DE ROSARIO !!! (prise 2)

Olgier

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I love the comment about Friend being focused. I was upset last year when he left the Gold Cup team to get married + honeymoon.

Really? How do you think YOUR wife would feel if you had to push back a wedding to play in the GC :P.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Should have planned accordingly.

Please, don't start that again.

Wedding are often planned at least one year in advance. I,m not sure Friend knew where he would play club football at that time or if he was going to be a member of our MNT at the time of the GC. It's not like he was a 100% call up in 2006-2007.

It's hard enough to plan that kind of thing when you are a pro football player, please don't question a guy commitment over that non-issue.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Funny you say that bc last summer when this was happening, I mentioned it to my girlfriend and her words were, "That's brutal. You have to wonder about his commitment."

Your gf hasn't convinced me that Friend should've known that he would part of the squad one year before.

I also remember that Rob was with Heerenveen in 2007. The dutch season ends in mid-may. The GC started early June (with the team getting together ends of May) and last until the last week of June. The pre-season starts in early July in Holland. So, when do you plan your wedding then?

The guy showed commitment by showing up for the games he could attend and notifying the coaches about his other commitment well in advance so they could plan accordingly. No one said a word, the coaches, the players. Only a few fans complained. Case close, let's move on.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Your gf hasn't convinced me that Friend should've known that he would part of the squad one year before.

I also remember that Rob was with Heerenveen in 2007. The dutch season ends in mid-may. The GC started early June (with the team getting together ends of May) and last until the last week of June. The pre-season starts in early July in Holland. So, when do you plan your wedding then?

The guy showed commitment by showing up for the games he could attend and notifying the coaches about his other commitment well in advance so they could plan accordingly. No one said a word, the coaches, the players. Only a few fans complained. Case close, let's move on.

Well we both agreed that there should have been one of two things done:

1) Planned for the possibility of making the squad bc playing for one's country in a major international tournament isn't guaranteed to ever happen again.

2) Moved it as it isn't impossible to do so (especially in the months leading up to it he would have probably had a better idea that he would have been included)

Having said that, I am actually playing devil's advocate bc I have moved on, and I don't have any questions about his commitment. I just think it could have been handled better, and I only piped up inresponse to what you wrote.

There's too much we don't know about the situation (date of proposal, his girlfriend occupation, discussion he had with the coaching staff about this, the situation with his club) to even be allowed to speculate about a lack of commitment from him.

Changing wedding plans for Gold Cup? We love this sport and this team but seriously some things are more important. Gerba filled in nicely anyway and Friend would've been aware of his team's depth in his position. This says nothing to me at all about Friend's commitment or any perceived lack of. This man is 100% committed as is the rest of the team.

I believe I did say that I do not question his commitment. I can't say that I didn't at all, as I think he would understand when he pulled out of a major regional tournament like he did. I am fully behind him and the rest of the boys.

You think if an Italian/English/Spanish/etc. missed Euros to be married there wouldn't be some wondering about his commitment??

And when did i say soccer is more important than his marriage? I didn't. But there is no reason he had to choose one over the other if he planned ahead a little better.

Archived