Canucks in Germany - September 2008

Guest Ed

Great weekend for Rob Friend and Borussia Moenchengladbach as they get the monkey off their back with their first Bundesliga 1 win. And what a win, keeping Champions League side Werder Bremen without a point this season in a stylish 3-2 win (3-0 for the hosts 'Gladbach in the 2nd half). Friend scores a terrific goal, a header, to give 'Gladbach a 2-0 lead at the half; that's his 2nd goal in his 2nd start. The Giant celebrates:

36963-Germany_Soccer_Bundesliga_FAS106.jpg

Kevin McKenna does well coming into the game in a terrible situation as his team captain Turkish international Umit Ozat, collapses on the pitch and is rushed to hospital near death on Friday. His FC Koeln go to score 2 2nd half goals for their first win of the season over Karlsruher SC.

Dani Fernandes is excellent in goal but his VfL Bochum side with Daniel Imhof lose 1-0 to hosts Schalke 04 in the "mini" Ruhr Derby.

Nik Ledgerwood is 1860's highest rated player but has to come in the 54th minute with a thigh injury. 1860 Muenchen go on to lose 2-1 to Rot-Weiss Ahlen.

David Hoilett comes on in the 63rd minute as FC St Pauli get their first win of the season, 4-1 over RW Oberhausen, after losing big last weekend to Greuther Fuerth.

image_1220257762656.jpeg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interview with Josh Simpson at FC Kaiserslautern website:

Josh, you are one of the team's heroes, scoring the winning goal in the last game of last season. What was that like?

JS: It was a terrific way to end a very turbulent season. It was an unbelievable accomplishment, with so much pressure on us to get a win and scoring the goal. It doesn't get better than that. And then of course it was terrible to get injured at the end of the game.

And the team got you out of the hospital? What happened?

JS: I was rushed to the hospital quickly. I was in a lot of pain but I had found out we won the game so I was happy about that. The initial x-rays showed 3 broken bones in my foot. I was told I would be there at least 3 hours. But not even 5 minutes later, the boys showed up and dragged me out to celebrate. The pain in my foot was forgotten.

How are you feeling with the season underway? Are you itching to get back in?

JS: Absolutely. My goal was to be ready for the season opener. I am not happy that I am still out. This was already the 2nd time I've been badly injured in the last game of the season. I am itching to get out there but I have to be completely healthy first.

With Dragan Paljic, you've got direct competition for your spot on the team. Does this give you extra motivation?

JS: I see that as being positive. Good clubs have 2 or even 3 players who can play at each position. The fight for spots on the team can only help the club. Axel Bellinghausen can also play there. I don't have a problem with that, I think it's a good thing.

You've seen 3 games and with 2 wins and a draw, the team is off to a terrific start. Do you think the team is playing so much better or do they just have some early momentum?

JS: The youngsters have done very well. You can see that they are playing with more style, not as many long balls as last season. I think we will do much better.

Where will Kaiserslautern end up this season? What can they do?

JS: It is really early in the season, I don't want to make any guess right now. We have had results in three big games, which is beautiful. Nevertheless, one cannot assume it will be an easy go. You saw last season how unpredictable the second league can be. If we can keep it up, a good position is definitely possible. It is important however that we think from game to game and don't put too much pressure on ourselves.

Thank you very much Josh and above all speedy recovery

Note that due to the FIFA internationals week, there are no games at all in the Bundesliga 1, Bundesliga 2, Liga 3 or the three Regional Leagues this weekend in Germany.

Nik Ledgerwood will have a chance to fight for a spot in the 1860 lineup next weekend as m/f Danny Schwarz is out for a month. The team is off to its worst start in (wait for it) 47 YEARS!

BTW, there was a question whether Nik was injured after the games of the Labour Day weekend. Not so, he played in a friendly for 1860 on Friday, Sept 5th.

Hoilett scored two in a friendly for FC St Pauli the other day.

Interview with David Hoilett at the FC St Pauli site (with some pics):

http://www.fcstpauli.com/magazin/artikel.php?artikel=3368&type=2&menuid=57&topmenu=112

Not much said really. Likes the club, especially the fans. Isn't having much of a problem with communication as the team gets by with him in English, but will be starting German lessons. His family is with him in Hamburg. Looking forward to perhaps playing with his brother who is extremely talented. No mention of national team allegiances.

Coming on for the 2nd half, Nik Ledgerwood sets up Johnson nicely, who draws a PK for 1860. The Munich side added an insurance goal for a 2-0 over VfR Ahlen in a friendly yesterday.

Kevin McKenna gets an opportunity to get back into the starting eleven at Koeln. After doing a decent job coming in under very ugly circumstances in their last game, McKenna has an opening as his captain Umit Ozat (another central defender) is gone for at least 6 months.

Quick Preview:

Friday:

B2 - FC Kaiserslautern, with Josh Simpson out injured, host FC St Pauli, David Hoilett expected as a sub.

Saturday:

B1 - FC Koeln host a club called Bayern Munich. Kevin McKenna can't get a sniff with our under -achieving mens' team, but coach Daum has him starting against the best club in Germany. (tape delay on GOLTV)

Liga 3 - Eintracht Braunschweig host Kickers Offenbach, Riley O'Neill on the bench.

Sunday:

B1 - Hannover 96 host Borussia Moenchengladbach. Note that Rob Friend is going to start as the LONE STRIKER in a 4-2-3-1 formation, not far removed from the 4-1-4-1 some feel Canada should be playing. (Tape Delay on GOLTV)

- VfL Bochum host Arminia Bielefeld, both Dan's expected to start.

Monday

B2 - 1860 Muenchen host MSV Duisburg. Could be a coaching change Monday late. No confirmed team selection as yet, but Nik L will be in the 18 players chosen.

ALSO, not CinG related, Julian and Deportivo are also on LIVE ON GOLTV this weekend.

Originally posted by Ed

Quick Preview:

Friday:

B2 - FC Kaiserslautern, with Josh Simpson out injured, host FC St Pauli, David Hoilett expected as a sub.

Saturday:

B1 - FC Koeln host a club called Bayern Munich. Kevin McKenna can't get a sniff with our under -achieving mens' team, but coach Daum has him starting against the best club in Germany.

I feel that McKenna should have played in place of Dick Hastings. However, remember that he is starting against Bayern only due to injury. It's not like he's had a ton of strong performances this year and was ignored.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

Kevin has had some strong competition in Koeln this season. And to Hastings credit, he battled tough against Marquez where other players bailed in that Mexico match. I can't see Marquez getting free headers on net with big Kev on him though!

Hoilett starts for FC St Pauli, still 0-0 in the first half. K'town keep the great start to the season rolling with Jendrisek putting them up 1-0. Half-time.

Hoilett scores his first goal for FC St Pauli, making it 1-1 on 55 min. Two more from K'town though. Now 3-1.

Going for the Gordie Howe hattrick, takes his first yellow as well, now 4-1 for the surprise team of the season.

And he's subbed out with 17' left.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I think we should bring Hoillet into the next squad. Don't play him vs. Honduras but if we lose our tie them then might as well play Hoillet vs. Mexico. Cap tie him because we will need him next cycle.

If one of our striker is injured or suspended after Honduras and we win that game, we'll have to rely on the unknown Hoillet as one of our sub against Mexico. I think it's a terrible idea.

If we are eliminated for the November game, call him, play him do whatever you want but until we're alive our best players should be call.

Congrats David for your first goal of the season!

quote:Originally posted by loyola

If one of our striker is injured or suspended after Honduras and we win that game, we'll have to rely on the unknown Hoillet as one of our sub against Mexico. I think it's a terrible idea.

If we are eliminated for the November game, call him, play him do whatever you want but until we're alive our best players should be call.

Congrats David for your first goal of the season!

No we wouldn't. Not if we called a BIG squad. Like 22-25 players. In that case we would still have Friend, Gerba, Occean ahead of him.

CSA shouldn´t make the same mistake like they did with JDGII. David is a great talent, with all skills you need for a good striker. Allthough it was dificult for him tonight it was obvious that he is on a very good way. You shouldn´t forget that he is very young and has a lot to learn, but CSA should call him as soon as possible to one of the NT.

If there is someone out there knowing someone of the responsibles at CSA...tell them...Don´t forget him...

quote:Originally posted by frank

CSA shouldn´t make the same mistake like they did with JDGII. David is a great talent, with all skills you need for a good striker. Allthough it was dificult for him tonight it was obvious that he is on a very good way. You shouldn´t forget that he is very young and has a lot to learn, but CSA should call him as soon as possible to one of the NT.

If there is someone out there knowing someone of the responsibles at CSA...tell them...Don´t forget him...

How's it feel to be in first place Frank? Thx for the update.

Thanks ED, it´s a feeling we did not know for such a long time. But we all should not make the mistake to dream of promoting. There is still a long way to go, but it is fun to watch them this season, so different in compariosn to the last season. Was a big party during the game.

With Josh on the left wing, we could be much better, he was at the pitch after the game to celebrate with his teammates and it looked good. So hopefully he will return to the squad. Josh in the form of the last season is an enrichment also for the MNT.

Monday Nik Ledgerwood and 1860 vs Rostock will be the game of the day and will be broadcasted 20.15H local time.

quote:Originally posted by frank

The CSA didn't make any mistake with JDG2. He was called at several levels and always refused the callups. We can blame the CSA (or more accurately the coach they hired, Yallop) for not calling up Fernandez but JDG2 simply didn't want to play for us.

As long as we are not mathematically eliminated from WCQ I think we have to call our best players to the team and at this point in his career Hoillet has not done enough to warrant a call to the senior team for a meaningful WCQ game. If we are officially eliminated then I would be in favour of calling him for the remaining WCQ game and future friendlies.

Kevin McKenna starts at right back in a back four today for FC Koeln. They are beaten soundly by Bayern Munich, 3-0, in front of 50,000 at RheinEnergie Stadion in Koeln.

Eintracht Braunschweig have a big 3-0 win, Riley O'Neill still out injured.

No sign of Ryan Gyaki for Hansa Rostock amateurs as they win in the Regional League Nord.

Jonathan Bourgault is subbed out at the half, with his team down 4-0, as SV Wilhelmshaven lose by that same score to Hamburger SV amateurs.

No Canadians in action yesterday in the Regional League West as FC Kaiserslautern amateurs (Zak Kalthoff) beat FSV Mainz 05 amateurs (Alex Elliott) by a score of 1-0.

Massih Wassey still out for Preussen Muenster.

Today, Kent O'Connor goes 90 minutes as Eintracht Trier come back from a goal down to win 3-1 over Wormatia Worms.

Gianluca Zavarise and the VfL Bochum amateurs play tomorrow.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Kevin McKenna starts at right back in a back four today for FC Koeln. They are beaten soundly by Bayern Munich, 3-0, in front of 50,000 at RheinEnergie Stadion in Koeln.

Right back? He might be one of the slowest right backs ever to start in Bundesliga history. I wonder how he did?

Adam Straith and Kyle Porter signed this week with Energie Cottbus to play for their U19 Bundesliga Nord/NordOst (highest level league for U19s in Germany). Big impact today as Kyle Porter goes 90 up front and Adam Straith scores the winner apparently as a right-mid in a 2-1 win over Rot-Weiss Erfurt.

Archived