My letter to Don Garber

I think the comment by Boomer Richard is speaking to the Caps marketing to the Soccer Moms and their 5 year old holy terrors and not the Proper supporters of the game that actually have the money to help make the team/club profitable.

I don't think anyone has ever commented on whether the Caps are the best run/ one of the best run clubs in the USL, it's just that they could be run/marketed better in some opinions of some fans, and that is always the way.

quote:So now you've moved away from the argument that the Whitecaps operation is a ma and pa shop which is what I was refuting, to some of the hires have not been very good.

I don't know about your definition of "Ma and Pa" shop, but mine includes friends and brothers and family members running critical departments within the club.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ The Whitecaps is not an MLS club they are a USL-1 club and have one of the best organisations in the USL. Why would they incur the cost of an MLS style organisation to support a USL-1 club, would make no business sense whatsoever?

Richard...I'm not disputing that the Whitecaps are a TOP NOTCH USL 1 franchise. My point was there are people in the organization right now who don't have MLS chops. My definition of a Ma and Pa shop is that of a family operation, where you're not really accountable, because you're a member of the family.

One other point about having such a large organization with all these people running around doing their little jobs. You may recall a team called the 86ers, which in 1987, 1988 and 1989 outdrew the current Whitecaps in the same stadium, by over 1,000 fans per game. And there were THREE people working in the front office back then. You'd think, that with all the people currently working for the club, all the sales reps and marketing types...they'd do better at the gate than a team that played in a lesser league, with a miniscule budget...wouldn't you?

^ You keep trying to change the subject, it is quite irrelevant what previous incarnations of the club were like. The Whitecaps current organisation with its multiple programs and teams - more than any previous incarnation of the club ever had - is far from being a ma and pa organisation as you claim for the reasons I have given and which you try to avoid by changing your argument with each post. It is becoming increasingly evident that you have your own personal axe to grind here.

^No Richard, (sigh) an "axe to grind" is when you constantly pratter on about Government waste over stadiums, and moving to Surrey. I've explained on several posts my definition of Ma and Pa shop, and you either can't read, or simply don't get it. I understand you don't want to lose your field access at Swangard, but you simply do not see the "whole picture" and your ignorance on the subject is not worth wasting any more time.

^ How does field access at Swangard come into this or is this just another attempt by you to move the subject away from your ma and pa shop hobbyhorse? Having an axe to grind simply means having a favourite topic one wishes to promote and with you this would be your conviction that the Whitecaps organisation is an incompetent ma and pa shop riddled with nepotism.

I guess we'll just have to agree to differ - seems we speak different versions of English.

Archived