Barret and a 1st for McBride

Keano

www.thescore.ca and Morgan Campbell's blog are both reporting that Tebily has left the team, apparently having asked for his release after having "had enough" (presumably of watching Velez play instead of him). So that would free up the senior roster spot required to make room for Barrett.

Anyone else find this comment of Mo's to be somewhat amusing: "The real winners in this deal are MLS, the Chicago Fire, Toronto FC, and Brian McBride."

I mean, who else is left to be phony winners in this deal? The fans? The Hartrells? The King of Norway? :)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

www.thescore.ca and Morgan Campbell's blog are both reporting that Tebily has left the team, apparently having asked for his release after having "had enough" (presumably of watching Velez play instead of him). So that would free up the senior roster spot required to make room for Barrett.

Anyone else find this comment of Mo's to be somewhat amusing: "The real winners in this deal are MLS, the Chicago Fire, Toronto FC, and Brian McBride."

I mean, who else is left to be phony winners in this deal? The fans? The Hartrells? The King of Norway? :)

Barrett of course! :D

The loss of Tebily is a major blow. I was really hoping he'd come back from his injury soon and stabilize the back line.

Now TFC is left with one competent centre back (Marshall), one highly inconsistent centre back who is competent on his good days and shockingly awful on his bad days (Velez), and a rookie centre back who looks promising but isn't ready to be a starter week in and week out (James).

Is it time to move Jim Brennan back to central defence? I was never a fan of TFC using him there, because it takes his offensive talents out of the match, but TFC needs to stop leaking goals.

What about trying to sign Nevio Pizzolitto from Montreal? (although I'd hate for Montreal to be weakened going into the CONCACAF CL play). Nevio was very good in the Voyageurs Cup matches I saw him play. I'm sure he'd be an improvement on Velez.

Has Poz signed with a European club or is he available? Maybe he could be brought back as a utility man at the back. He could play left back if Brennan were moved into the middle, or even plug a hole in central defence himself.

I suppose I'm being overly optimistic to think Mo would sign a Canadian... [V]

Some more info from Ives Galarcep:-

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=244870&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_main

The future considerations center around Toronto's ability to re-sign Barrett at the end of the season. TFC will attempt to sign Barrett to a new deal, but if it can't, and Barrett leaves, Toronto will receive more compensation, potentially in the form of an allocation.

I'm not too confident that 1st round picks amount too much in the MLS. If you are lucky enough to draft a great player, he'll be bought by a bigger club.

And how about Andrew Boyens and Pat Phelan? I'm sure those two 1st rounders are giving TFC great hope for the future.[xx(]

Archived