. I get my chances every game. That's the goal of the taem. It's fun playing up front really. Naturally, as a striker, it's important to score and I try to do that in every game. We've been good at creating scoring chances so it gives us hope for the next game.

My mistake the other day. Energie Cottbus U19's LOST 2-1, with Adam Straith scoring the only goal (obviously not a winning goal).

Also, Nik L might be seeing more p/t as one of the Bender twins had his nose rearranged in Monday's clash with MSV Duisburg.

This weekend's action:

Friday

Bundesliga 2

Nik Ledgerwood and 1860 Muenchen look to double their season point total with another win, as they host David Hoilett and FC St Pauli.

I'm surprised to see the Bender twins listed as starting, keeping Nik on the bench. Might see him starting after all. Young David will be a sub for the visitors from Hamburg.

The Roten Teufel (Red Devils) of FC Kaiserslautern are away to Greuther Fuerth on Monday, Simpson still out.

Beat the rush, get your 'Teufels Tour 2008/09' now!!!

http://www.fck.de/content/aktuell/news/15357_scrolltext.html

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Daniel Imhof starting once again in the holding m/f role for VfL Bochum as they travel to take on Energie Cottbus. Cottbus are looking pretty poor right now, having scored 0 goals this season and managing only 1 point to date in a 0-0 draw. Fernandes also starts for Bochum, who can move back up with the leaders with a win.

Kevin McKenna likely on the subs bench as FC Koeln also have a winnable game as they visit Arminia Bielefeld.

Rob Friend starts again for Borussia Moenchengladbach as they host the tough Hertha Berlin side. Oliver Neuville is back with the squad and is a possiblity to start, which would mean another striker up alongside Rob. They look to rebound from a thrashing at Hannover last Sunday. Possibility of new Yank Bradley starting for 'Gladbach as well.

Sunday

3. Liga

Not sure of the status of Riley O'Neill as Eintracht Braunschweig travel to play FC Union Berlin. His club sits mid-table early on.

Nik Ledgerwood starts for 1860 as one of the Bender twins can't go. David Hoilett on the bench. Game just got underway as the St Pauli side come out to a rousing AC/DC Hell's Bells. I posted that 1860 were hosting the game, but the game is at Millentor Stadium in Hamburg.

Nik on a yellow (first of the season) as St Pauli are up 1-0 at the half.

Rob Friend goes 90 minutes and Neuville returns to the lineup as 'Gladbach go down 1-0 to Hertha Berlin. Hertha scores early, Neuville hits the post TWICE but they cannot come back.

Kevin McKenna again goes 90 minutes for FC Koeln. A mid 2nd half goal puts Arminia Bielefeld up 1-0 and Kevin heads it into his own net a few minutes later, 2-0 final for the hosts.

Daniel Imhof comes out early on as VfL Bochum come back to even the score 1-1 against Energie Cottbus.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I hope that was a tactical sub for attacking purposes and not for injury.

Livescore says he got an early card, maybe he was playing rough and they wanted to avoid a second yellow?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Rob Friend goes 90 minutes and Neuville returns to the lineup as 'Gladbach go down 1-0 to Hertha Berlin. Hertha scores early, Neuville hits the post TWICE but they cannot come back.

Kevin McKenna again goes 90 minutes for FC Koeln. A mid 2nd half goal puts Arminia Bielefeld up 1-0 and Kevin heads it into his own net a few minutes later, 2-0 final for the hosts.

Daniel Imhof comes out early on as VfL Bochum come back to even the score 1-1 against Energie Cottbus.

Having seen the highlights last night, the 'own goal' credited to McKenna was pretty harsh as the keeper was out of the play and Kevin basically tried to head it off the line or very close while on the run and it went into the net.

Archived