Will Johnson Signs With MLS

DigzTFC

^ I disagree that Smith is a useless signing but I do agree they should try to get Will. TFC need more young, talented midfielders.

anyone have any opinions on why Johnson is choosing to come back at this point in this career?

Will was playing with De Graafschap this past year not Heerenveen. De Graafschap is not exactly the centre of Dutch soccer. He was getting playing time (according to soccernet started 8 and subbed for 18) but probably should have been getting more to be considered a shining star. At the same time, De Graafschap also has some very good young players in its system and I suppose they had some that they felt needed playing time to develop. Sadly, some clubs expect players to show more at 21.

Since he wasn't going anywhere in the Netherlands, the move to MLS is probably a good one because I would bet he will make the same money. He's probably considered domestic for all MLS teams so he can play anywhere.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ I disagree that Smith is a useless signing but I do agree they should try to get Will. TFC need more young, talented midfielders.

anyone have any opinions on why Johnson is choosing to come back at this point in this career?

MLS is a good fit for him though and I'm pretty damn sure he'll be signing on at a Hell of a lot more money than when he left. A good year or two in MLS and it's back to Europe.

And here's a question much along the same lines as with Nsaliwa. Even though he's cap tied to Canada would Johnson count as a domestic for Canadian MLS teams or would he need citizenship? ****, does he have Canadian papers?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

MLS is a good fit for him though and I'm pretty damn sure he'll be signing on at a Hell of a lot more money than when he left. A good year or two in MLS and it's back to Europe.

And here's a question much along the same lines as with Nsaliwa. Even though he's cap tied to Canada would Johnson count as a domestic for Canadian MLS teams or would he need citizenship? ****, does he have Canadian papers?

He was born in Toronto, thus he is a Canadian citizen.

Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Since he wasn't going anywhere in the Netherlands, the move to MLS is probably a good one because I would bet he will make the same money. He's probably considered domestic for all MLS teams so he can play anywhere.

Are we so sure? Can some of the TFC fans give us some insight into what he might make in MLS. From what I can gather from following salary talk at TFC I cant imagine this guy will make more than $100,000 in the MLS. What would he have been making in Holland?

I doubt he was making $100,000 at de Graafschap so I suspect it wouldn't be that far off because I suspect that MLS is offering close to that. The Dutch League is not the EPL nor is de Graafschap the same as Feyenoord, Eindhoven or Ajax. I understand his de Graafschap contract was initiated by Heerenveen but it was coming out of a trial and his first contract.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

This is my biggest problem with MLS, that a player cannot sign with a team, they must sign with the league. Personally, I don't think this will last very long, as teams will become bigger and bigger, and those with money will want to be able to spend it on players they want. I can see the single-entity ownership disappear along with the salary cap as the sport grows bigger in the States.

All the best to Wil Johnson. I think he's player that could break in with the National Team if he gets a regular game.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hopefully Ives was wrong about TFC not being in the mix for Johnson & he's one of the players mentioned by Mo in his latest mysterious comments:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080819&content_id=181353&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

"We will make a proposal to the board to see if we can put it towards a practice facility, maybe a grass field here which I think is vital for us moving forward..."

That certainly sounds promising - time will tell though whether Mo is to be trusted about anything.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

absolutely - you'll see his involvement with the Nats increase if he's playing MLS. Especially if he's a regular by any stretch.

BY the way - has Dale done away with the "b" internationals which Yallop started?

I agree with you regarding Johnson. I'm happy to see another North American based attacking mid/type in our MNT mix.

I'm guessing we may see that mid winter "b" international camp primarily for NA based players but I have never been a big fan of "b" internationals in general. For instance, I thought they undermined Yallop's player selection for the last WCQ when he overrated individual performances vs the Hearts and Millwall "public crawl" (kudos to Ed for that one) teams the summer before the second round qualifiers.

Archived