Gerry Dobson Blog Entry on Canada Support

djcuse

Guys Gerry has been the best since the arrival of ...anyway,Gerry and I are good friends and his desire to that total support for Canada I can't even match. He is totally in our corner and any guy who is on National TV and calls our sport football is fantastic as well as very daring.

Gerry I knew you were reading the old 54 board but I have that sneaky suspition that you also reading the V's.Gerry you are amazing and your efforts to help us are applauded by me and many others.

Keep up the very good work and I guess we should make you the honorary V.

I also love that the two of them (gerry and Craig) aren't afraid to get pissed off. Like with the offside call in the gold cup, they were just yelling "Canada's got ripped off AGAIN!!"

It shows everyone watching that we're sick of being nice and respectful, we want to be loud and proud just like other countries.

And he's absolutely right to point to this and call out fans, keep it up gerry. loud and proud.

it's not just being nice and respectful, I believe most Canadians just don't get it that WCQ is a different beast. Lack of a deep footballing culture - especially supporters culture doesn't help.

So, they don't realize that this ain't your mother's North American sports event or Olympics. WCQ is life and death everywhere in the world except in North America.

Besides winning the matches in Canada, we Voyageurs need to show this to the rest of Canada. If we can come close to what TFC supporters have achieved, it's mission accomplished.

quote:Originally posted by red card

it's not just being nice and respectful, I believe most Canadians just don't get it that WCQ is a different beast. Lack of a deep footballing culture - especially supporters culture doesn't help.

So, they don't realize that tt ain't your mother's North American sports event or Olympics. WCQ is life and death everywhere in th world except in North America.

Besides winning the matches in Canada, we us Voyageurs need to show this to the rest of Canada. If we can come close to what TFC supporters have achieved, it's mission accomplished.

I guess I am repeating myself over and over again and this goes back to the old 54 board.Yes this is so vital and so challenging for all of us. This soccer thing is surreal and even I looking at these crazy TC fans can't believe how really deep down this goes.It is so magnificent and so huge that even I never ever expected to see this great amount of enthusiasm and commitment.

I also know that no sport in Canada has this incredible impact and has created so much real natural excitement. Yes it is soccer and that should explain it all,but even I don't really understand this.

This soccer religion is superb and the upcoming game will be one very historic moment in soccer. Heck I am associated with the History of Canadian soccer and I just can see the pictures I would like to see on the various halls we have.

So get ready and spread the word ,Canadian soccer is very very big time and the world will know.

Another fine article from a great Canadian Soccer statesman.

I agree with John tv, we should make Gerry and Craig honourary Voyageur's, and next time we get an order of scarves in we should send them both one to show our appreciation for all the wonderful work they do spreading the word.

(And of course it would help to get another mention on National T.V.) ;)

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

Well I'am not so sure that the Montreal match was not catered to the away team I mean the whole south side was almost all gone to the Hondurans so maybe Gerry should review his article because the Sept 6th match will be very close to an away match sadly !

I posted an e-mail from the CSA event manager in the thread you started about this. She explained to me themiddle of the southside was reserves for CSA sponsors, media and FQSF. Only section 223 is honduran.

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

Well I'am not so sure that the Montreal match was not catered to the away team I mean the whole south side was almost all gone to the Hondurans so maybe Gerry should review his article because the Sept 6th match will be very close to an away match sadly !

It is very hard to know what is going on for this game. However, from what I can figure out many sections have been reserved for Quebec soccer clubs and this type of people. It may not be hard core support like in the Voyageurs section but it is better than Hondurans having tickets. It seems to me that the CSA must give 10% of the tickets to the away team by FIFA rules and they are sticking to that. I can only hope that the people who get these sections that are reserved come to the game and don't sell their tickets to scalpers. I am nervous about the game but am also hopeful that the majority of people will be Canada fans.

Thank god sorry Loyola I didn't read that part in my last thread... I was going by what the ticket master guy at the Saputo Stadium was saying... at least the crowd should 75% Canadian:) now I'am more at ease :).. I will be getting tickets in section 113 or 115 so me and around 20 other people will be chanting with you guys :) I just hope we win both home games or we are screwed :P

quote:Originally posted by djcuse

Great Great Article From Dobson on Sportsnet Website:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/07/18/dobson_fans/

This caught my eye:

"Yes, there will be away support in Toronto, as there will be for the Honduras game in Montreal Sept. 6 and for the Mexico match in Edmonton Oct. 15t. We'll have all the matches on Sportsnet by the way. But the Canadian ticket-buying public has to step up and give our National team all the support it deserves."

Let's hold him to that.

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

This caught my eye:

"Yes, there will be away support in Toronto, as there will be for the Honduras game in Montreal Sept. 6 and for the Mexico match in Edmonton Oct. 15t. We'll have all the matches on Sportsnet by the way. But the Canadian ticket-buying public has to step up and give our National team all the support it deserves."

Let's hold him to that.

I don't doubt Sportsnet will broadcast all three games. Whether or not they'll be shown live is the big question.

Well if things follow the current trend, out west here we'll get the games live (except Edmonton perhaps) while all of you out east will get them tape delayed. I have conflicting views towards this approach, though, as I wonder whether the tape delaying will encourage people to go see the game live or will just move the game out of a prime tv spot (earlier in the evening thus easier for people to watch).

Archived