TSN Reporters Discussess....

red card

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Brilliant post!! You do realize that we call TSN the 'TORONTO SPORTS NETWORK' out west. Twat.

Yes he's right. TSN caters only to Western Canada and we only support hockey curling and cow pie tossing. That is why CTV Sportsnet created regional coverage, so Easterners could watch more baseball and less rodeo.

And we hate soccer because it gits in the way o' banjo playin'.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Yes he's right. TSN caters only to Western Canada and we only support hockey curling and cow pie tossing. That is why CTV Sportsnet created regional coverage, so Easterners could watch more baseball and less rodeo.

And we hate soccer because it gits in the way o' banjo playin'.

Admitting it, is the first step to fixing problem, congratulations. ;)

Well, maybe some Western Canadians are pleased, but this one isn't. The Toronto Sports Network (TSN) is a primitive beast, for sure. I suspect it is in massive trouble; it certainly needs an overhaul if it wants to stay relevant. Sad thing is they are struggling for content and are shaping their mandate accordingly (more poker, anyone?) Sportsnet might not be perfect, but it has better and more releavant and more popular content, and TSN is left with the feeble task of finding a second tier niche in Canadian sports coverage. (Actually, they are slipping into the fourth tier--CBC, Sportsnet, The Score then TSN).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Brilliant post!! You do realize that we call TSN the 'TORONTO SPORTS NETWORK' out west. Twat.

Oh please, besides the Leafs, what coverage do Toronto sports teams get on TSN? They give more attention to western CFL teams (in some cases, NASCAR) and even curling than they do with Blue Jays or Raptors. I just watch Sportsnet Ontario and theScore (I love their basketball coverage) instead of TSN.

Well, you said it right off the top. Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs. The Toronto f*ing Maple Leafs. Are they still leading with a Where is Mats headline every freaking night? Please don't try to sell us Westerners on how TSN is putting out for us. And, seeing as there are 5 CFL teams based in the West, as opposed to 3 in the east, you might just do the math. They cover all the games, no bias.

Well, you said it right off the top. Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs. The Toronto f*ing Maple Leafs. Are they still leading with a Where is Mats headline every freaking night? Please don't try to sell us Westerners on how TSN is putting out for us. And, seeing as there are 5 CFL teams based in the West, as opposed to 3 in the east, you might just do the math. They cover all the games, no bias.

Wow sounds like TSN has got it really wrong. I find their big problem is that they have too many events (Curling, Champiosn League, F1, Tennis, Golf)and have trouble fitting them all in. I understand that they now have an alternate channel, but out West Shaw dropped that after the NHL playoffs.

Wow sounds like TSN has got it really wrong. I find their big problem is that they have too many events (Curling, Champiosn League, F1, Tennis, Golf)and have trouble fitting them all in. I understand that they now have an alternate channel, but out West Shaw dropped that after the NHL playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

Oh please, besides the Leafs, what coverage do Toronto sports teams get on TSN? They give more attention to western CFL teams (in some cases, NASCAR) and even curling than they do with Blue Jays or Raptors. I just watch Sportsnet Ontario and theScore (I love their basketball coverage) instead of TSN.

You might be right. never thought of it recently. But there definitely was time when it was way over the top in its Toronto and southern ontario focus. Further infuriating, was the fact that TSN execs would try to publicly deny it. I would have had no problem had they stated: " the bulk of the viewing audience is in Southern Ontario, hence, in ratings driven business we have to deliver the content taht or audience wants". But No. they would not even ackowledge that. Even the most insignificant feature would always be Toronto focused.

But already, we have seen slight changes. On their hockey shows, they cover stories from only canadian cities whether or not the story is significant. Meanwhile, An interesting Hockey story or topic of discussion could emerge in some other NHL team, but it will completed get ignored, because you have to get that 5 - 10 minutes in to cover that item in Calgary or Leafs ( to name one ) in order please that audience; regardless of its importance to anybody else outside Calgary.

Even recently, on that same panel I have heard some incredibly stupid things demonstarting ignorance of anything outside S Ontario. Steve Simmons once thought that laval Univerisity was in Montreal rather than Quebec City; obliously confused between the Universtity and the Suburb of Laval baring the same name.

I strongly suspect that the sportsnet model of region channells was a response to the flack that TSN received.

Curling is also popular in many parts or Ontario and Eastern canada.

The point is....they certainly are NOT catering to Western Canada. Western based CFL games are just filler.

In Canada we have one baseball team. They are a mediocre team and the amount of baseball shown right now on ALL the networks is making me sick. I just got GOL TV and FoxSports in order to get a little more MLS action - and yet I still couldn't find one highlight of the (ahem) TORONTO vs. Salt Lake game last night......

I think the point we can all agree on is that all the networks purposefully ignore the most played sport in Canada - Soccer!! When you employ washed up NHL'ers, former CFL players etc. as commentators and analysts - the focus remains on the old mainstay sports. Brian Budd's passing is truly a pity. Let's hope guys like Craig Forrest continue the fight to have increased coverage of the beautiful game.

Archived