TSN Reporters Discussess....

red card

for the first time in my memory, this show actually discussed "soccer" in a North American context and even Steve Simmons admits he was wrong about TFC. They do make a good point about assuming TFC's success can be transposed to Montreal & Vancouver - especially since they seem to be following the rest of the MLS model of catering to soccer moms while being hostile to supporter groups.

Video Clip 1

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip69775

Video Clip 2 (thumbs down segment on Argos/BMO Field)

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip69773

Well, they're not trying to make themselves out to be anything they're not so "bunch of morons" may be harsh. These are guys who're admittedly out of their element.

It's been said before and so I'll say it again since it's appropriate (and as the X-Files latest movie came out Friday), soccer in Canada will always be hobbled by the fact most of our sports personalities, on the air and behind the scenes, haven't a clue. You can't pull off a reasonable broadcast or report without having somebody, anybody, scripting or speaking like they know what they're talking about.

And with all the internet access to football out there and the herd of soccer dedicated digital channels there's a lot of competition in the market and as TSN and most of the other domestic broadcasters are already waaaay down the football fans viewing list from a broadcaster-with-a budget's point of view until football goes completely main-stream why bother?

Despite showing the Champion's League games (when not conflicting with Curling) - TSN's soccer coverage has been pretty non-existant. Good to see them discussing soccer development in Canada even if they opinions expressed are a bit jarring.

Ok I live in Alberta and can count the TFC games I've seen on my two hands.....Beckham is the reason for the TFC success? Give me a break.

I credit all you TFC fans. I'm jealous and I tip my hat to all you. If we bring that atmosphere to the MNT WCQ games, you'll see soccer explode across this land. You've managed to get my attention and I'm bringing a non-soccer guy Aug 20....He'll be converted I'm sure.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

As I understand it is that the folks at TFC are very unhappy with TSN.

I guess we should go after TSN and remind them of our fan numbers and attendance.The old days of show me the attendance and we will report does not fly here and I guess the old bastions of anti soccer groups still reign at TSN.

Time for a change.The Soccer Network instead.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Built with Canadian taxpayers money, how does that entitle a private, Torontonian, let alone 2, franchises to it?

better yet, the current tennant ( soccer ) is generating the revenues that is helping to pay it off. One of the reasons why its generating those revenues is because of its sightlines and the fact that its soccer friendly. Can you ensure that that would be still the case in a reconfigured venue for Football.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

wow, what a bunch of morons:

Steve Simmons: I have been the biggest cynic through all of this, I thought Toronto FC would be a bust...

Dave Hodge: You're going to tell me why it hasn't been I hope.

Steve Simmons: Because of Beckham.

That was just after Dave Feschuk told MLS to be careful with expansion because the more people who see MLS will realize that that it is crap soccer.

Pretty good tv numbers for the all-star game though - 269,000.

As I told you guys these jerks are coming to realize that soccer not only exist but also will do what they were afraid of,namely bypassing any other sport in popularity in Canada.The Simonses and Mcgowan and you know them all will surrender to the demand and realization that they have to join or else.This is just some of the first steps and I can assure you that the soccer writers will make sure these guys are being left out if they don't conform.This Simmons jerk has never ever given any space to soccer and only very negative bylines that only confirms that he is a die hard soccer hater.In fact I am surprised that the Sun Management allowed him to get away with ignoring soccer.

TSN is next and slowly but surely they will have no choice.

Wait till we play Jamaica,our roar will be heard in their little cubicles and it will be very painfull to their ears.

I really believe that this day will be a huge eye and ear opener.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

As I told you guys these jerks are coming to realize that soccer not only exist but also will do what they were afraid of,namely bypassing any other sport in popularity in Canada.The Simonses and Mcgowan and you know them all will surrender to the demand and realization that they have to join or else.This is just some of the first steps and I can assure you that the soccer writers will make sure these guys are being left out if they don't conform.This Simmons jerk has never ever given any space to soccer and only very negative bylines that only confirms that he is a die hard soccer hater.In fact I am surprised that the Sun Management allowed him to get away with ignoring soccer.

TSN is next and slowly but surely they will have no choice.

Wait till we play Jamaica,our roar will be heard in their little cubicles and it will be very painfull to their ears.

I really believe that this day will be a huge eye and ear opener.

Oh, John. Not again.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

TSN discussing soccer? Sorry, but I find that funny. What do they know about the game? F*** TSN! They should stick with hockey, Canadian football and curling while pleasing western Canadians.

LOL. there is great deal of irony in that statement. Because when i used to live on Montreal, people ( mostly anglophones and anglophone media) really had it in for TSN because they were so toronto centric. People began to call them the Toronto Skydome network Or The Toronto Sports Network.

Other than that, I share your sentiment regarding TSN. When it comes to soccer, they are giving it an even worst treatment than they gave the Expos.

TSN discussing soccer? Sorry, but I find that funny. What do they know about the game? F*** TSN! They should stick with hockey, Canadian football and curling while pleasing western Canadians.

LOL. there is great deal of irony in that statement. Because when i used to live on Montreal, people ( mostly anglophones and anglophone media) really had it in for TSN because they were so toronto centric. People began to call them the Toronto Skydome network Or The Toronto Sports Network.

Other than that, I share your sentiment regarding TSN. When it comes to soccer, they are giving it an even worst treatment than they gave the Expos.

Brilliant post!! You do realize that we call TSN the 'TORONTO SPORTS NETWORK' out west. Twat.

I havn't watched TSN or Sportsnet's nightly sports news programs for years. I would rather watch paint dry than have to watch 28 minutes of baseball coverage to watch a 30 second clip of soccer highlights. They lost me and thanks to Fox Sportnet I get all the soccer news I want every night. Bobby rules.

Why didn't they invite someone with a clue to chime in on this discussion? They call themselves sports broadcasters then actually act embarrassed to know some player names and that Adu was traded. What a joke. Please, young Voyageurs thinking of going to school and looking for careers, get into sports broadcasting and relieve some of these idiots of their jobs.

Archived