DeGuzman wins battle with Diarra

Jimmy

Depor continued with tradition and beat Real Madrid 2-1 at Riazor. Madrid now haven't won at Riazor for an amazing 18 years. Both Depor goals came off headers. First one from a Guardado cross to new boy Mista and second one off a corner kick with defender Lopo putting away a powerful header. Julian had another great performance winning many tussles with Diarra as well as having many key interceptions. I am conitnualy amazed how he performs so well doing such different roles for Depor and Canada. Now lets hope for a Canada result next week.

I have grown to appreciate what a terrific all-around midfielder he has become. With Canada, I like him to have a sort of "free" midfield role where he can push up or drop back as needed. He's got that kind of versatility and ability.

During the WCQ four years ago I was left somewhat disappointed with his play, often feeling that he was trying to do too much to "make something happen" each time he had possession. But his game has matured and in my opinion he's become the real deal. It's a pleasure to watch him play, in all aspects of his game. He's turned me from a skeptic into a huge fan.

Archived