Carver has a meltdown

jpg75

John Carver flipped out on some reporters at the post-game press conference this afternoon. 2 guys in particular got new ones ripped for them (i won't say who out of respect), but if you read all the MAJOR newspapers in Toronto you can probably figure out who...he'd printed out some of their articles from this week and confronted them on it. Basically said there's nothing he can do about the lack of scoring at this point and that he's tried different formations, players etc. and it seems no matter what he tries the press is on him. He mentioned TFC are still actively searching for strikers (plural) and that he's doing what he can with what he's got.

Oh, and i forgot to mention that at one point he was actually asking the entire room if we wanted to see our pro sports teams in this city succeed - because of all the negative press surrounding the Leafs etc. One of the guys who got confronted questioned Carvers' professionalism, got an earful back from Carver, and then stormed out of the room.

Wow. That is crazy. Especially considering that the TFC press (Sun, Star, Globe) is pretty lame. It seems to me TFC is under very little scrutiny. I don't know why Carver would flip out like that. The Leafs are under a way bigger microscope. The media that covers TFC is inexperienced and often writes softball articles.

If TFC was in England Carver would be feeling it a lot more right now. If TFC was in Italy Carver would have been fired by now.

Seems like this guy has a big chip on his shoulder for some reason.

Well while he shouldn't be flipping out at the reporters who are asking the obvious questions of a coach of a team which is really struggling, I can almost understand. They should probably be asking the questions to Guevara, Robert and Cunningham who obviously are not up to the task and to Mo who spent the money to bring in players who from all appearances are incapable of doing their jobs.

What the Hell?

You know, Carver has been around the block on his bicycle more than once and I can understand he's frustrated, but he MUST know the amount of scrutiny he is under from the local press is sweet-dick-all compared to that which would accompany a job with any British team with a similar fan base.

Going to play arm chair analyst here and suggest the real source of Mr. Carver's frustrations do not in fact reside with a critical press but elsewhere.

With the heat he's feeling from HQ? With his inability to influence "veteran" players? With the parade of "veteran" players HQ sees fit to keep sending down to the dressing room? Don't know. But I bet John Carver does.

And there is no denying Carver is a pretty straight up guy. If his professionalism was questioned, quite rightly, because of this outburst I'd wager he's sitting somewhere stewing hot and cursing himself for shooting off his gob at the wrong people.

Or he could just be hamming it up for the benefit of his players. A public show meant to spur certain lads sulking in the dressing room. Doubt it. Don't think he's that clever.

I'm sure he's frustrated at all of the above, but he's letting us down at the end of the day. My standard is pretty low, because after Mo last year, Carver seemed like a genius just for getting some shape and tactical approach that is somewhat organized in appearance. But he's his own worst enemy right now. Granted, an MLS roster doesn't have a lot of depth, but I have a few newsflashes that have nothing to do with reporters: Velez is crap. Marshall is crap. Robert is a bad example to young players, Guevara is unreliable, and Cunningham is stealing money out of the pockets of the TFC support. You can't build Rome in a day, but why Velez et al have to start every match is beyond me. Sit their respective asses on the bench, if they don't respond, cut 'em. It's really quite simple.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

One of his big beefs was that the guys he ripped into "don't know the game" and "write a bunch of ****". He also embarassed one of them because Dichio had had to explain to him the offside rule last year.

That anecdote is a clear illustration of how much of our soccer media is short on knowledge of the game!

I can certainly understand how respect for this writer in question (that I will also not mention) might be lacking considering he was a regular writer on the TFC beat but didn't know what an offside was!

I mean come on!!!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

What the Hell?

You know, Carver has been around the block on his bicycle more than once and I can understand he's frustrated, but he MUST know the amount of scrutiny he is under from the local press is sweet-dick-all compared to that which would accompany a job with any British team with a similar fan base.

Going to play arm chair analyst here and suggest the real source of Mr. Carver's frustrations do not in fact reside with a critical press but elsewhere.

With the heat he's feeling from HQ? With his inability to influence "veteran" players? With the parade of "veteran" players HQ sees fit to keep sending down to the dressing room? Don't know. But I bet John Carver does.

And there is no denying Carver is a pretty straight up guy. If his professionalism was questioned, quite rightly, because of this outburst I'd wager he's sitting somewhere stewing hot and cursing himself for shooting off his gob at the wrong people.

Or he could just be hamming it up for the benefit of his players. A public show meant to spur certain lads sulking in the dressing room. Doubt it. Don't think he's that clever.

I think he's quite clever. I think his outburst today was intended to focus the media on him and to shield his players from the criticism that they probably deserve.

It's not a matter of trying to spur the players on. He's protecting his players as best he can.

Someone tell the media in Toronto it is only TFC's second year in the league and they are doing very well. They've been dumping on the Leafs for so long (rightly so) that they can't think of anything being a good result. Sheesh. It's TFC's second year!! :(

Last year they got 25 points out of a possible 90 for 27% and so far this year 21 out of 45 for 45%. Like what do you people in the media want? TFC to make the playoffs? Oh wait they might just do that! Hell if they were in the west they'd be tied for second with the "mighty" LA Galaxy. The have 2 games in hand on Columbus and the Revs so there is 6 points up for grabs.

Yes giving 2 points away to the league doormats sucks bad but some times things just don't go your way. The finishing drought seems to move around Montreal, Vancouver and now Toronto. Hopefully it will move south real soon ;)

Carver could have handled the situation better but the media deserve to have their heads slapped on this one.

Good to see Ibrahim playing and using his speed. Other teams might view TFC as the Geritol brigade but he can cause problems for them in ways the aging vets can't. It could be a good balance.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I think he's quite clever. I think his outburst today was intended to focus the media on him and to shield his players from the criticism that they probably deserve.

It's not a matter of trying to spur the players on. He's protecting his players as best he can.

On the evidence I have read here (and I haven't seen this particular press conference as yet), I tend to support dbailey62's view on this one.

This old get angry and stop around like a child bit is getting a little old from TFC management. Any time we lose we can pretty much expect Carver or Johnston to parade around like little kids bitching at whatever they deem outside of their control for the day.

Every time i watched our wingers run to the corner to whip in another useless cross I cringed a little bit at a system of channel football which was outdated a long time ago. That's why this team isn't scoring, because we're about as sophisticed as a cave man when it comes to varying the attack. Both to do with our players and coaches can take some blame for that.

TFC failed to win today because they played poorly, no other reason. They were only marginally less awful than their opposition. Montreal Impact deserve to win on Tuesday based on the form I saw in each of these teams last games. Shame on TFC.

I think Carver is sheltering some of those players mentioned above (Guevara, Robert and Cunningham). The Toronto media will continue to set the bar high, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Knowledge of the press is important and that will come with time. Maybe some emails to the sports editors is in order. It's true, poor play was the reason for the draw. poor shots, poor passes and plain old give aways will never help. If Carver is like this in front of the press ... I don't want to be in that dressing room!

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Someone tell the media in Toronto it is only TFC's second year in the league and they are doing very well. They've been dumping on the Leafs for so long (rightly so) that they can't think of anything being a good result. Sheesh. It's TFC's second year!! :(

Last year they got 25 points out of a possible 90 for 27% and so far this year 21 out of 45 for 45%. Like what do you people in the media want? TFC to make the playoffs? Oh wait they might just do that! Hell if they were in the west they'd be tied for second with the "mighty" LA Galaxy. The have 2 games in hand on Columbus and the Revs so there is 6 points up for grabs.

I'm not sure if what you said was tongue in cheek or what, but when you say they have 21 out of 45 possible points so far, keep in mind that at this point last year they had 18 out of 45.

Statistically speaking, not the great improvement that everybody is lauding.

Last year they had the ready-made excuse of injuries and expansion franchise to explain their mid-season collapse. If they don't smarten up, they'll have to come up with some new ones.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'm not sure if what you said was tongue in cheek or what, but when you say they have 21 out of 45 possible points so far, keep in mind that at this point last year they had 18 out of 45.

Statistically speaking, not the great improvement that everybody is lauding.

Last year they had the ready-made excuse of injuries and expansion franchise to explain their mid-season collapse. If they don't smarten up, they'll have to come up with some new ones.

Yes at this point in the season they are just slightly ahead of where they were in their inaugural season but they have shown streaks of excellent play. That is something I didn't see last year.

They are an improved team and if they can get a few 2 or 3 game winning streaks in the second half of the season they might just make the playoffs. How many points will they end the season with? There is an idea for a pool thread [8D]

I've always said the first year for an MLS expansion team is a write off, the second they have to show improvement and the third they should make the playoffs or come damn close.

You know that "I'm taking the pressure off the team" might work elsewhere, but right here Carver is setting himself up to be a target for fans. Look under that blog by Morgan, Carver is getting ripped a new one and the players aren't far being on the hit list.

I'm sure, when he's not in front of the media he's ripping them a new one. That would keep any MLS player tense considering their job security is pretty much nil.

I don't think the media has anything to do with the substitutions.

Taking off one defender for another in the 86th minute of a do or die qualification match and letting your third sub go to waste is beyond the pale.

That and his continued use of Laurent warrants termination papers and Mo should hit the road with him for not buying a decent striker.

yeah, but James wasn't playing as a defender, was he? He's already shown that he can score with his head and Carver's tactic was to just dump long balls into the 18 yard box for hime to head home (and nearly did in the 89th), because at that point Montreal was definately playing for the draw and sitting behind the ball. The only problem was that the players still seemed content to work through midfield rather than just bombing it forward. I thought it was a great tactical substitution, being as if TFC had scored a late winner, James would have been able to simply slot back in as a CB to defend the lead. As for not using all of his subs; if you look at who was on the bench the only other 'attacking' option was Jarrod Smith, and while i rate him slightly higher that Cunningham (cuz he works for it), we all know he wasn't going to score a goal.

going back to the original post, i think Carver is obviously a passionate guy who speaks his mind and is getting just as frustrated as everybody else and its showing.

"Any time we lose we can pretty much expect Carver or Johnston to parade around like little kids bitching at whatever they deem outside of their control for the day." ag futbol (sorry i'm new and haven't figured out how to quote yet)

I think if you'd look back a few games (possibly the last Cup game?) I remember Carver taking full responsibility for playing the wrong team in the first half.

He's not perfect, but I'd take him over any other MLS coach at the moment.

quote:Originally posted by Oakenshield

I don't know how you can say that.

I'd easily take Nicol, Preki, Osario, over Carver any day. Probably a few others i'd put on that list as well.

We've been out coached numerous times this year. Most recently to a USL level team who's fans regularly rip their own manager as being pathetic and backwards.

quote:Originally posted by Oakenshield

yeah, but James wasn't playing as a defender, was he? He's already shown that he can score with his head and Carver's tactic was to just dump long balls into the 18 yard box for hime to head home (and nearly did in the 89th), because at that point Montreal was definately playing for the draw and sitting behind the ball.

Valez and James have scored the same number of goals so I don't think there's a clear case for using a substitution for that and no excuse for not using his third substitute.

Route 1 football should never be a game plan. You should definitely use route 1 but it can't be your sole answer. Not to mention that expecting a rookie defender with a few games under his belt to play up front is not the wisest decision, expecting him to win you a game as important as the one against Montreal is crazy.

quote: The only problem was that the players still seemed content to work through midfield rather than just bombing it forward. I thought it was a great tactical substitution, being as if TFC had scored a late winner, James would have been able to simply slot back in as a CB to defend the lead. As for not using all of his subs; if you look at who was on the bench the only other 'attacking' option was Jarrod Smith, and while i rate him slightly higher that Cunningham (cuz he works for it), we all know he wasn't going to score a goal.

Smith has a better goals per minute ratio than everyone but Dichio, Cunningham, and Ibrahim. If you want a powerful presence up front he's the best TFC have to date. There's no argument that TFC should have better.

quote:

going back to the original post, i think Carver is obviously a passionate guy who speaks his mind and is getting just as frustrated as everybody else and its showing.

Frankly I can't remember seeing the squad so despondent even during a long goal draught. I often wonder if his style or lack of man management skills is eating away at the moral of the squad. His persistence with Robert is baffling.

quote:

"Any time we lose we can pretty much expect Carver or Johnston to parade around like little kids bitching at whatever they deem outside of their control for the day." ag futbol (sorry i'm new and haven't figured out how to quote yet)

I think if you'd look back a few games (possibly the last Cup game?) I remember Carver taking full responsibility for playing the wrong team in the first half.

That's the game where he made three substitutions at half time and tried to play a 3-5-2 despite the fact that he doesn't have a single wing back in the squad, never mind two?

And you might want to watch that interview again. He says he takes responsibility and then lays into his players for the next ten minutes.

quote:

That's just absurd. Carver has never done anything significant in his management career. He had only won two games as manager before he took over the job at TFC. Just about any MLS coach has better record and more experience than Carver.

Archived