Should we have a Fire Mo Johnson chant?

Grizzly

I've been debating this with myself for a couple of days and thought I would see what others think. We have a guy who is the manager of Canada's most prominent professional club who is not only showing himself to be incompetent but has also insulted Canadian players and got a perfectly valid and modest Canadian quota reduced because he was too incompetent/unwilling to properly recruit Canadian players. I think this would be a good opportunity as Canada's national team supporter's group to tell MLSE brass and Mo what we think of him. Noone could be more deserving of such treatment than Mo. My only reservation about this is I have thought that we should try to keep all the chants on topic of the national team and positive. Yet such a chant before the players came on the field would not take away from our pro-Canada spirit. I think Mo is a cancer on Canadian soccer and needs to be fired as soon as possible. He is bad for Canadian soccer from his incompetence alone but add in all of the anti-Canadian player statements and moves and all the signings of mediocre foreigners and I think our feelings should be made public.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It is Mo Johnson's fault that the majority of players he signed, Canadian and foreign, failed in MLS. It is Mo Johnson's fault that he has failed as an MLS manager.

I think we need to give him one more year to judge. He stockpiled all those allocation spots and picks --- let's see what he does with them.

But Mo certainly dropped the ball on the Canadian players. He passed on Adrian Serioux, telling the press "there's an upgrade at that position, trust me". Uh huh. Still waiting two years later for that upgrade... Marco Reda never 'failed' as an MLS player, the only playing time he got was at start of the 1st season when everyone was new/playing out of position. Lombardo never got a chance to play this year, Pozniak looked good in the Cdn. cup, and Jim Brennan, a wingback all his life, is still playing out of position on defence even when our left midfield wing has been mediocre at best. And with Mo around, there is zero hope that DeRo will be in an TFC uniform. We just had to be happy with Andy Welsh and Alecko Eskandarian and Colin Samuel and Jeff Cunningham and...

no seriously, I think he deserves another year to prove himself [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It is Mo Johnson's fault that the majority of players he signed, Canadian and foreign, failed in MLS. It is Mo Johnson's fault that he has failed as an MLS manager.

Most of the readily available and affordable Canadian players with CMNT experience that were available to TFC failed to make the grade in MLS terms. That meant a rule change was necessary from a supply and demand standpoint as MLS's business plan revolves around keeping salaries as low as possible. It would have been nice if the likes of Radzinski and Hume, who actually are good enough, could have been enticed home but it wasn't possible due to the salary cap. That isn't Mo Johnston's fault.

quote:Originally posted by Big Daddy K

But Mo certainly dropped the ball on the Canadian players. He passed on Adrian Serioux, telling the press "there's an upgrade at that position, trust me". Uh huh. Still waiting two years later for that upgrade... Marco Reda never 'failed' as an MLS player, the only playing time he got was at start of the 1st season when everyone was new/playing out of position. Lombardo never got a chance to play this year, Pozniak looked good in the Cdn. cup, and Jim Brennan, a wingback all his life, is still playing out of position on defence even when our left midfield wing has been mediocre at best. And with Mo around, there is zero hope that DeRo will be in an TFC uniform. We just had to be happy with Andy Welsh and Alecko Eskandarian and Colin Samuel and Jeff Cunningham and...

And that's a point that I think a lot of people forget. He was playing in the middle of a 3-man backline on an expansion team. Add to that that his manager had zero confidence in him and he was destined to fail. If Reda was playing this year and Carver stuck with him like he's sticking with Velez, I think the story would be different.

As for the chants, the less I time I spend thinking about Johnston on Wednesday, the happier I'll be.

Yeah. Fire Mo Johnson chant? What's the point? Yes, Canada's only team in top flight footie/bashing Canadian players/anti-Canadian bias blah, blah, blah, but TFCs management is still by in large a club issue and club issues aren't what Wednesday is about. Quite the opposite.

Oh. And I think it's unlikely Johnson is going anywhere unless TFC miss the playoffs (which is 50/50 right now I'd say). But players are coming back from the Olympics and Edu is for Scotland at a few millions profit. That doesn't look like so bad a job now does it?

Unless of course Montreal go deep into the Champions League while TFC crash and burn in, or short of, the playoffs. Transfer millions or no, THAT would make MoJo look a witless git. Being out performed by a USL team ripe with Canadian starters on less than half his player budget live on television.

Mo Johnston should be fired because he sucks at his job.

But I don't think the Canada v Jamaica game is the place to air this out.

Its too bad that the majority of TFC fans buy his Canadian excuse though. Hopefully for the sake of a competitive TFC and Canadian soccer in general this is Mo's last year in charge.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Mo Johnston should be fired because he sucks at his job.

But I don't think the Canada v Jamaica game is the place to air this out.

Its too bad that the majority of TFC fans buy his Canadian excuse though. Hopefully for the sake of a competitive TFC and Canadian soccer in general this is Mo's last year in charge.

Yes, I agree...........

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

A case of shooting the messenger if you do. It's not Mo Johnston's fault that players with CMNT experience like Reda, Braz, Pozniak and Canizalez failed in MLS.

Given that he had a choice in who to re-sign and protect it actually is his fault that some of those players have been deemed "failures" -after all, it's not like Braz or Poz could possibly have been any worse than Velez has been. Speaking of Poz, you need to stop including him in your list of players who's alleged "failure" caused the Canadian quota to be reduced, since Chivas released him well after that decision was made.

As for the idea of the chant, I like it, but I think we may have other things on our minds on Wednesday.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Most of the readily available and affordable Canadian players with CMNT experience that were available to TFC failed to make the grade in MLS terms. That meant a rule change was necessary from a supply and demand standpoint as MLS's business plan revolves around keeping salaries as low as possible. It would have been nice if the likes of Radzinski and Hume, who actually are good enough, could have been enticed home but it wasn't possible due to the salary cap. That isn't Mo Johnston's fault.

Wait... Mo? Is that you? I knew it!

quote:Originally posted by Aljarov

I think Mo's biggest failing is being GM of a team that lost to two lower level Canadian sides, packed with talent he overlooked and deemed not good enough. I think that says everything....

TFC never lost to Montreal [:P]

(I know, I know...)

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I just started a thread at the U-Sector forum about replacing Mo.

Surprising to me more people felt like he deserved more time to mis-manage the team.

Good luck in trying to protest Mo's crappy job at BMO Field, you will probably get lynched by the TFC fans...

I am a TFC fan and I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson fired end of this season. Don't know about you guys, but I am getting sick of this pro-britsh and anti-canadian TFC team and posers (you know the ones that call you mate and say "s***e" instead of s***) who support TFC.

Two part answer

One: Who cares about Mo Johnston at the Canada game? Not the place for it.

Two: Like everyone I have been disappointed with the lack of Canadian content on TFC and the lackluster results of late. However how Johnston will handle Nana Attakora well tell me if there is a real bias against Canadian players and if he should be fired. Here is a young kid who is Canadian and is playing well, and looks like he could develop into a starter or he could be better than some of TFC starters (Velez and James). Since TFC will have some players back soon if this last game was the last time we see Nana then I would suggest firing Johnston and Carver. Nana is five years younger than James and nine years younger than Velez. He needs to get some playing time to develop. Not giving him playing time over players like Velez and James would be a blow to Canadian soccer, and if you aren’t going to help grow it then you have no business running a Canadian team.

Not the time and place boys. We're here to support our COUNTRY, leave the club team behind for those 90 minutes. Our efforts should be focussed on pro-Canada and anti-Jamaican chants for this wednesday.

I realize the comments Mo made are not very pleasent but if you must bash the man do it at a TFC match, bring anti-Mo banners and such (i'm sure the um02 can help you boys out with that *wink*)

After today, I agree that Mo has to be sacked sooner rather than later. Edu is gone, Robert is gone, and who do we have to replace them? A couple Conference-calibre players and a loser named Carlos Ruiz (most likely, anyway). Meanwhile Ali Gerba signs for Franchise FC, I doubt it would have been very difficult to persuade him or a number of other Canadian internationals to sign for the biggest club in Canada. I was willing to let the lack of Canadian content slide provided he made other intelligent choices, but this is just getting to be too much. He seems to think that a player being English or Scottish automatically makes them great. A Rob Friend or Atiba Hutchinson would be head and shoulders over most of the players we have right now.

As for a chant at the game, though... It's not the time. This is Canada's moment in the spotlight.

Mo did not have a choice on having to change the foreign player limits. It is not his fault.

They should "fire the fieldturf" at BMO. Decent Canadian players will not play on it....and a lot of others won't either.

Mo first has to find players he likes and then try to plead with them to play fieldturf. Why do you think the All Star game was against West Ham and not a bigger club?

Also if it was not for TFC in MLS, there is no way the game tomorrow would have sold out in Toronto...and no way would Canadian support be greater than Jamaica. TFC has helped soccer in Toronto in a big way.

If he can grass at BMO, I say give him another 5 years.

Archived