Canada v. Argentina: Aug 6, 2008 (R)

Vic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from the Fifa article, link posted above.

"Canada's playing style is about as direct and honest as Lang's manner of speaking. "Our philosophy can really be summed up with the words ‘fast, forward and aggressive.' That's the way we like to play and we also like to go hard into tackles and impose ourselves physically."

(I guess there's no trying to disguise our playing philosophy very much...!)

We used to be really feared on the field and teams knew when they played us they would be physically punished. Our women's team was similar to our men's hockey team. Not sure who pushed the agenda initially. The Americans in particular used to whine about it all the time. But I haven't heard it in ages, and I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I think it disappeared when our team got younger and were mostly teenagers playing against much older women. The rise of Tancredi has brought physicality, but it's not like we're built for our around it as a team. And if we put a new emphasis on it, should be interesting to see how it works and how well it's received against China in Tianjin.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Do you think she is describing the style the players genuinely like or is she just feeding everybody the coach's line as many here will suggest I'm sure?

I am surprised she is saying anything at all about their "style".

Like it or not, it just becomes a player's style when it is the coach's chosen style/system of play.

The US was the same, but now with a change in leadership they are quickly taking a different approach and with roughly the same players on board....

E.g. Shannon Boxx interview in Fifa.com...

....A golden era?

The USA were criticised in certain quarters for their long-ball tactics in China last year, but Boxx believes that entertaining fare will be served up, thanks to the new coach.

"It's going to be a good first game against Norway," she said. "I think every team in this tournament is good and no-one is going to have an easy game. We know we have to come out strong, but we've been training hard and we're ready to play some good football." ...

Unquote

Sorry that was my bad. The photo was just to show she can play the physical game. The reference to the bogus red is in the first few seconds of the link below. Wait for the replay where you see Cristiane run over the back of her legs and then ask the ref to give her a red. Still makes me puke.

They've met Brazil a few times this year but Cristiane never showed up for any of them. I'm hoping the USA and Germany win their groups so it's a USA-Brazil quarter and we can see if she gets her justice served cold. Just too bad Wambach broke her leg and isn't there to dish it, and I'm really going to miss her. She's a genius in what to mentally bring to the field.

Semi+Final+USA+v+Brazil+Women+World+Cup+2007+sLht2pleCiQl.jpg

Argetina is 11-1 and Canada is the biggest favourite of the day at almost even money:

2008-08-06 / Win/Draw/Win       

10:00 Japan Women - New Zealand Women    1.40 / 4.00 / 7.25  

10:00 Germany Women - Brazil Women    2.20 / 3.25 / 2.95   

10:00 Argentina Women - Canada Women    11.00 / 5.50 / 1.20 

12:45 North Korea Women - Nigeria Women    1.25 / 5.00 / 10.00 

12:45 China Women - Sweden Women    2.75 / 3.25 / 2.30

12:45 Norway Women - Usa Women    4.75 / 3.50 / 1.65    

Olympic Facts

- introduced in 1900, soccer was the first team sport in the Olympics

- Athens 2004 scrapped the minimum age of 16 requirement for women's soccer

- the oldest player was Brazil goalkeeper Meg who was 40 in 1996, and the youngest was Daniela who was 16 in 2000

- the USA have appeared in every women's Olympic final, and are the only team to medal at every World Cup and Olympics

- no reigning Women's World Cup champion has won Olympic gold

- in 1996 almost 77000 fans watched the USA women play China in Athens, but it was in Athens, Georgia

- no women's team has won all their matches in an Olympic tournament

Argetina is 11-1 and Canada is the biggest favourite of the day at almost even money:

2008-08-06 / Win/Draw/Win       

10:00 Japan Women - New Zealand Women    1.40 / 4.00 / 7.25  

10:00 Germany Women - Brazil Women    2.20 / 3.25 / 2.95   

10:00 Argentina Women - Canada Women    11.00 / 5.50 / 1.20 

12:45 North Korea Women - Nigeria Women    1.25 / 5.00 / 10.00 

12:45 China Women - Sweden Women    2.75 / 3.25 / 2.30

12:45 Norway Women - Usa Women    4.75 / 3.50 / 1.65    

Olympic Facts

- introduced in 1900, soccer was the first team sport in the Olympics

- Athens 2004 scrapped the minimum age of 16 requirement for women's soccer

- the oldest player was Brazil goalkeeper Meg who was 40 in 1996, and the youngest was Daniela who was 16 in 2000

- the USA have appeared in every women's Olympic final, and are the only team to medal at every World Cup and Olympics

- no reigning Women's World Cup champion has won Olympic gold

- in 1996 almost 77000 fans watched the USA women play China in Athens, but it was in Athens, Georgia

- no women's team has won all their matches in an Olympic tournament

quote:Originally posted by Vic

They've met Brazil a few times this year but Cristiane never showed up for any of them. I'm hoping the USA and Germany win their groups so it's a USA-Brazil quarter and we can see if she gets her justice served cold. Just too bad Wambach broke her leg and isn't there to dish it, and I'm really going to miss her. She's a genius in what to mentally bring to the field.

I'm in w/ you as I'd like to see a USA & Brazil rematch as well.

Going to be interesting to see if Germany is still the team machine last time we saw them.

Guest Jeffery S.

Nobody up watching, what a bunch of wimps.

Canada imposing physical presence and even passing intelligently upon occasion, opening up well to the wings. Good defending, playing like a team, a lot of sacrifice physically and decent movement tactically.

Won't say the score as noone is here to add the ® to keep the dumbshts away.

But seriously, with their talent and a decent coach they'd clean up. Glad Pellerud is on his way out.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Nobody up watching, what a bunch of wimps.

I was up, just too lazy to login.

Did any one else notice that once Tancredi was replaced by Robinson we seemed to start seeing some nice runs from Canada? Mainly it was Lang and Robinson hooking up for the plays but I really think that once Lang was put on forward the "bang it up the field" plays went down in number. Any one else notice that or am I out to lunch?

Caught the last 25 minutes or so. Things being what they were at that point not sure exactly what to say except that the Ladies did enough to get the result they needed but that may not be enough. We always seem to start a little slow in these tournaments but still, they must know that goal difference could be HUGE when it comes time to see who goes where. Ah well, but for the width of a layer of paint on the frame of the goal I'd be feeling a bit better.

Super goal by Lang.

China's next. That's the match that makes me nervous.

Family conflict so had to PVR it but glad to hear the result.

I've noticed that about Robinson for a while now. She consistently hits the field with about 15 to go. They must think her pace isn't effective until teams are 75 minutes into the bag.

The girls seemed tired - it was obviously very hot and humid. Probably smoggy as well. I thought they did not play as well as I would have expected. They kept running forward long balls and did not have nearly the possesion that Argentina did. They need to be more patient and push the ball around more. Sinclair seemed a little off however I was impressed by the play of Tancredi's sub, Robinson. She made several nice runs and can really handle the ball. Hopefully they are not too banged up because the next game will be very difficult.

Archived