Keep the Whitecaps name for God sake

Luis_Rancagua

To all the Vancouverites out there, Now that you have a 99.9% opportunity of entering MLS, Please in the name of God don't try to change the name Whitecaps. Keep it. It represents a long tradition in the province of BC. Don't even try to bring-up stupid names such as: Vancouver Nationals, Vancouver Multiculturalists (that's the type of name pandering to people of the like of f...ing Libby Davis of the NDP), or Vancouver Beavers. Follow the path of your long-time rivals the Seattle Sounders.

No doubt.

With the group spearheaded by Kerfoot and now Nash and his buddy that is a part owner in the SF Giants that also grew up in Victoria I see the teams name staying 100% the same, unless the USL owns the rights to it as a franchise, in which case the guys will probably just scratch a cheque.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC Forever!!!

It's never gonna change. They've worked so hard at building the brand, and it still carries weight in the UK/europe (or so I've read) that there's no way they'd go to some crazy new name.

Hell even when they were called the 86ers a certain percentage would still refer to them as the Whitecaps. Personally I think MLS would love to have the Whitecaps, Sounders, Timbers and Earthhquakes down the coast.

I live in Australia and play for a football club that consists greatly of English, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, etc. ex-pats. Not everybody is a learned historian on the history of the club, but the Whitecaps' name is definitely known. Keep in mind that is a club that has boasted some pretty famous names in the past. People still recall Peter Beardsley getting his chance as a young player after he failed at Man U and then going on to play at World Cups for England. Bruce Grobellaar went straight from sharing goalkeeping duties with the 'Caps to a decade as undisputed no. 1 for the best club side in the world in the eighties. Peter Lorimer and Ruud Krol are also famous ex-Caps. Hell, we even let David O'Leary's brother play for us back in the day. The Whitecaps' brand is stronger than any current MLS club's, except for LA Galaxy, and that's only due to Beckham. It's not going to be cast aside any time soon.

I'm not sure that Blizzard ever achieved as much as an international brand as Whitecaps. If you think back to the NASL clubs whose names have endured in the consciousness of football supporters the world over, I think the Cosmos and Whitecaps are far and away above all others. Not even LA Aztecs, who boasted Cruyff and Best for a time, has endured as much as Cosmos and Whitecaps. I don't know why Whitecaps has endured where other NASL clubs with similar achievements have not, but having lived abroad and travelled extensively, it's my observation.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

I live in Australia and play for a football club that consists greatly of English, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, etc. ex-pats. Not everybody is a learned historian on the history of the club, but the Whitecaps' name is definitely known. Keep in mind that is a club that has boasted some pretty famous names in the past. People still recall Peter Beardsley getting his chance as a young player after he failed at Man U and then going on to play at World Cups for England. Bruce Grobellaar went straight from sharing goalkeeping duties with the 'Caps to a decade as undisputed no. 1 for the best club side in the world in the eighties. Peter Lorimer and Ruud Krol are also famous ex-Caps. Hell, we even let David O'Leary's brother play for us back in the day. The Whitecaps' brand is stronger than any current MLS club's, except for LA Galaxy, and that's only due to Beckham. It's not going to be cast aside any time soon.

Don't forget the late, great Alan Ball, World Cup winner!

Archived